JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Full Traction Ultimate 3”, two unasked questions. (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/full-traction-ultimate-3%94-two-unasked-questions-11435/)

Cheaper Jeeper 07-06-2007 10:16 AM

Full Traction Ultimate 3”, two unasked questions.

The installation instructions say to ‘torque all fasteners to factory specifications.’ This lift kit is only for the JK so why don’t they give those specifications?:naw: I haven’t yet bought the over priced hard-copy service manual or the defective CD service manual. I am hoping someone here can provide me with the factory torque specifications for these parts.

I know Dinosaur Grease is very bad for normal rubber bushings and mounts, so I am wondering what type of grease would be best for these bushings. They are black and relatively soft, like normal bushings. Again, no clue from Full Traction on what type of grease to use.
:thinking:

bim6180 07-06-2007 10:42 AM

i think white lithium grease would work well with bushings...

Cheaper Jeeper 07-06-2007 12:07 PM

these bushings all have zerk fittings. All the white lithium grease I've seen comes in a can, not the grease-gun tubes.

Northridge4x4 07-06-2007 12:24 PM

these bushings all have zerk fittings. All the white lithium grease I've seen comes in a can, not the grease-gun tubes.
Keep looking you will find it. Also it does not have to be white lithuim grease andy high end grease will work great.

Mike JK 07-06-2007 03:08 PM

You can get the torgque specs by downloading PDF install guides from other manufacturers, such as Superlift.

scootrrydr 07-09-2007 05:45 PM

Just a couple of questions to you!

Hey Cheaper,

I was thinking of installing my own 3" ulitmate lift on my JK. Just wondering if your done and if it was hard to do? Special tools? How long did it take you?

Thanks for your time.

Cheaper Jeeper 07-15-2007 07:00 AM

:toung: I haven’t done mine yet. The truck has been in the shop for the last 11 days for; chirp when shifting, heater always on, leak in power steering.
The instructions for my Full Traction lift were minimal. I got the instructions from Super Lift and Rubicon Express. Both are excellent. They fill in some of the missing parts of FT’s instructions. I’ve been reading extensively on this site about installing lift kits. It is not too technical, like gear changes. But it is a lot of work if you get a lift like the FT Ultimate.
For someone who is mechanically inclined and has the required tools, I would say it is very doable. But it will require a lot of research on this site. Lookout for caster angle & axle centering/alignment.
I'm not a mechanic and I've never done a lift. I plan to install mine myself when I get my truck back. But I have alternative transportation if something goes wrong or I am delayed finishing it.
Good luck on your choices.

Marc426 07-17-2007 12:44 AM

Let me know what the shift chirp answer is.

Rubimon 07-17-2007 01:16 AM

Doing the lift yourself (with a friend I mean) is very doable, especially if you are mechanically inclined and have a decent set of tools, good floor jack, and 6 ton jack stands(taller). It's all just nuts and bolts. Start by reading the 3" Economy lift write-up and track bar write-up on project-jk.

The control arms are almost as easy as pulling one set off and installing the replacements. It's easiest with the axle hanging so the pressure is off the coils. Ask around the forum for the length settings of them, but a good starting point is; the uppers will be a little bit shorter than the stock ones and the lowers a little bit longer. Take a few measurements on the angle of your front axle(caster) and try to get it back to about the same or a little more.

You will have to cut the passenger side upper control arm bolt and get a new one, so you might as well pick one up first. DC put the bolt in the hole and then mounted the exhaust, so the bolt will only come out if you cut it, or remove the exhuast(pain in the ass).

Hope I was some help. You will enjoy doing it, save money, and know it is probably done right. I have read a lot of stories of offroad shops screwing them up. If you go that route, use one that has a good reputation, possibly from a referral here on the site.

Piginajeep 07-17-2007 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by scootrrydr (Post 127500)
Hey Cheaper,

I was thinking of installing my own 3" ulitmate lift on my JK. Just wondering if your done and if it was hard to do? Special tools? How long did it take you?

Thanks for your time.

I installed mine in about 6 hours, with some help from friends. , it was very simple, I'm not a mechanic by any means.