Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FT 2" budget boost with 35s

Old 01-03-2007, 05:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm rolling the dice and going with a 2.5" and 35's. Should be on within the next 10 days. I will post pics and a review
Old 01-03-2007, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

per my prior post.... Del4s says no rubbing with a 2"....does the Rubicon sit higher then a Sahara? Do the 4-doors sit higher then the 2dr's? anyone? anyone?..... Beuler, Beuler.....
Old 01-03-2007, 04:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"per my prior post.... Del4s says no rubbing with a 2"....does the Rubicon sit higher then a Sahara? Do the 4-doors sit higher then the 2dr's? anyone? anyone?..... Beuler, Beuler....."

Please let me clarify that. No rubbing with a 2" with proper bumpstops and back spacing and rim width for your wheels and tires.

The bump stop extensions for the FT kit are 2". So the compression is limited 2" more than stock. A 35" tire is just 1 1/2" more radius than the stock 32". So you actually have 1/2" more upper verticle clearance than stock.

Horizontal clearances in the wheel well relate to tire width, rim width, and back spacing. My 315 tires are 12" width on a 9" rim. That means that they stick out 1 1/2" form the edge of the rim. If the rim was 7 1/2" like stock they would stick out 2 1/4". If the 9" and 7 1/2" rim had the same back spacing I would have 3/4" less inside clearance with the 7 1/2" rim even with the same BS and tire. So tire and wheel selection is criticle to "no rubbing".

Hopefully I've been at least clearer than mud in explaining that wheel well clearance relates to bump stop spacing, tire size, wheel width and back spacing and not spring or spring spacer highth.

Increasing spring highth improves approach, breakover, and departure angles. But if you don't have proper bump stops, tires, and wheels you can still rub even with a 6" spring kit.

I kind of like the AEV Highline approach. Essentially they give a TJ the JK fenders with an OME 2" lift and run 37s. That is a very low CG. The trade off is less approach, breakover, and departure angles than with the higher spring lifts. I'll probably do the OME springs when they become available, but I'll still keep my FT bump stops.

Hopefully explaining my reasoning will be helpful.

Chuck
Old 01-03-2007, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to agree with del4s, especially since he is running that now. At full flex you might rub. I have 3" of lift and a lot of room, but I haven't flexed it much more than a few curbs and a Porche that parked in my way.(just kidding)As far as the width goes it realy comes down to wheel backspacing or adding spacers.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pain in the butt!!!

I'll just stick with 33x12.5 and 2" FT. I dont want to have to spend more money if something doesn't work out with 35's. Thanks for all the correspondance on this confusing issue. I am still some what in the dark but yall sound like you figured out what you want

Quick Reply: FT 2" budget boost with 35s