Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Build Recommendations

Old 12-16-2017, 01:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Build Recommendations

Hi everyone!

This is going to be a rather controversial thread, but I thought I'd consult the Jeeper's community for this one!

I'm somewhat new to the off-road community and planning on purchasing a brand new base model Wrangler JL 2dr and doing a COMPLETE rebuild!

(I know this is a JK forum, so just treat this as if we're talking about a 2dr JK)

Keep in mind, I plan to drive this around at least 2-3 times a week, so I'd like to get some realistic and road-worthy suggestions.

----------------
Now, with that being said, let's get down to the nitty gritty. I'm going to name what i'm replacing and feel free to reply on thoughts and suggestions in which manufacturers or options i should go with. This will obviously all be progressive. We will still need to wait for dimensions and such. But again, just treat this as if it were a 2dr JK!

The parts I'm planning to replace are as follows

Axles - D60s (should I do a junk yard rebuild OR buy brand new aftermarket diffs and which diffs)
Gears - To accommodate 40s
Lockers - ARB air lockers or Eaton e-lockers
Tires - 40s (which brand and tire model)
Lift - Long arms AND stretch
Suspension - Springs and shocks or coil overs - after several members suggesting coil overs, seems like it's the right way to go

Bumpers, flares, body armor, and such are also welcome, but I've got a good idea on what i want it to look like. Looking to keep a clean, sleek look without too much going on. Skinny bumpers, skinny flares, etc..

----------------
All thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time and help!

Last edited by Off-road Newbie; 12-17-2017 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 08:50 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Is budget no concern? Are you doing the work or having a shop do it? The build you speak of typically destroys the jeep and the resale value typically is very poor if you are someone that trades vehicles a lot. If you are doing the work yourself expect it to cost you in the $35-40k range in if paying a shop I would put it closer to $60k.
Watch you weight of mods, use aluminum armor (which you are not going to find) and things like synthetic lines on the winch to keep the weight dow (also is much safer)
Are you planning on an atlas or hero transfer case?
No bypass shocks?
Old 12-17-2017, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Is budget no concern? Are you doing the work or having a shop do it? The build you speak of typically destroys the jeep and the resale value typically is very poor if you are someone that trades vehicles a lot. If you are doing the work yourself expect it to cost you in the $35-40k range in if paying a shop I would put it closer to $60k.
This.

$60K was the number that came to mind by the time you're done with all the incidentals. Personally I don't like the thought of "saving" money with junkyard axles on a brand new vehicle and a build of this caliber. I'd look at something purpose built like a set of Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60's. If you're going to do it, may as well go all out as you'll likely end up changing things out down the road and upgrading anyway. Long arms? I'd go with coilovers all day long. I know Dirtman isn't sold on them, but EVO is waiting on their JL to be delivered to start playing with the new components, and there are apparently a bunch of them.

At this point, I would be patient and bide your time. Don't jump on the first version of anything offered as there will be a big rush to start getting product out and it will end up being revised multiple times before the fine tuning is complete. There is always the push to appease those who have to have perceived "upgrades" right away. Stock sucks, but so does buying crap.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:24 PM
JK Newbie

Watch you weight of mods, use aluminum armor (which you are not going to find) and things like synthetic lines on the winch to keep the weight dow (also is much safer)
Are you planning on an atlas or hero transfer case?
No bypass shocks?
Firstly, thanks for the reply! Truly appreciate the feedback. But at this point, budget will not be a concern due to the fact as I mentioned, it will be a progressive build. I do plan on keeping the jeep, so resale value won't be of importance. I will also be doing my own work, so no shop rates. Body armor can wait, but I was planning on possibly contacting TNT Customs for custom aluminum rear corner guards and Poison Spyder for some front flares and bumpers. I'm sure they'll have JLs to use for reference, but if not, I wouldn't mind leaving mine for them to use as a template for designs! also, I've heard only good things from Warn winches, so I'm already considering a 10k winch with synthetic. As for the transfer case, I'd most likely go with an atlas.

Originally Posted by jordy
This.

$60K was the number that came to mind by the time you're done with all the incidentals. Personally I don't like the thought of "saving" money with junkyard axles on a brand new vehicle and a build of this caliber. I'd look at something purpose built like a set of Dynatrac Pro-Rock 60's. If you're going to do it, may as well go all out as you'll likely end up changing things out down the road and upgrading anyway. Long arms? I'd go with coilovers all day long. I know Dirtman isn't sold on them, but EVO is waiting on their JL to be delivered to start playing with the new components, and there are apparently a bunch of them.

