Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First major purchase - Lift Kit or Winch?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First major purchase - Lift Kit or Winch?

I finally bought a Jeep unlimited after several years of wanting one. With 3 kids this was the only option. This will be my daily driver so I'm not going crazy with the height. My wife and kids are constantly crawling in and out. We've hardly driven her Honda Pilot since we got the Jeep.

I've done several minor mods, but I'm wanting a 2" or 2.5" lift AND a winch. I've only gotten stuck once since I had the Jeep after a lot of pipeline driving and oil field driving around Arkansas. Eventually I'll have both, but which one should be first? The one time I was stuck was because I high-centered. The lift probably would have kept me from getting stuck, but the winch would have gotten me out.

What's your opinion? Which one is more beneficial? Winch or Lift? If you could have just one, which would you pick?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-17-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Default Winch

I got the winch first and then got the lift. For that very reason, the winch would pull me out. I got the Smittybilt 10k. I then bought a used budget boost off of craigslist and the person lived across town. I am taking the BB off and replacing it with a coil lift. I bought all the parts for the 2.5" coil lift used off this forum. You wait, you will find the lift you like. Next year I may go to a bigger lift. A fellow soldier is deploying, when he returns he is going with a long arm and i might buy his 3.5" RE lift.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say winch. Depending on how you are mounting it, it will be a lot cheaper than a lift. Lots of options with a lift and it may force you to buy new wheels or wheel spacers, track bars or track bar brackets, ..........That is all coming shortly.

You can mount a winch on the stock bumper fairly cheap. But then a mounting plate is money you could put toward an aftermarket bumper. Once you add the winch and bumper you will need to balance the vehicle. The easiest way to do that is by adding an aftermarket rear bumper with a tire carrier for the 35's or 37's you are going to need next. The lift kit you buy to improve your clearance and give you some flex may come with a spacer to level it out.

Get safety equipment and recovery gear first. Even a decent come-along and a bottle jack will get you out of trouble most of the time.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the others here...get the recovery gear first. Of course this means you need to pick out a good winch bumper too
Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was debating the same thing winch or lift. Interesting point of views.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:32 AM
JK Newbie

Lift first.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rdubs20
Lift first.
X2. A high-lift and some straps work well and are cheap. Plus, they can always be used.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:51 AM
JK Newbie

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for the input guys (or gals). It's helpful to hear your opinions. Since I have the plain-jane stock bumper (no lights or tow hooks), I'm planning on mounting the winch behind it hidden like other's have done on here to avoid the cost and weight of the front bumper. I don't care if I cut it up since I won't have it for long. This will keep the winch vs. lift cost to be relatively similar (I already have a mounting plate).

Still would like to hear from others and their opinions!

Oh, and do I need to get the 10,000 lb winch for the Unlimited? Will a 8,000 or 9,000# winch work? I'm liking the "scratch and dent" Quadratec 9,000# winches. Whatcha think?

If I go with the lift I'm looking at the Rough Country 2.5" kit. Any thoughts on it? Is there something better for similar cost?

I've attached a pic of my jeep and wife when we got stuck, just for fun. This is the moment when she said, "we need a lift or winch or something." Ha!

Click image for larger version

Name:	stuck1.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	342547

THANKS!
Old 07-18-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Newbie

Im new here and dont want to rub people the wrong way...yet

But 9 out of 10 people never really use their winch. Its just a big hood ornament for most.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

Agree with WVBOARD... I owned an '01 Sport and never used the winch... and now the '10 JK. Used my winch twice. (To get someone else out.)
I always travel with another and try to maintain good tire placement. Suspension will help you keep from getting hung up.

Quick Reply: First major purchase - Lift Kit or Winch?