JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Extended bump stops.... (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/extended-bump-stops-350408/)

JK-Pez 05-22-2019 06:16 PM

Extended bump stops....

Anyone have a brand of bump stop they are very happy with??? And any to avoid?? I’m needing +3 1/2”..... thanks for any help PS- I can’t break the bank on hydraulic....

NoVA Family Guy 05-22-2019 06:43 PM

If you're talking about replacement jounce bumpers, I've used the Energy Suspension bumpers for four years now. They work well but you would want to count some of the bumper in with the total bump stop you have, because they are pretty firm. They flex maybe 1/4". Metalcloak now makes a poly bumper that is, what's the word - corrugated? Looks like they will flex more than the Energy Suspension.

For actual bump stops, I just bought six hockey pucks for the front - three on each side - and drilled them out for a long bolt into the spring perch/stock stop. Lots of kits out there that do the exact same thing (for about 4x the cost). I'm using the Rough Country 2" bump stop spacers in the rear (they're literally just a piece of 2"x3" tubing with holes in the right places for bolting on). No need to get fancy with bump stop extensions.

karls10jk 05-23-2019 02:33 AM

I went the same route- 4 pucks, $8. Drill the center, bolt them in. They're conveniently roughly an inch.

resharp001 05-23-2019 05:16 AM

I've gone the hockey puck route before. Last time I had pulled my front axle to upgrade some brackets a few years back, I replaced those pucks with actual bumpstops. It was a waste of $40. Pucks work fine up front. In the rear, depending on your set up and potential build changes, it seems a bit more of a moving target. I think it's helpful to have a larger bump, and adjustablility is nice in case you ever change anything. I like the Metalcloak adjustable ones in the rear. My axle is pushed back with adjustable arms, so the way those bumps stagger forward a bit work nicely for me.

JK-Pez 05-24-2019 08:06 AM

Nice!!!! Thanks....

Hockey pucks it shall be for the front then..... definitely hard enough w/slight flex and great price......perfect! I’ll look into Metalcloak for the rears as an option..... thanks for your help

resharp001 05-24-2019 08:10 AM

You might even look around craigslist, or if you have some local groups, drop a line out there. A lot of times people have basic blocks used in the rear that they might just give to you to get outta the garage....usually just those rectangles that are 2" if mounted one direction, or 3" if you stand em on end. Bumps don't have to be fancy by any means. Simple square tubing works to if you need 2".

Ajkaz 05-29-2019 06:58 AM

All I've ever used for JK rear bumps is rectangular steel tubing usually 3" wide cut into a parallelogram. Go to the scrap area at your local metal shop you can usually get around 12" for a few dollars.