Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Driveshafts vs. Aftermarket Driveshafts

Old 04-19-2009, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory Driveshafts vs. Aftermarket Driveshafts

I do quite a bit of wheeling. The more I see pics on this forum, or watch the project-JK videos and see members rigs' driveshafts being snapped or bent on the trails, the more I'm considering upgrading to aftermarket driveshafts such as the Teraflex and then using my OEM ones as spares.

Question:

- Strength, durability, endurance, etc... how do the OEM driveshafts compare to the aftermarket ones?
Old 04-19-2009, 09:12 PM
JK Newbie

Wheel it til you lose one then replace it. Purchase replacements and have them at the ready. If you lose your aftermarket units, the stockers aren't likely to get you home.

John
Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
I do quite a bit of wheeling. The more I see pics on this forum, or watch the project-JK videos and see members rigs' driveshafts being snapped or bent on the trails, the more I'm considering upgrading to aftermarket driveshafts such as the Teraflex and then using my OEM ones as spares.

Question:

- Strength, durability, endurance, etc... how do the OEM driveshafts compare to the aftermarket ones?
I have no complaints against my replacement drive shaft. Strength is ok they are actually more than OE. The rear DS requires upper adj control arms to set the pinion angle correctly (if not you will have some vibration).

Now, they require a new yoke at the T.case and axle I got 1310 CV which is way enough, there is also the 1350 CV which is more tough but they provide a lesser working angle (full flex) and are more expensive.

May be get away from the OE flange replacement DS, the cardan is not as close to the yoke and a least one of the forum member did have issue with vibration, which happen to be created by the fact that the cardan was to far off the yoke.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

id rather you change it once you get it cuz you dont want it to break somewhere isolated.

Quick Reply: Factory Driveshafts vs. Aftermarket Driveshafts