Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expected labor charge for 2.5" AEV lift - 2013 2-door Rubi

Old 11-13-2012, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put my lift on by myself last Friday night. Wasnt bad at all. Give it a try sounds like you have someone close willing to help. I did the exhaust mod and that wasn't bad either

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I really don't want to mess with installing this myself. I did my last lift with my last truck and after that, I decided that I work too many hours during the week to spend my weekend doing something I can pay others to do. This lift does not look complicated and that's why I'm asking about labor. It seems in my opinion that the two shops in the DFW area I was referred to are a little high, and based on some of the comments, they are.
I'm going to play the negotiation card and see where that gets me.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by absolutalchemy
I just for quoted 1490 for AEV dual sport xt 2.5 with geometry correction brackets and an alignment, includes all labor and shop fees. The place I talked to said 4 hour install.
Can I ask where you got the quote? I am looking in the same NJ area. The 1st quote was same as OP 1800.00 for aev 2.5, geometry bracket, and procal. I am contemplating on doing this myself, but for 300 in labor I may take that route since I don't have a great place to work on this.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I find it hard to believe its a 6-9 hour install. Me and a friend installed a full rock krawler X factor kit in a matter of 4 hours. This included all 8 control arms, front and rear trac bar, sway bar links for rear, quick discos up front, blistein 5100 shocks, and extended brake lines, and 2.5" coils Then did an alignment and had it back on the road in a matter of anther hour. We took our time and doubled checked everything since it was our first time lifting a Jk.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bfschor
I really don't want to mess with installing this myself. I did my last lift with my last truck and after that, I decided that I work too many hours during the week to spend my weekend doing something I can pay others to do. This lift does not look complicated and that's why I'm asking about labor. It seems in my opinion that the two shops in the DFW area I was referred to are a little high, and based on some of the comments, they are.
I'm going to play the negotiation card and see where that gets me.
Ok. Then buy even more meat and beer and cook while everyone else does your lift. Lol.

I have a friend that owns a shop in Red Oak, about 15- 20 minutes south of Dallas and he did my lift in about 3 hours. I was gonna help. Even WANTED TO HELP, but he kinda took over and was FAST. I know he would install yours for less than you've been quoted. He has done some other work for my shop recently and is very reasonable and he's fast. Did I say that? Haha.

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Super Freak

There is a guy on Craigslist that advertises for the dfw area. He is legit. Up in Denton.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slidnby
I live in ok and going labor rate is around 80 an hr
Better than Colorado Springs. $95ish seems to be the average. Moving to Lawton in a couple months. Hope i can find a decent shop local so I dont have to drive to 4WP in OKC.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bfschor
What would you guys say I should expect in labor costs to install a 2.5" AEV lift? I was just quoted $1,860.00 out the door, which includes the lift, geometry correction brackets and exhaust mod. Thought I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone talk about an exhaust mod for the 2.5" kit.

The kit alone from AEV is $899.00. The geometry correction brackets are $99.00. And I haven't a clue what the exhaust mod is, but can't see it being more than $60 bucks.

So all that together, puts me at about $800 for labor. AEV says 6-9 hours for install. So figuring a good shop could do it in the minimum time of 6 hours, that'd be about $133 per labor hour. That's more than what a Harley shop pays their techs!! Then again, if 9 hours is more realistic, the labor hours make more sense.

So does somewhere around $800 for labor sound about right?
That's about right, $650-$800 for install is average.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK4x4wrangler
THIS!!
I did my 3.5" AEV SC lift with my buddy, it was not hard at all. You just need to make sure you pay attention to what you are doing. It's way more rewarding to do the work yourself too.
Exactly. I just installed a 2.5" Rock Krawler max travel by myself this weekend. It took me most of the day friday and saturday. But I got way more satisfaction by doing it myself.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like every major city has a "go-to" 4-wheel shop that does these kinds of installs en masse. Have you asked around?

I wholeheartedly agree...paying for skilled labor when you just want/need something done is absolutely worth it. I've reached a point in life where I'm happy to have a pro step in considering I've only got an average garage and an average set of tools.

The shop that did mine quoted a flat rate of $350 for the install, but I also bought the kit from them and had them do some other parts as well. It was a very good deal on labor, considering.

Quick Reply: Expected labor charge for 2.5" AEV lift - 2013 2-door Rubi