Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Rubi D44 Truss or Sleeve Dilemma with 37s..

Old 08-25-2017, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
also unless you are wheeling hard and fast you can probably get by running 37's on stock axles unless you are not using your head while wheeling. There a literally 1000's of guys running 37's on stock axles and they are not folding like some would have you believe. Sure if you are running KOH or BFE you might want to upgrade but if you are doing light to medium stuff depending on what you consider light to medium you should be fine. For me I would consider something like the rubicon or dusy ershim light to medium.
Thanks for the advice man. I'm out east in the forests lol. Up and down hills, some days its mud... and throw in a few decent size boulders. I usually go wherever the group goes, and we aint headed to Hammer Town any time soon lol. More than anything im trying to avoid trail breakdowns and bent axle tubes. When i bust ball joint ill probably just upgrade to synergy joints. Thanks for the input and reassurance.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by austin160
I run 37's on a rubi axle with artec gussets and synergy weld in sleeves, also synergy ball joints. I run medium to hard trails in my area, but don't hit the skinny pedal to get over obstacles very often.

Sleeves will not keep the axle from breaking, but for 100$ it is an easy piece of mind. I got my axles(front and rear) complete for 2k with lockers, then stripped them down for a complete rebuild. I put Artec front LCA brackets and front and rear track bar mounts. I have put a few rides on these axles at Stoney Lonesome and AOP with no issues so far. I ride with others running the same setup that drive a lot crazier than me, and have been doing so for a lot longer with no issues.

My plan is to run it until it breaks or bends, if that happens I will get a G2 housing and swap the internals over for 1500$.
Yeah i feel ya.. i have talked to a bunch of people an they say if i can get away with a truss then go truss, if not go sleeves. Hoping to stay away from the bent tube scenario and build some super dutys, a little at a time.. and the budget allows. Gonna run the D44s as long as i can, so to make them last is the goal. Thanks man
Old 08-31-2017, 08:16 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I’m a little late to this thread. I run 37’s on Rubi 44 axle. I run fairly aggressive trails in general. Nothing that you look at and immediately think “I need a D60 and 40s for this thing”, but things that a lot of people out just dinking around in their DD’s would pass up. I personally don’t think sleeves are worth it. Slap some gussets on and replace your BJs at that time. If you are doing your own welding, a truss isn’t THAT much more money to put on there, but I just don’t think it’s a make or break. If anything I think it adds a false sense of peace of mind if anything. I never had any issues wheelin’ my style with just gussets. I will say I went ahead and completed building my axle with a truss, new LCA mounts, and new shock mounts….but only because I bent one of the factory shock brackets and was having to pull the axle to make repairs. I can’t weld myself, but had a hookup that was dirt cheap, so I paid the extra small bit for a truss parts as well (the welding wasn’t gonna cost me more really)…..more from the standpoint of “I’m pulling this thing again….may as well complete it” more than “boy, I really need this truss for security purposes”. If you're looking at having to pay labor to weld that truss on, it’s not worth it IMO. If you're welding it yourself.....meh, it's not that much more for parts so maybe. Gussets, BJs, go have fun. If you’re gonna go run KOH, upgrade the axle.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
I’m a little late to this thread. I run 37’s on Rubi 44 axle. I run fairly aggressive trails in general. Nothing that you look at and immediately think “I need a D60 and 40s for this thing”, but things that a lot of people out just dinking around in their DD’s would pass up. I personally don’t think sleeves are worth it. Slap some gussets on and replace your BJs at that time. If you are doing your own welding, a truss isn’t THAT much more money to put on there, but I just don’t think it’s a make or break. If anything I think it adds a false sense of peace of mind if anything. I never had any issues wheelin’ my style with just gussets. I will say I went ahead and completed building my axle with a truss, new LCA mounts, and new shock mounts….but only because I bent one of the factory shock brackets and was having to pull the axle to make repairs. I can’t weld myself, but had a hookup that was dirt cheap, so I paid the extra small bit for a truss parts as well (the welding wasn’t gonna cost me more really)…..more from the standpoint of “I’m pulling this thing again….may as well complete it” more than “boy, I really need this truss for security purposes”. If you're looking at having to pay labor to weld that truss on, it’s not worth it IMO. If you're welding it yourself.....meh, it's not that much more for parts so maybe. Gussets, BJs, go have fun. If you’re gonna go run KOH, upgrade the axle.
Are you running stock shafts... and what ball joints are you using?
Old 08-31-2017, 09:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
Are you running stock shafts... and what ball joints are you using?
Up front I still have factory rubi shafts. They are one of the last things I have that haven't been upgraded. I just turned 68k miles on my jeep, and have had 37s on this rubi 44 for the last 27k miles (2+ years). My slush fund ran dry and I've figured I'd address them when necessary.....but they keep on going. I think the rears are a bit more important since the factory flanges bend easily.

