Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First major purchase - Lift Kit or Winch?

Old 07-18-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

"I'd rather be able to get out of a spot than look good sitting in it."

I like that line of thinking... Winch first. Of course I don't even plan on lifting mine, just a little bigger & better tires than stock, and the winch. Maybe a better rear diff, like a good limited slip or a locker. That's about it.

Was surprised how often I actually used the 8,000 Warn on a prior 4x4. Very useful for a variety of reasons.

CW
Old 07-18-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Winch is the smarter choice but a lift will nice..
Old 07-18-2012, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lift if you wheel with a buddy that has a winch...

Winch if none of your trail buddies dont have one...
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lift kit is something you'll enjoy (hopefully) everyday, a winch is something for when your having one of those days . Good discussion!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Newbie

If you wheel alone, then I would get the winch first. If not then I would buy the lift and some recovery straps and a light weight shovel to keep with you in the jeep.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
A lift kit is something you'll enjoy (hopefully) everyday, a winch is something for when your having one of those days . Good discussion!
From a lift supplier... Go figure...
Old 07-18-2012, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lol.. I say ARB lockers, and don't get stuck!!! My ARBs get me out out 3' deep Florida Gator Muck every time
Old 07-18-2012, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default wow

Thanks dshailey that was a good day. Broke about $500 worth of stuff including the winch fair lead but I had tools and had a great time just me and the dog. I laugh at the ARB locker comment cause I sure don't find me winching less now that I have a ARB locker. Must be different mud cause in 1' of mud where I live it doesn't matter how many tires are spinning if 90% of your vehicle weight is on your axle tubes on top of the mud. However gator muck does sound a little thinner then what we have here. However gator muck also sounds like the kind of stuff that leaks in your door seals. Either way sounds like a great time. Lots of good info here for the OP though. I still say winch but I do half agree with Teraflex. So get a winch first and then get a lift. However there really is no mistakes 'cause every time I go out I have a blast because I am in a JEEP.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are wheeling alone then winch first... if you wheel with a group I would go lift first. As long as there are other Jeeps around more than likely someone else has a winch and even if they didn't I have seen plenty of Jeeps pulled out with tow straps.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WVBoard
Im new here and dont want to rub people the wrong way...yet

But 9 out of 10 people never really use their winch. Its just a big hood ornament for most.

Used mine 1 month after buying it. Got hung up on a rock on the trail after sliding a foot to the right while exiting a creek and getting high centered. Glad to have my winch. No one for miles.

Quick Reply: First major purchase - Lift Kit or Winch?