Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ESP help

Old 01-06-2007, 07:43 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by daddyo
I read in a magazine (JP Magazine, I think) that you could have the dealer unload the ESP from your JK.

Does anyone know if this is true?
I have inquired about this extensively and unless JP knows something that I don't, no, it isn't true.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:45 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by ponpeta
ThinkMud
There is a thread on here with pictures it is very simple, just do a search. I would like to get up with you to go wheeling somewere here in VA?
Here it is...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=766&page=2&highlight=steering+tur nbuckle

Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read in a magazine (JP Magazine, I think) that you could have the dealer unload the ESP from your JK.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I have driven vehicles without that kind of crap all my life and lived to tell about it. I don't want my vehicle to take actions on my behalf.

Andrew
daddyo
The ESP is there for a reason and it does work properly I have installed a 3 1/4" lift along with 35" tires, at first it was my fault I was in a hurry to drive it with out adjusting the steering wheel before hand, and yes the JK has a life of its own. It will shock the hell out of you at first, but after I adjusted the steering wheel to align with the tires the problem has all but went away, if you want to esp to kick in now you have to make it happen by driving it like an idiot. But remember it's a JEEP not a sports car, sports cars are made to go fast and look pretty but jeeps are made to roll and have fun doing it.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ponpeta
The ESP is there for a reason
The same thing could be said about anything. It doesn't mean it is a good.

Sometimes I like to skid, or fishtail, or do a donut. To be honest, however, I don't like ESP on principle as much as I don't like it for practical reasons.

Imagine that they had technology that sensed the terrain ahead, while you were offroad, and prevented you from attempting an obstacle that was too challenging.

What if they had a system that prevented you from driving down a road if there was inclement weather ahead?

If they had software that prevented you from exceeding the speed limit, would that be good?

I think that this is a bad trend of increasingly using technology, in the name of safety, to do something that people can (they really can) do for themselves. I think it is corrosive of certain human virtues.

Andrew
Old 01-07-2007, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

The same thing could be said about anything. It doesn't mean it is a good.

Sometimes I like to skid, or fishtail, or do a donut. To be honest, however, I don't like ESP on principle as much as I don't like it for practical reasons.

Imagine that they had technology that sensed the terrain ahead, while you were offroad, and prevented you from attempting an obstacle that was too challenging.

What if they had a system that prevented you from driving down a road if there was inclement weather ahead?

If they had software that prevented you from exceeding the speed limit, would that be good?

I think that this is a bad trend of increasingly using technology, in the name of safety, to do something that people can (they really can) do for themselves. I think it is corrosive of certain human virtues.

Andrew
I thought the ESP could be turned off? In fact, I thought it had three settings for different driving conditions. Or is that something else I'm thinking of?

As far as the new systems and the added safety they provide, I am all for it.

How many times have you grumbled at the "idiot" in the car next to you that you didn't feel should even have a license? How about the ass who’s too busy talking on phone to signal or even look into the next lane and then they have to suddenly make a violent adjustment or else side-swipe your Jeep? You can thank the new systems for helping them maintain control and not ruining your new Jeep.

Just think of it as a safety net that is going to keep someone else from ruining your day.

Beel
Old 01-07-2007, 03:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Beel_MT
How many times have you grumbled at the "idiot" in the car next to you that you didn't feel should even have a license? How about the ass who’s too busy talking on phone to signal or even look into the next lane and then they have to suddenly make a violent adjustment or else side-swipe your Jeep? You can thank the new systems for helping them maintain control and not ruining your new Jeep.
ESP does not keep them from switching lanes into me. It does not keep them from running a red light. It does not keep them from going innapropriately fast or innapropriately slow.

I think it makes people, and those idiots in particular, complecent and less attentive to their driving.

Andrew
Old 01-07-2007, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

ESP does not keep them from switching lanes into me. It does not keep them from running a red light. It does not keep them from going innapropriately fast or innapropriately slow.

I think it makes people, and those idiots in particular, complecent and less attentive to their driving.

Andrew
No, it's not going to keep them from doing those things. However, maybe it will keep them from doing doughnuts and losing control. Just this last weekend someone took down a tree in the front yard because they we're screwing around and lost control. If ESP prevented them from being able to do doughnuts, it's alright with me.

The systems do not make people less attentive. Most people don't even give the features a second thought. The people themselves choose to be lazy and inattentive. It's extremely common to see someone driving through my neighborhood, doing 40-45 mph (25 mph zone) and talking on their phone. Those people do not decide that's ok because their car has the latest safety features, they drive like that because they don't care.

It's just a difference of opinion, some will like the features others won't.

Beel
Old 01-07-2007, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I agree 100% with Beel on this one. Inattentive drivers are going to be inattentive, regardless of the safety features in their cars. No, EPS will not prevent them from swerving toward us, but it may keep us from losing control of our vehicles as we take evasive action.

While I agree that technology is slowly taking over our lives and degrading our quality of life in some instances, I feel when it comes to the safety of my family, if it helps, then I am all for it.

If you do not like the ESP, feel free to turn it off (see pages 110-111 in the owner's manual as to how).

Andrew
And for the record, people cannot apply a single brake on only one wheel of their vehicle to decrease their risk of a roll-over, nor can they pump the brakes and release them as fast as a computer can under emergency braking to keep from losing steering control due to skidding tires. Should you choose to deactivate the safety features of your Jeep because of your stubborn and ignorant pride, knock yourself out, but just don't drive near my family. These features are not designed to take away your power and control, but to try and save your life.

As a doctor, I tell people every day what is best for their health, and what not to do if they want to live long and healthy lives, that's the easy part. It is up to them (you) to heed that advise, or not. That's the hard part. Those that don't, eventually find themselves in my office with lung cancer from smoking, or in my ER after plowing into a tree while drinking/driving, or paralyzed after a stroke because they "didn't need" to take blood pressure medicine to lower their pressure, or medicines to lower their cholesterol. I never needed them before, why should I need them now?

I have driven vehicles without that kind of crap all my life and lived to tell about it. I don't want my vehicle to take actions on my behalf.

Andrew
PRIDE is a terrible thing some times... it causes too much needless loss of life.

That's my .02 cents worth. Take it with a grain of salt!

Tom
Bryson City, NC
Old 01-07-2007, 08:42 PM
JK Newbie

Spud, pride has nothing to do with it, it is common sense. I drive within my limits.

That you call it stubborn ignorant pride makes you sound like an elitist (or a politician) to me. I am sure (as a humble doctor) you know what is best for folks. If they don't take your advice, then they too are probably stubborn and ignorant.

You should stick to public transportation. That way you won't ever be near someone who might not have stability control.

Anyhow, if someone figures out how to remove ESP, or at least make it inconspicuous with a lift and 35" tires, I'd like to know.

Andrew
Old 01-07-2007, 09:40 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Anyhow, if someone figures out how to remove ESP, or at least make it inconspicuous with a lift and 35" tires, I'd like to know.
There's nothing available yet but I can assure you that there are people working on it.

Quick Reply: ESP help