I just put the truss/gussets/shock mounts on this year, so I had 4 full years of wheelin with 35s and 37s with just gussets. I have Dynatrac BJs. Didn't have any luck with couple sets of Synergy, and TF wasn't out with theirs yet when I made the jump to the next level. I haven't seen anything bad about the TF yet myself. If you wheel pretty hard you might just pony up for DT or Rare Parts. I like that RP splits some of the load to the uppers. I know a couple of people with them and they are happy, and RP is a reputable company that stands behind their products. Dynatrac is right there as well and their quality/customer service is well known. The problem with any of them in our factory axle is the space they have to work with in the C. If budget is tight, I'd almost say I'd chance it with 1 pair of TF BJs, and if they fail THEN make the jump to the next level. I can't suggest Synergy/Alloy myself, but many others seem to be ok with em.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have run 37s on beadlocks with my Rubi axle with gussets and RCVs for 5 years with no issues. This includes Moab trails and the Rubicon 7 times. BUT I now have Dynatrac 60s on order as I figure my luck is getting thin. Also going to 40s!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Up front I still have factory rubi shafts. They are one of the last things I have that haven't been upgraded. I just turned 68k miles on my jeep, and have had 37s on this rubi 44 for the last 27k miles (2+ years). My slush fund ran dry and I've figured I'd address them when necessary.....but they keep on going. I think the rears are a bit more important since the factory flanges bend easily.

I just put the truss/gussets/shock mounts on this year, so I had 4 full years of wheelin with 35s and 37s with just gussets. I have Dynatrac BJs. Didn't have any luck with couple sets of Synergy, and TF wasn't out with theirs yet when I made the jump to the next level. I haven't seen anything bad about the TF yet myself. If you wheel pretty hard you might just pony up for DT or Rare Parts. I like that RP splits some of the load to the uppers. I know a couple of people with them and they are happy, and RP is a reputable company that stands behind their products. Dynatrac is right there as well and their quality/customer service is well known. The problem with any of them in our factory axle is the space they have to work with in the C. If budget is tight, I'd almost say I'd chance it with 1 pair of TF BJs, and if they fail THEN make the jump to the next level. I can't suggest Synergy/Alloy myself, but many others seem to be ok with em.
May sound stupid, but what is DT and RP.. im sure i have probably heard of them but cant think of what you are talking about.

Originally Posted by JKZinger
I have run 37s on beadlocks with my Rubi axle with gussets and RCVs for 5 years with no issues. This includes Moab trails and the Rubicon 7 times. BUT I now have Dynatrac 60s on order as I figure my luck is getting thin. Also going to 40s!
Have a set of Ten Factory front and rear on order, 4340 Chromoly fronts and 4140 rear shafts. Not sure why they change the material from front to back, but looks like what most company's do. Had RCVs in my TJ, never a single issue out of them.. just didn't want to spend the extra money this time. Ten Factory has a good warranty so i gave the a shot. And the 1350 joints in the new Rubi axle is a nice upgrade from the TJ Rubi axles.. if i remember correctly anyways i think the TJ 44 had 1310s.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by YukonBlu
May sound stupid, but what is DT and RP.. im sure i have probably heard of them but cant think of what you are talking about.
DT = Dynatrac
RP = Rare Parts
Old 08-31-2017, 11:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

DT = Dynatrac
RP = Rare Parts
Gotcha.. thank you
Old 08-31-2017, 11:14 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JKZinger
Thank you for choosing Dynatrac! We're sure you'll enjoy the new levels you can go to once those ProRock 60s are installed!

Quick Reply: Front Rubi D44 Truss or Sleeve Dilemma with 37s..