At this point, I would be patient and bide your time. Don't jump on the first version of anything offered as there will be a big rush to start getting product out and it will end up being revised multiple times before the fine tuning is complete. There is always the push to appease those who have to have perceived "upgrades" right away. Stock sucks, but so does buying crap.
Thanks for your reply! I was thinking the same for axles. But, some refurbished, reinforced axles would probably run the same amount with some added protection, would they not? Again, I'm forums informed, but I can obviously use more knowledge and expertise. Thanks!
Old 12-17-2017, 05:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

A long arm stretch coil over build is not really a progressive build it really needs to be done all at once or you are spending to do things two or three times. Wheels are different for factory axles vs tons, driveshafts will be different lengths with different axles and may be different with the transfer case. Shock hoops and cage may tie together, exhaust is going to be custom so planning on any cross members, frame modifications, and control arm mounts should be placed so you can route the exhaust and you will have very limited space for a muffler and will likely have to run dual flow thru style that tend to be loud.

IF you are doing the work yourself and have lots of free time like you can work on it 10-12 hours a day every day it should take you 3-4 months to do. If doing nights and weekends plan on it taking a year. Typically parts take 3-6 months to get depending on time of year and winter is when everyone is rebuilding so lead times can get strung out. It gets frustrating but you really don't have any control over it.

For what you are doing I would not even be concerned with buying a lift kit, just take some time to learn suspensions and custom build it. Most lift companies will have several compromises like cutting frame members and axle brackets and tend to leave lots to be desired.

For someone new to jeeps what makes you want to do this kind of build in Miami?
Old 12-17-2017, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Off-road Newbie
Thanks for your reply! I was thinking the same for axles. But, some refurbished, reinforced axles would probably run the same amount with some added protection, would they not?
Typically the junkyard axles don't have the right mounts, which have to be cut off, new mounts welded on, which is great if you're making a rock buggy or something along those lines, but I have a tough time seeing that on a brand new Jeep, and typically, the junkyard axles end up with a close price point to brand new by the time you're done changing out the guts, adding lockers, and all the extra items to get them on the same level. Pay once, cry once.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

p.s. I'd listen to Dirtman if I were you. He's the resident expert if you've spent any time around here at all. He's spot on as far as the long arm coilover lift. That's an all or nothing deal. Pretty much anything you'd do initially will be replaced when you pull that trigger.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:27 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Off-road Newbie
Keep in mind, I plan to drive this around at least 2-3 times a week, so I'd like to get some realistic and road-worthy suggestions.

Lift - Long arms AND stretch
Suspension - Springs and shocks or coil overs
For road-worthy suggestions I would add that you really should go with coilover suspension with a long arm upgrade. Long arms help restore the geometry to the factory specs which allows for much better road handling. Another benefit to a coilover is that you can make adjustments where with a shock/spring system, you are kind stuck with things like ride height, pre-load, etc.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

A long arm stretch coil over build is not really a progressive build it really needs to be done all at once or you are spending to do things two or three times.

IF you are doing the work yourself and have lots of free time like you can work on it 10-12 hours a day every day it should take you 3-4 months to do.

For someone new to jeeps what makes you want to do this kind of build in Miami?
I believe I explained myself incorrectly, my apologies. Everything will be slapped on at once. But when I say progressive, I mean it won't be overnight. Planning on gathering the parts as I obtain/make them. I'm in no rush whatsoever to get this done. I work from home, so time won't really be an issue.

It does in fact make sense to learn about suspensions and make a custom lift while i actually even wait for the Jeep to come out. I'll most definitely look into that shortly!

The major reason as to why I'm going for this kind of build living in Miami is because I actually plan to move to TN within the next year or two. And with the obvious terrain difference, thought I'd look into something a little different than an average grocery-getter. I've actually had a JK before, but never actually got into building it. Was lacking time and money at the time. So this is basically me reliving the dream!

Typically the junkyard axles don't have the right mounts, which have to be cut off, new mounts welded on, which is great if you're making a rock buggy or something along those lines, but I have a tough time seeing that on a brand new Jeep, and typically, the junkyard axles end up with a close price point to brand new by the time you're done changing out the guts, adding lockers, and all the extra items to get them on the same level. Pay once, cry once.
Point taken. Makes much more sense when you put it like that. Plus, a set of brand new Dynatrac 60's won't look too bad either!

p.s. I'd listen to Dirtman if I were you. He's the resident expert if you've spent any time around here at all. He's spot on as far as the long arm coilover lift. That's an all or nothing deal. Pretty much anything you'd do initially will be replaced when you pull that trigger.
I'll surely look into all the info and feedback he's provided!

Originally Posted by NevadaZielmeister
For road-worthy suggestions I would add that you really should go with coilover suspension with a long arm upgrade. Long arms help restore the geometry to the factory specs which allows for much better road handling. Another benefit to a coilover is that you can make adjustments where with a shock/spring system, you are kind stuck with things like ride height, pre-load, etc.
Not only was I already leaning towards coilovers, but seems like everyone else is saying the same. So coilovers it is! knocks that out of the list! Thanks for your feedback and opinion as well!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Wheeling in TN you may want to look into ORI struts. Coils overs are better for go fast stuff where crawling in the woods and hollows the struts make more sense and lead to a more simple build that will perform better.

Quick Reply: Full Build Recommendations