Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine/Oil Skid to work with Currie VXR60 Axles

Old 05-23-2018, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Engine/Oil Skid to work with Currie VXR60 Axles

I recently installed Currie VXR60 axles and the JCR engine/oil skid will not work with it. The differential makes contact with the corner of the skid and mounting arm.

In the pic I circled where it is making contact. Anybody know of a skid that should work with my set up? (VXR60s with RK 3.5 lift)

I looked the Evo and it looks like they would work. However, strictly based upon pictures, I can't say that I am a huge fan of how the tranny skid runs up/over the exhaust cross over and the exhaust/cross member skid then is separate to cover the cross over pipe which creates a "ledge" if you will that can either catch on something or hold mud. Not a solid/flat belly pan. It may no be a big deal, but I'm just not sure on it.

Artec may or may not work. Don't know for sure.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

That skid is overkill and, IMO, unnecessary.

I'm assuming you're running 40's with those 60's? The EVO oil pan and trans skids are really all you need unless you're going to be running some gnarly red trails where body damage is inevitable, and/or you don't trust your spotters. If you can't return or sell it, I'd just trim away with an angle grinder until there's no more contact.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoraBora
That skid is overkill and, IMO, unnecessary.

I'm assuming you're running 40's with those 60's? The EVO oil pan and trans skids are really all you need unless you're going to be running some gnarly red trails where body damage is inevitable, and/or you don't trust your spotters. If you can't return or sell it, I'd just trim away with an angle grinder until there's no more contact.
I'm running 37's right now. The Evo skids do look like they should work and be sufficient. What are your thoughts on this area that I referenced being a potential catching point for sticks, log, or mud? Area created by the trans skid going over the exhaust cross over and then the exhaust/cross member skid coming across. He are pics for reference.

Old 05-24-2018, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any opinions on what I have pointed out with the Evo skids?

I wonder if the Artec, River Raider, or M.O.R.E. skids would work as they seem to be more narrow than the JCR?
Old 05-24-2018, 03:32 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 202 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by MAG00
I wonder if the Artec, River Raider, or M.O.R.E. skids would work as they seem to be more narrow than the JCR?
My 2 cents, and not a lot to back up this opinion either: They look like catch points to me too. Initially I used a full skid from the front of oil pan to the crossmember. But it hit the diff when the bump stops compressed, reduced clearance, and generally hurt more than it helped. Switched to a simple Rancho oil pan skid/cover, and since mine's a manual trans, nothing under the transmission. To me, the more comprehensive skids look like they will bend/break hitting rocks at certain places, doing just as much (or more) damage as without them.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue with the Currie 44. I have the rock hard skid. We had to trim it and reshape a bit to make it work. Of course Currie and rockhard have never heard of it.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

I wouldn't worry about it. All you need is an oil pan skid, diff covers, and a transmission skid (if it's an auto). Once the stock cross member gets all beat to hell, replace it with a thicker one (Artec, Evo, Clayton). The stock transfer case and gas tank skids do their job very well, and don't need replacing. I have beaten the living hell out of my gas tank skid to the point where my Jeep would take one less gallon gas. I dropped and flattened the skid with a BFH and shot it with a coat of paint. All good for more abuse. The gas tank is completely fine, and the Jeep fills up to full again. I might get a thicker skid plate just for the sake of saving myself that hassle again, but the stock one really does protect well.

I hate to mention his name, but Wayalife (specifically Eddie) really showed us how much of a beating the stock skids can take. Bolting a bunch of skids (weight) underneath is mostly unnecessary. Protect what's important. Like I said, just my $0.02.

Then again, who am I kidding....if I had the $$ to burn I'd get the Artec kit.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BoraBora
I wouldn't worry about it. All you need is an oil pan skid, diff covers, and a transmission skid (if it's an auto). Once the stock cross member gets all beat to hell, replace it with a thicker one (Artec, Evo, Clayton). The stock transfer case and gas tank skids do their job very well, and don't need replacing. I have beaten the living hell out of my gas tank skid to the point where my Jeep would take one less gallon gas. I dropped and flattened the skid with a BFH and shot it with a coat of paint. All good for more abuse. The gas tank is completely fine, and the Jeep fills up to full again. I might get a thicker skid plate just for the sake of saving myself that hassle again, but the stock one really does protect well.

I hate to mention his name, but Wayalife (specifically Eddie) really showed us how much of a beating the stock skids can take. Bolting a bunch of skids (weight) underneath is mostly unnecessary. Protect what's important. Like I said, just my $0.02.

Then again, who am I kidding....if I had the $$ to burn I'd get the Artec kit.
I'm find with using the stock cross member and gas tank skid. And the Evo oil pan skid would be fine as well. I'm just not sure I like their transmission skid that runs up and over the exhaust crossover. I would rather it come back from the oil skid to the cross member.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:53 AM
JK Freak

I'm find with using the stock cross member and gas tank skid. And the Evo oil pan skid would be fine as well. I'm just not sure I like their transmission skid that runs up and over the exhaust crossover. I would rather it come back from the oil skid to the cross member.
Yeah I agree with you. It's mind boggling that it goes OVER the exhaust instead of protecting it, which makes you feel obligated to buy their "transmission crossmember exhaust skid" for another $200 . The cheapest/simplest route would be to make your own transmission skid (if you're into projects like that) that goes from their oil pan skid to the crossmember. The design is so simple, you could probably do it on a Sunday afternoon with just a sheet of 3/16", a cut off wheel, and a drill. Hardest part would be putting that slight bend in it, but for every will there's a way (BFH and some creativeness).

Then again, their system works and people don't seem to be having the issues you're worried about. It's a valid concern, but on 37's and 3.5" of lift...that area is pretty tucked up and out of the way anyways. With good lines, I doubt you'll ever have issues with the exhaust crossover.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I exchanged messages with BosRacing on facebook and they said they are running Artec skids with Currie VXR60s with RK 3.5 long arm suspension. I would think it would work with my set up (Currie VXR60s and RK 3.5 mid arm) as well. Shouldn't it?

Quick Reply: Engine/Oil Skid to work with Currie VXR60 Axles