Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G2 Core44 axle housing install

Old 05-26-2017, 01:19 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sea bass
There's one in every crowd.
Indeed...

Old 05-26-2017, 01:22 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by mdash
In an attempt to get this thread back on topic. My pinion seal is leaking. I've put just under 200 miles on it and decided to drive it to work today. Parked it in my usual spot and about 20 minutes later I noticed quite the puddle under my differential. Crawled underneath and sure enough, looks like it's coming right up between the yoke and the seal. It appears it just happened within probably the last couple miles into work. Gear oil on driveline, engine skid, control arm and a trace on the rear tire but not much on the exhaust crossover and I didn't smell it either. Crap.... guess I gotta pull it all apart again.

Sad to hear. Wishing your axle a speedy recovery.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by silverbullet88
Let us know what you determine is the problem
Will do. I'm hoping i just nicked the seal or something. I'll tear into it next week.

Originally Posted by DJ1
Sad to hear. Wishing your axle a speedy recovery.

Haha. Thanks.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Tore into it on Saturday and didn't find anything that looked abnormal. Seal looked good, yoke was still torqued, yoke had a small groove in it, but nothing that I would figure is unacceptable. So I pulled it all apart, installed a new crush washer, oil slinger, seal and yoke. Finished it up and went wheeling on Sunday. We'll see what happens, so far so good. The first assembly I used a Motive Gear seal and my old yoke, this time I used a factory Mopar seal and yoke. Hopefully that's all it needed.

Last edited by mdash; 06-05-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

nice write up Mark! the Core44 looks like a great option for those wanting to go with something beefier.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:14 PM
JK Super Freak

I've got a little over 500 miles on the new setup, 300 with the new pinion seal and yoke. So far so good. Still no leaks so I'm thinking I just fubar'd the first seal or maybe the groove on the old yoke was my issue. Who knows. I called G2 today to see if they had any eta for the trackbar bracket and they still do not have it available. Sounds like end of the summer at best. I don't think I'm having any issues currently, the Jeep actually drives pretty darn good, but I just want it to be as "right" as possible.

Also, when I first put this all together I researched a lot about the high steer knuckles and found that supposedly they only work for 3" lift or more. My jeep has 2.5" Metalcloak springs, 1" rubber bump stop spacers on the axle and 2" extended rubber bumpers up top. So far so good. With the tire stuffed/hard on the bump stop I still have about 1/2" air gap between the frame and the draglink. I realize I'm not in need of the draglink flip, but I am happy with the added ground clearance of the tie rod.....

Last edited by mdash; 06-26-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Life's ruff, get a dog.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Default Pinion seal leaking again

Actually got a chance to really "use" the Jeep this last weekend. Drove it up to one of my favorite play spots, an area we call Funny Rocks and Moon Rocks. Put 150+ miles on it on Sunday of mixed highway, forest road and trail. The day was good, hot and dusty, but good. I didn't think I had any issues until I pulled the jeep out of the garage last night to find about a quarter sized drop of gear oil on the floor. I crawled under it and sure enough, a track of oil going from the pinion seal, down the diff and dropping on the ground. The interesting part is there is zero oil on the yoke, control arms or oil pan skid which means it probably didn't start leaking till after I parked it. WTF?! I've asked G2 twice how much gear oil it takes cause I'm wondering if I'm over filling it, but they swear its 1 1/4 quarts. I don't know what gives. Frustrating.

Quick Reply: G2 Core44 axle housing install