Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle U Joints and Ball Joints Bad - Anyone had luck with the warranty?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Axle U Joints and Ball Joints Bad - Anyone had luck with the warranty?

Hey guys,

So when I had my jeep in last for maintenance, the guys said my front axle U joints and ball joints are bad. They quoted me $926 which is way out of my budget right now. I find it hard to believe all of these could be bad at 47,000 miles when I don't go too hard on the rig. I did have a bad tire causing death wobble that took a long time to diagnose, I am sure that probably lead to premature wearing of the joints.

I have let this go for another 1500 miles because the jeep still rides perfectly at highway speeds, but now I hear a clunk sometimes when starting from stop with the wheels turned... I recently got new tires so I am thinking I should not let this go any longer because I do not want them to wear unevenly.

$926 for those repairs seems very steep, right? I am really hoping I can get the dealer to fix the U joints under warranty, and then maybe I'll buy better aftermarket ball joints for them to install when they have everything disassembled.

Am I okay doing mostly highway driving and not using 4wd? I don't want an axle joint to break while on a road trip, leaving me screwed.

Any input or advice greatly appreciated!

If I had the tools to lift the jeep and fix it myself I would definitely do it, but unfortunately thats not an option.

For the record running:
Evo Enforcer lift ~3"
Hercules AT2 tires ~34"
2011 JKU Rubicon
Old 01-27-2015, 02:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U joints are like brake pads, they are wear items. At 47k miles, it's not a defect. You'll have to pay for them. The risk to driving with bad u joints is the possibility they damage the ears on the axle shafts - now that's when it gets expensive.

So, u joints are probably $60 for the part. An average skilled person could replace one on the trail with basic hand tools in about 30 min. Or, you can let your dealer bend you over for about $400.

As for ball joints, you can get stock ones for under $100 or upgrade to high quality for $200. Your choice. I hear the Napa Gold are a good price and are better than stock.

So, you're now at less than $200 in parts. Ball joints are a little more involved, but no more than a 2 hour job. Labor rates are usually $70-$90 an hour. Up to you to figure out why they are charging you the extra $500.

You can borrow a ball joint press from most auto parts stores. While more involved time wise, it's not hard to do. So, fix yourself for under $200 or pay up. That said, you could probably buy the parts and call some local auto shops and get it done for a lot less. Or, find some Jeepers in your area to help out. That's what our club does.

And the clunk is likely completely worn ball joints. You need to fix this stuff now before the repair bill gets much larger.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would try the dealer it's worth the chance, I work for a different manufacture and we will warranty worn u joints or axle joints all the time no questions asked, only thing I could see the dealer busting you on is your lift and tires must find a modified jeep friendly dealer. Good luck
Old 01-27-2015, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just had my ball joints and drag link done under warranty and I have 3 inch lift and 34's. I have 35 km so about 25 miles about dealer never said a thing about lift and tires you just need to find the right dealer
Old 01-28-2015, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Good luck trying the dealer, they will say its wear and tear. Ujoints are cheap and easy to replace,i use spicer ujoints. If you do an internet search you can find some DIY videos. Your better off upgrading from the factory balljoints to something heavy duty and greasable-synergy,dynatrac,etc

Quick Reply: Front Axle U Joints and Ball Joints Bad - Anyone had luck with the warranty?