Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which front CV Driveshaft and Y-Pipe do I need? (Help)

Old 12-05-2016, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do I need to look at a loop delete only if my driveshaft is rubbing or is it also for clearance issue?
Old 12-14-2016, 10:25 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tfishmrt
Do I need to look at a loop delete only if my driveshaft is rubbing or is it also for clearance issue?
From what i understand, a loop delete is necessary for when the front axle flexes down, it can hit that exhaust, hence re-routing or looping the exhaust pipes. Front CV shaft replacement has to do with getting a lift like mine, 4 inches, it changes the angle of the front drive shaft. Therefore, not immediately but in the near future if i want to do some decent off roading/trailing I will need to get an aftermarket CV shaft.

If i don't and I'm in 4 wheel drive, the driveshaft could seize up if the angle gets to drastic..
Old 12-14-2016, 10:28 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tfishmrt
go over to northridge 4x4's website, they gave a chat feature and you can ask any questions there, as well as here! Tons of great help in both places.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Originally Posted by JBulls17
From what i understand, a loop delete is necessary for when the front axle flexes down, it can hit that exhaust, hence re-routing or looping the exhaust pipes.
Nah, you're not going to hit the loop/"bugle" with anything during flex. What you hit is just the crossover that passes in front of the frame cross member. My understanding has always been that the loop, or as some refer to as "the bugle", is in the drivers side to help keep the exhaust paths from both sides of the engine the same length. I've yet to see a good reason to delete that bugle. You just need the y-pipe to re-route the exhaust from the passenger side to behind the cross member rather than in front....should you choose to go that direction. That said, just changing front drive shafts gives you a good bit of extra clearance.....and re-routing it with a y-pipe sends the exhaust fairly close to the gas tank and gas lines (think i mentioned that before).

Last edited by resharp001; 12-14-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have as high of a lift but I was going to order the rough country y-pipe since my spacers are leaking on the pass side. As for the shaft I have no input for u

Quick Reply: Which front CV Driveshaft and Y-Pipe do I need? (Help)