Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Genright rear fender 0" fender delete questions

Old 09-03-2017, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Genright rear fender 0" fender delete questions

Hi all, I did a search and didn't find anything. Is the Genright rear flare delete permanent? I mean, can you go back to stock if you want to? My stock flares are so scratched up it's embarrassing. I would like to do the rear delete, and come up with another option for the front. I want a little more flare up front, might even cut my stocks. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:08 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're a sponsor on the forum. You can always PM them and see what they say. They're handle is GenRightOffRoad. Good luck!!
Old 09-05-2017, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,589 Posts

The deletes are held on with nutserts. You have to drill a few new holes and enlarge a couple of existing holes to fit the nutserts in. Once the nutserts are in, they'd be a real booger to remove. I guess you could cut the lip of the nutsert off with a dremel and push it through, leaving the hole available for the factory clips again.

Honestly, I'd possibly consider the JCR rear deletes as they look like they might have an easier install. The JCR is a 2-piece design. The inner piece bolts up to the body with nutserts, although I believe less work). The inner piece has the spacers built in to it, and then the outter piece simply bolts to that. On the GR model, you have to fiddle around with individual spacers with each bolt to get the delete to sit how you want. The benefit of this is you can play around a bit on how the delete sits.....but it's a major hassle. I had to make a couple of my own spacers, and several others I had to tweak with a washer or two. The flip side of that is the JCR sits a little deeper in the body back there than I prefer. In general, the GR rears were a bit of a pain to install. A few of the holes you have to drill are VERY close to the edge of the seam, and you're trying to drill holes in the body while essentially holding a spacer an inch+ away from said body.....making alignment a hassle. I'm happy with the way mine turned out, but it was a fair amount of effort to get them to look nice. Not a simple 15 min bolt on experience. Also, nutserts aren't hard, but if you have installed any before, there is a learning curve. Also, regardless of your efforts, you can't get the rears to sit flush with the body given how the body rolls back there around the factory fender flare (see in first pic below).

Since you have 33s you might not have to......but if you've trimmed any pinch seam or rubi rails in the rear to accommodate lager tires, you have to trim the GR deletes as well to match. Not sure about the JCR model. I'd also note, it took GR forever to deliver my deletes.....3 weeks

Pics of my rears -

Old 09-05-2017, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks resharp, those pics of yours are the JCR's? That would work for me.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MikeOK
Thanks resharp, those pics of yours are the JCR's? That would work for me.
Mine are the GenRights. $100 + shipping for some Aluminum flatstock. The JCR's are double the price but have an interesting design -

https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JKRX-D.html

And sorry, I THOUGHT it was a 2-piece design, but it actually looks like 3 pieces.

The way I see it, the pros/cons would look like this:

JCR
Pros
- easier install
- any hole you might have to drill is not close to the edge of a pinch seam (at least looking at the pics appears that way)
- powder coated black and would match your jeep
- easier to tweak how it sits by inserting a washer (additional spacer) here or there

Cons
- price
- possible harder to trim if need be (unsure)
GenRight
Pros
- cheaper
- might be easier to trim if necessary since only 1 piece

Cons
- pain in the @ss install
- drilling close to the edge of pinch seams
- aligning the holes for drilling is trickier since the guide (the delete itself) is not right against the body
- raw aluminum which may or may not be your thing
- various spacers for you to figure out....and you may STILL want to tweak
I'm not a fan of JCR things in general....just personal preference. I'm just offering up opinions based on myGenRight install.

Last edited by resharp001; 09-05-2017 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:33 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

When you look at the close up picture I posted above, you see at least one of the bolts REALLY close to the edge of the delete itself. That delete mimics the pinch seam you're drilling in, so imagine drilling a 25/64 hole that close to the edge of the body's pinch seam where two pieces of metal are mating up. There are a couple holes like that which you have to drill. I was NOT all that happy about that.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's a good looking rig you got there. I was at Disney yesterday and was with a group of 14 other Jeeps, I was the only two door. It's amazing what those guys can do in those things. The bigger groups are not as fun, somebody has to be stopping and visiting constantly so there's lots of sitting and waiting. I just wanted to roll!
Old 09-05-2017, 09:12 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by MikeOK
That's a good looking rig you got there. I was at Disney yesterday and was with a group of 14 other Jeeps, I was the only two door. It's amazing what those guys can do in those things. The bigger groups are not as fun, somebody has to be stopping and visiting constantly so there's lots of sitting and waiting. I just wanted to roll!
Thanks....it's been a lot of work over a few years...with a steep learning curve. I don't get in to the large group scene myself....just to many people and jeeps. Like you said....everyone stopping and conversing. When I go out I like to move, and typically keep it small and tight....3-4 jeeps or so, and a tighter knit group of people. I know you're more in Northern OK, but if you ever find yourself wheelin down in the Bridgeport or Gilmer areas in Texas, lemme know. Hot Springs park in OK is really nice if you're ever out that way, and I haven't been, but everything I see says SMORR (south missouri off road ranch) is nice as well.....and a bit closer to you.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Thanks....it's been a lot of work over a few years...with a steep learning curve. I don't get in to the large group scene myself....just to many people and jeeps. Like you said....everyone stopping and conversing. When I go out I like to move, and typically keep it small and tight....3-4 jeeps or so, and a tighter knit group of people. I know you're more in Northern OK, but if you ever find yourself wheelin down in the Bridgeport or Gilmer areas in Texas, lemme know. Hot Springs park in OK is really nice if you're ever out that way, and I haven't been, but everything I see says SMORR (south missouri off road ranch) is nice as well.....and a bit closer to you.
Speaking of SMORR, the Christian Crawlers are having a 3 day event at the end of the month up there that I think I'll sign up for. I haven't tent camped in 10 years but it sounds like a blast. I'm not sure what it's all about but a couple guys I wheel with are going. The pictures I've seen of it look pretty good. Lots of different terrain so I bet I can find a group that I'm compatible with. I'm not so much into rock crawling, I like the technical terrain and trails. The group I was with yesterday was a rock crawling group, it took 3 hours to go a mile. Somebody has to peel off at every big rock to climb it while somebody else takes their picture. And I had to cut out early before we even got to the trails. It was a real bummer.

There's lots of this stuff up there
Old 09-05-2017, 10:09 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Do you think that Disney is worth an almost 6hr drive? That is really getting out there from the DFW area. Is there camping up there? Night wheelin ok?

SMORR has never been consideration for us down here as it's 8hrs. Hot Springs is a solid 5+ hours for me on the west side of Fort Worth, but I know that place is worth a weekend trip on an annual basis. Here in the metroplex we're fortunate to have Gilmer a couple hours to the east, Hidden Falls a couple hours to the south, and Bridgeport just outside of town for a quick trip.

Quick Reply: Genright rear fender 0" fender delete questions