Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fixed control arms vs. adjustable control arms?

Old 02-12-2019, 10:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello , I´m considering to install a lift kit, and I´m between the teraflex sport fixed complete flex arms or wait to install Teraflex Complete FlexArm System for 2.5 -3 in, my plan is use with a 2.5 inches lift kit, Rubicon Express RE7121M 2.5" Budget Boost Coil Suspension System with Monotube Shocks or Teraflex 1251002 2.5" Lift Kit with Shocks for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 Door. could you help me with your experience to name some pros and cons?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by cadenajeepjk
Hello , I´m considering to install a lift kit, and I´m between the teraflex sport fixed complete flex arms or wait to install Teraflex Complete FlexArm System for 2.5 -3 in, my plan is use with a 2.5 inches lift kit, Rubicon Express RE7121M 2.5" Budget Boost Coil Suspension System with Monotube Shocks or Teraflex 1251002 2.5" Lift Kit with Shocks for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 Door. could you help me with your experience to name some pros and cons?
If those are the only two lifts you are choosing between, go for the Teraflex kit, as the trackbar bracket has a much better design.

Is there a specific reason you are going for a full set of arms? At 2.5", a single set of front arms is all you really need. That will let you correct the caster. If you want to adjust the rear pinion, a single set of arms there will do the job. The second set at either end is for fine-tuning. It allows for moving the entire axle forward/backward in the wheel well, and of course more precise caster/pinion settings. But again, at that height, a single set of arms up front would do it. Or a set of brackets instead of arms.

For the debate of Adjustble vs Fixed, it's a judgement call. Lower price vs more ability to fine tune the caster/pinion angles. Also remember that every grease zerk needs to be ... greased. That's multiple additional places to remember during your routine maintenance. If you end up swapping to aftermarket driveshafts, could be another 6 or 8 zerks. Upgraded steering components, yet more zerks. Just something to keep in mind as you are deciding between the various components.

And if you are looking for suggestions on alternative mfgs, take a look at MetalCloak and Synergy as well.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cadenajeepjk (02-13-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

+1 to everything nthinuf said above. No reason at all to have a full set of arms at that height. It's overkill. I'd get either adjustable arms or control arm brackets over fixed length. Jeep builds tend to change over time. TBH, unless you have the jack to throw at it, you're look at $100 for some control arm brackets (more for nice 1-piece designs), and more like $600 for 4 adjustable control arms (2 front, 2 rear). If you do arms, really consider Synergy or Metalcloak. They both use a low (some might say "no") maintenance bushing you won't have to worry about greasing. Many arms you have to drop just to access the zerk, and it's a PITA.
The following 2 users liked this post by resharp001:
cadenajeepjk (02-13-2019), Primate (07-05-2020)
Old 02-13-2019, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you.. Definitive you have much more experience on it... and it great that you could guide us on the best use of our money...; )
Old 02-13-2019, 07:39 AM
JK Newbie

Summarizing you would go to the Teraflex plus probably with AEV Geometry Correction Brackets, and just in case that the arm of my jeep are damage, replace with the Crown Automotive , right?
Old 02-13-2019, 07:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Summarizing you would go to the Teraflex plus probably with AEV Geometry Correction Brackets, and just in case that the arm of my jeep are damage, replace with the Crown Automotive , right?
Is there some reason you think your control arms may be damaged? I personally wouldn't buy new factory arms (or Crowns). You should be able to find a cheap set of practically new take off arms from someone on boards or local Craigslist. One thing to keep in mind with control arm brackets. These are always in demand. Should you move to adjustable arms later on, you can always turn around and sell these, recouping probably 65-75% of the cost.
cadenajeepjk (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Summarizing you would go to the Teraflex plus probably with AEV Geometry Correction Brackets
Lol, again, if those are the 'only' two kits we can possibly decide between, then yes, I'd say Teraflex is the better choice. But do yourself a favor and at least take a look at other offerings before you pull out the credit card.

I have AEV brackets (added a full set of a metalcloak arms later) and they work just fine. But at the time, they were the only brackets available. Since then, Rancho and MetalCloak have both released their own, and it could be argued that both use a better one-piece design vs aev's build-a-bracket. So again, take a look at the various offerings...

https://metalcloak.com/jk-wrangler-h...nment-kit.html
Linked that for the pics and graphics

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-13-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrang...t-edition.html

Does it a good start? And probabily later , add the arms...

thanks in advance
Old 02-13-2019, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
+1 to everything nthinuf said above. No reason at all to have a full set of arms at that height. It's overkill. I'd get either adjustable arms or control arm brackets over fixed length. Jeep builds tend to change over time. TBH, unless you have the jack to throw at it, you're look at $100 for some control arm brackets (more for nice 1-piece designs), and more like $600 for 4 adjustable control arms (2 front, 2 rear). If you do arms, really consider Synergy or Metalcloak. They both use a low (some might say "no") maintenance bushing you won't have to worry about greasing. Many arms you have to drop just to access the zerk, and it's a PITA.
To add to Resharp's recommendations, I would also consider the Teraflex Alpine adjustable control arms. They came out not that long ago and I'ld say they rival the design of the Metalcloak adjustable arms, and beat the Synergy Arms but at a significant cost savings. Also are maintenance free. The TF Alpine arms weren't available when I purchased my adjustable Rough Country arms which I got mainly due to price compared to the other options at the time. The RC adjustable arms have served me well, no complaints but I would have definitely gotten the TF Alpine's for not much more if they were available.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/jk-2...ne-flexarm-kit

Old 02-13-2019, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

https://metalcloak.com/jeep-jk-wrang...t-edition.html

Does it a good start? And probabily later , add the arms...

thanks in advance
You won't need adjustable lower control arms with that kit. It includes adjustable front upper control arms. Caster can be adjusted by adjusting the length of the upper or lower control arms. Most prefer adjustable lowers since it's simpler to adjust caster with the lowers, where adjusting the uppers, a little adjustment tends to make a bigger difference to caster.
Primate (07-05-2020)

Quick Reply: fixed control arms vs. adjustable control arms?