Federal Couragia M/T Tires are Garbage

Federal Couragia M/T Tires are Garbage

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Federal Couragia M/T Tires are Garbage

For any of you looking for an inexpensive mud tire, beware of the Federal tire brand especially the Couragia line. I purchased my jeep about a year ago and the dealer had just put these on and I thought great, new tires. Well the other day I was changing my oil and noticed a crack in the sidewall on the front passenger tire. After a closer look,I found three of the five we coming apart and they only had 25,000 miles on them with more than 50% tread left. Unfortunately the store that the dealer got them from has gone out of business and only Les Schwab carries them now. Les Schwab will only warranty them to the original purchaser with a receipt. Fortunately for me, My local Discount tire made me a great deal on some 35" trail grapplers and now my family and I are safe. If you have the Couragia tire and are curious, here is what to look for.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-731562501.jpg 
Views:	1293 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	513507   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2519724317.jpg 
Views:	2095 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	513508   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3686473119.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	513509  

I guess no surprise being they were cheap tires. You will definitely like the Nittos, they are awesome.

I completely support the OP, I hated my Federal MT's on my DMax, so much so that I took them off with only about 12k miles on them. I have Nitto MT on both my daily drivers now.
    Lead, follow or get out of the way.

2014 Unlimited Rubicon X, 3.5" MOPAR stage 3, 20x10 Fuel Full Blown, 37x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapps, Volant CAI, Diablo tuned.
    Next: Gears, gussets and braces and more cow bell.
    2010 2500HD 6" lift 35s on 20x10s, Deleted, bypass, EFI live tune
    2006 GMC slammed on coilovers, LSX370,PT88 (go fast)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan0260 View Post
    I guess no surprise being they were cheap tires. You will definitely like the Nittos, they are awesome.
    Wasn't aware how cheap they were until I had to replace them. So far I love the Nittos, night and day difference in ride quality. Plus I was able to get into 35's without the wife being upset. Told her it was all about safety.

JK Forum Regional Rep familytime's Avatar

I checked these out,even in the description it said cheap.
    Cow Bell

I've been running the same set of five Federals since 08/12.. They had approx 20k miles on them when I took them off of my '09 and now about 1k on my '13.. I haven't had any problems with them.. I do a 5 tire rotation every other oil change, so every 6k or so.
    - 2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon Billet Silver 10th Anniversary
    - 2009 JK X 2dr. Bright Silver Metallic (Traded in 09/2013)

R.I.P HappyCurmudgeon
    Our eternal moderator and unforgetable friend

Quote Originally Posted by o09jkny View Post
    I've been running the same set of five Federals since 08/12.. They had approx 20k miles on them when I took them off of my '09 and now about 1k on my '13.. I haven't had any problems with them.. I do a 5 tire rotation every other oil change, so every 6k or so.
    Just keep an eye on them, I also do the 5 tire rotation and was having them rotated every 3k. The tires showed no signs of cracking on the previous rotation 3k ago so it seems to be a sudden change.

Will do.. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler428 View Post
    Just keep an eye on them, I also do the 5 tire rotation and was having them rotated every 3k. The tires showed no signs of cracking on the previous rotation 3k ago so it seems to be a sudden change.
    - 2013 JK Unlimited Rubicon Billet Silver 10th Anniversary
    - 2009 JK X 2dr. Bright Silver Metallic (Traded in 09/2013)

R.I.P HappyCurmudgeon
    Our eternal moderator and unforgetable friend

What was the date code on the tires?
    Bill - 2012 Rubicon, 2013 Rubicon 10A
    billswebspace.com

Quote Originally Posted by Wrangler428 View Post
    I've heard they addressed this issue on the latest ones, and I also read they are closing these out to be replaced with a new model, so there are some good discounts on an already-cheap tire. Just ordered a set on sale. For my needs, I'm not alarmed with side wall outer skin cracking - I've lived with that for years, but I am concerned with sidewall delamination. Unless someone has had an actual "failure", I'll just assume this is a cosmetic issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast