Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Esp kicking in after drag link flip

Old 04-05-2017, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
Throw your old draglink back on and report what happens....

If you do that you will need to take the track bar relocation bracket off also to maintain geometry.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You do not need a Procal to check the steering wheel center.

Is the steering wheel centered or not?

If it is off, just a little bit it will cause the problem you are currently encountering.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:21 AM
JK Newbie

The steering wheel both visually and with procal is centered.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:33 AM
JK Super Freak

When you did the flip kit did you raise the track bar at the same time? If so, did you adjust the trackbar to center the axle under the jeep before you installed the draglink? I'm just wondering if your axle isn't centered and you adjusted the draglink to center the wheel, that would cause you to "crab walk" down the road and could cause you issues even though the wheel is straight. To check if the axle is center I use a tape measure to hook on the top of the coil spring pocket and measure out to a common tread block on each tire.

Edit: In your pictures it kind of looks like your trackbar is not mounted to a high steer bracket. If so, running your draglink flipped and your trackbar in the stock mounts will cause bump steer because they are supposed to be parrallel.

Last edited by mdash; 04-05-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spell check
Old 04-05-2017, 11:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mdash
When you did the flip kit did you raise the track bar at the same time? If so, did you adjust the trackbar to center the axle under the jeep before you installed the draglink? I'm just wondering if your axle isn't centered and you adjusted the draglink to center the wheel, that would cause you to "crab walk" down the road and could cause you issues even though the wheel is straight. To check if the axle is center I use a tape measure to hook on the top of the coil spring pocket and measure out to a common tread block on each tire.

Edit: In your pictures it kind of looks like your trackbar is not mounted to a high steer bracket. If so, running your draglink flipped and your trackbar in the stock mounts will cause bump steer because they are supposed to be parrallel.

I was noticing the same exact thing. Looks like a stock track back and no adjustment brackets whatsoever to accomodate the lift. I'm guessing he has some pretty severe bumpsteer with the drag link and track bar that far out of whack. Bad bumpsteer could cause the ESP light to come on.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPRSLO
I was noticing the same exact thing. Looks like a stock track back and no adjustment brackets whatsoever to accomodate the lift. I'm guessing he has some pretty severe bumpsteer with the drag link and track bar that far out of whack. Bad bumpsteer could cause the ESP light to come on.
I was wondering about that. You can lower the frame side or raise the axle side. I prefer raising the axle.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Albino Lizard
I was wondering about that. You can lower the frame side or raise the axle side. I prefer raising the axle.
I've used the Synergy flip kit with success on two JKs. Good parts. I'm using an EVO track bar bracket from their truss now with an Ultimate Offroad Dynamics flipped drag link. I refer axle side myself.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SPRSLO
I've used the Synergy flip kit with success on two JKs. Good parts. I'm using an EVO track bar bracket from their truss now with an Ultimate Offroad Dynamics flipped drag link. I refer axle side myself.
I have the evo flip and track bar relocation bracket. I'll probably end up replacing the drag link eventually with a metal cloak. Drives great and I've had no problems.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

You are correct there is no track bar relocation bracket. Now I just need to figure out weather it is worth it to just put the stock drag link back on or try adding the bracket.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

I do have a adjustable track bar and the wheels are centered under the jeep. I didn't think I needed to relocate it if the track bar was adjustable. But if I understand ya'll correctly the angle of the track bar is as important as the wheels being centered under the jeep

Quick Reply: Esp kicking in after drag link flip