Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Evo coilover options- opinions needed!

Old 01-20-2017, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo coilover options- opinions needed!

Opinions wanted! I have a 2008 JKU sahara and want to put coilovers on it because I love to go fast! From the bit of research I have down, it seems that the EVO Double Throwdown kit is the way to go for ultimate performance. My Jeep is not very modified right now, I have 35’s on a 3.5” lift, with bumpers/sliders all around. I need some guidance as to what to do first, ideally, I would love to buy the suspension and do that first, then upgrade axles. Unfortunately the kits are only made for D44’s and up. My current suspension is shot and needs upgraded. I would love upgraded axles, but would honestly rather have great working suspension first. I am learning that might not be an option.

In your opinion, would it be silly to go with the standard EVO coilover kit, and eventually upgrade and add bypasses?

Anyway I could do the double throwdown on my current axles (D30 and D35), or would that be too big of a pain? (I know they are weak axles, but like I said I value amazing suspension more than having a locker/badass axle in the front)
Old 01-20-2017, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

The EVO DTD is def the suspension designed for high speed desert runs. But, it will be pointless to add this system to a stock D30 axle and even a stock D44. These axles just simply can't handle the stress as you will want to go fast to utilize the DTD to its full potential.

The EVO bolt on kit still works great but not at the same caliber. Regardless of which suspension you have, your axles will be your weak link.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default EVO MFG Litft

I have a 2008 Jeep jku sport. I am the same way i wanted a coilover kit I went with EVO MFG enforcer pro kit this is the stage 1 kit it converts the jeep to coilovers front and rear. I love the kit it works great and rides better than any other lift I've had and I've had a lot ( Rock Crawler, teraflex bds). So i went with the EVO MFG enforcer pro kit for the price and i can upgrade to the double throw down kit later. The enforcer pro kit is great i can do 50 down pretty ruff roads and i have 37's. I also started with the dana 30 front and upgraded later on to the dynatrac pro rock 44. Great lift i defiantly recommend it. let me know if you want to know anything else about the lift kit.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Ricky47, good point. I guess I could just as easily break a D30 going fast as I could going slow? I just always assumed crawling and having more of a load on it would cause more stress, but as I say that, it sounds silly. Going fast will probably put the MOST stress on it.

MKPjk08, dude, I think you just hit the sweet spot! I am heavily leaning towards this kit now, and actually was not aware of it before you posted. So, this will bolt up to my D30 for now? Some people might think $4k for suspension is a lot, but to me it seems like a bargain!

I have a few questions on this kit: It states front aftermarket driveshaft is required, and rear recommended. What front driveshaft did you use and did you replace the rear? Other than this kit, it seems like driveshafts are the only other parts required, can you confirm or deny that?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:35 AM
JK Newbie

So the only thing that I had to buy was the front and rear drive shafts I went with Tom Woods Drive Shafts they are way nice. So the kit is a direct bolt on kit and at the same time isn't there is some cutting and welding the welding is optional but there is some cutting. I ran my kit on my dana 30 and running 37's for about 2 years did great. I don't recommend the Dana 30 but to do it in stages it works. As for a 44 axle not holding up I have a Dynatrac Pro Rock 44 housing and its bomb proof. The kit is awesome I Highly recommend it. If you do go to purchase it buy it on amazon then you don't have to worry about shipping and tax. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

A wiser move would be upgrading your axles well before you thinking coilovers are the next step.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the help MKPjk08! I will keep you posted if i have more questions

Tgoss, I was expecting someone to say that, and I completely understand where your coming from. Just curious, do you think I should upgrade axles first because I will destroy the D30 once I have coilovers? Or just because it is the logical next step? Hypothetically, if I had to choose one or the other, and the d30 would hold up, I would rather have coilovers than an upgrade front axle. That is why I want to do it first. BUT, if you are saying that is a bad move because I will break the axle, that is a different story, and I would replace the axle first if that’s the case. Please elaborate, and again, thanks all for the help!
Old 01-20-2017, 04:44 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would work with one of the venders that sells shocks and will really set up your suspension rather then going with the EVO solution that seems to be the same for every jeep. You will get better valving and coil rates by doing it right and not buying a kit that is made for any JK. There is nothing special about the "EVO JK tuning" on the king shocks, that is just a marketing gimmick. They make nice brackets but you can get towers and shock mounts for much cheaper then what you will be paying in the EVO kits.
Old 01-20-2017, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Down2Mob
Thanks for all the help MKPjk08! I will keep you posted if i have more questions

Tgoss, I was expecting someone to say that, and I completely understand where your coming from. Just curious, do you think I should upgrade axles first because I will destroy the D30 once I have coilovers? Or just because it is the logical next step? Hypothetically, if I had to choose one or the other, and the d30 would hold up, I would rather have coilovers than an upgrade front axle. That is why I want to do it first. BUT, if you are saying that is a bad move because I will break the axle, that is a different story, and I would replace the axle first if that’s the case. Please elaborate, and again, thanks all for the help!
I say this because they are a known weakness. I think if you're going to blow $4k it should be invested in something that will reap benefit by keeping you moving on the trail. To fully maximize the wonderful qualities of coilovers you WILL be doing shit that WILL put your D30 front end at risk whether that be going fast in the dirt or articulating on larger rocks.

It's a much more logical move to address the areas that should make your rig more durable unless you just want it to look bad ass on the pavement, and by all means do whatever, it's your money after all.

But, I tell you this, if you and I were out wheeling together and your C's gave out or you turn a tube or break shit I wouldn't be the least bit motivated to help you out of there with some shiny Kings under your rig on those twigs.

Doing axles and upgrading to selectable lockers properly geared front and rear is going to net you more benefit than coilovers will any day.

Just my 2 pennies. Take it for what it's worth.
Old 01-21-2017, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would work with one of the venders that sells shocks and will really set up your suspension rather then going with the EVO solution that seems to be the same for every jeep. You will get better valving and coil rates by doing it right and not buying a kit that is made for any JK. There is nothing special about the "EVO JK tuning" on the king shocks, that is just a marketing gimmick. They make nice brackets but you can get towers and shock mounts for much cheaper then what you will be paying in the EVO kits.
I disagree Ive talked with king and evo and king does have a special setup just for the jk. Mel from Evo Mfg got with king and they set up a deal where king sets up the valving for each shock and ships them to EVO MFG then Evo sends them to the customer.

The brackets i put on my kit from evo didnt look cheap they were nice and fit where on the jeep perfect.

As for getting it cheaper good luck i priced it out at Rebel Offroad and 2 other shops and each time im well over 6000

Plus with the evo kit its all done for you you k ow it works and if you run into any problems evos customer service is awesome!

As for the dana 30 axle if you get the lift or the acle first it doesnt matter your going to have to put something on twice. Unless you just buy the lift and the axle at the same time. Sure the dana 30 will eventually go out but you should be fine just dont rally it with the 30.

Last edited by MKPjk08; 01-21-2017 at 05:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo coilover options- opinions needed!