Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go fast suspension!!

Old 07-27-2016, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matty86suk
I've been thinking what direction I want to go with my jeep. I'd love to do it up for extreme wheeling and be the envy at ramp day...but I don't want to sacrifice road manners too much and in reality my jeep is used 90 percent of the time on the road, 9 percent racing down forest roads, 1 percent actual technical wheeling.

So during my endless search for inspiration I came across this series of videos....
https://youtu.be/HUa6IzU_5iY

....and found my muse!!

So the theme to my build up(slow time mind you) will be focused on going fast on rough dirt roads, carrying hunting/fishing/camping gear and hauling my dirt bikes to the less accessible areas.

Mods so far...
315s duratrac
19/60 springs, 1" levelling kit
Trimmed fenders...that's it
Stock 410s, 6 speed, 2 door X

To accomplish my jeeps end state...

2.5" dual rate or progressive springs
Speed bumps
Fox shocks
CA lowering brackets
Adjustable track bars front/rear,
TB drop brackets
High steer

This should sort out suspension...

Thoughts on go fast suspension parts/systems?
Well, first off, you have a 2 door when you would want a 4 door. This will help with stability, but having said that, you will want to look at the EVO MFG Double Throwdown Suspension System Front and EVO MFG rear Double Throwdown Rear suspension with EVO lever.

When you are talking "go fast", then you will want to look into that system very carefully. You also would want the long arm upgrade to restore your on-road performance.

If you waste you money with Teraflex, you will NEVER achieve what you are looking for. I usually can drive 70 mph on a dirt road with this suspension and it is quite comfortable. Then when the trail gets tough, the amount articulation is amazing with 14 inch of wheel travel at each wheel.

I am frankly surprised no one has yet mentioned this system at all. I hope this information helps. Just know that this system is not cheap, but hey, you wanted "go fast" so good luck!!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaZielmeister

I am frankly surprised no one has yet mentioned this system at all. I hope this information helps. Just know that this system is not cheap, but hey, you wanted "go fast" so good luck!!
The thought crossed my mind as it's an insane setup, then the cost factor came into play, so I saved the wear and tear on the ol' keyboard.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:47 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NevadaZielmeister

Well, first off, you have a 2 door when you would want a 4 door. This will help with stability, but having said that, you will want to look at the EVO MFG Double Throwdown Suspension System Front and EVO MFG rear Double Throwdown Rear suspension with EVO lever.

When you are talking "go fast", then you will want to look into that system very carefully. You also would want the long arm upgrade to restore your on-road performance.

If you waste you money with Teraflex, you will NEVER achieve what you are looking for. I usually can drive 70 mph on a dirt road with this suspension and it is quite comfortable. Then when the trail gets tough, the amount articulation is amazing with 14 inch of wheel travel at each wheel.

For the cost of that system a full custom would be better imo. Also a stretched 2 door will go fast easily. Cantilevers run smaller shocks so typically they need bypass to help keep them cool. Also going fast is hard on axles even with a tuned suspension so you have to look at that aspect also. Some people run that evo set in here but most are on another forum hence not many mentions...ive also asked if the evo kit runs a zero tune or the coilovers handle the low speeds and bypass higher but got no answer.
Old 07-27-2016, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
For the cost of that system a full custom would be better imo. Also a stretched 2 door will go fast easily.
OK, so he needs to stretch the 2 door and throw a custom suspension on it, including new axles. I'm not disagreeing as there were a few pretty crazy ones at EJS, but I'm thinking it's not in the "cheap" section of the budget. $80-$100K in a Jeep in a hurry.

He should probably do an LS swap while he's got it all apart as well.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

You guys are ridiculous. You will be fine with a good set of coils, resi shocks - preferably tuned to your jeep, hydro bumps, and I'd take a look into those jks swaybar links. I know my jeep rides 20xs rougher with my swaybar on.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
OK, so he needs to stretch the 2 door and throw a custom suspension on it, including new axles. I'm not disagreeing as there were a few pretty crazy ones at EJS, but I'm thinking it's not in the "cheap" section of the budget. $80-$100K in a Jeep in a hurry.

He should probably do an LS swap while he's got it all apart as well.
Lol, yah eh!! Folks must be not reading my posts or if they are, 0nly skimming, and missing certain key words "recreational" "dirt roads" "no 100 mile section of whoops" ...I already have a vehicle that could win the Baja 1000. Moreover, recently I've noticed a trend with the new generation soccer mom wheelers...money equals performance, bigger is better etc. I'm sure all these high end kits are great, but I'm also sure I can put something together that will 1. Give me the performance I desire 2. Come in around $2500 leaving me $2500-7000 for hookers and blow.
I also realize active thought is unpopular with today's instant gratification generation. And the thought of someone going out on their own to achieve their goals is a foreign concept to them, therefore met with resistance and fallacy.
Old 07-27-2016, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
You guys are ridiculous. You will be fine with a good set of coils, resi shocks - preferably tuned to your jeep, hydro bumps, and I'd take a look into those jks swaybar links. I know my jeep rides 20xs rougher with my swaybar on.
Yup, that's what I'm thinking plus adding control arm drop brackets to keep the arms in a nuetral position.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:22 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

You are in denial and chuck is just wrong. Just saying don't run the sway bar in a high speed set up should tip you off if you know anything about suspensions.

You are the one that gave the specs of 50-60 mph down rutted roads and trails. Now you make it sound like you are just running down gravel roads which is it? A jeep will run down a gravel road just fine without a lot of suspension modifications.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matty86suk
Lol, yah eh!! Folks must be not reading my posts or if they are, 0nly skimming, and missing certain key words "recreational" "dirt roads" "no 100 mile section of whoops" ...I already have a vehicle that could win the Baja 1000. Moreover, recently I've noticed a trend with the new generation soccer mom wheelers...money equals performance, bigger is better etc. I'm sure all these high end kits are great, but I'm also sure I can put something together that will 1. Give me the performance I desire 2. Come in around $2500 leaving me $2500-7000 for hookers and blow.
I also realize active thought is unpopular with today's instant gratification generation. And the thought of someone going out on their own to achieve their goals is a foreign concept to them, therefore met with resistance and fallacy.
I'm not gonna lie, you had me at recreational hookers and blow.

If you have a vehicle that will win Baja, then you've gotta know that what you're saying you want is going to cost a shit ton of money. Granted, $2,500 is more realistic than most who come on here wanting on-road performance, incredible off-road capabilities, both high speed and crawling, but only want to spend $400 on a lift and don't want to upgrade brakes, steering, axles, etc.

Spending money on certain things, like axles, brakes, and QUALITY suspension, is money well spent. Pay once, cry once. I spent $500 on a helmet when I was playing on the track on 2 wheels and at the dunes on 2 and 4. Sure, they make $50 helmets, but I don't have a $50 head.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
You are in denial and chuck is just wrong. Just saying don't run the sway bar in a high speed set up should tip you off if you know anything about suspensions. You are the one that gave the specs of 50-60 mph down rutted roads and trails. Now you make it sound like you are just running down gravel roads which is it? A jeep will run down a gravel road just fine without a lot of suspension modifications.
The guys I wheel with will follow/out lead you anywhere with locked tjs on 35s. You don't have to have your shit built to the max as you do to accomplish something. You know this. The dude isn't talking about completely rutted out trails, I think common sense should be used to realize he's talking about dirt roads and fire roads, maybe some pot-holey back roads to "go fast on"... I also never once suggested he took his seat bar off, I suggested he look into the jks end links. What I do with my jeep is irrelevant, I only stated I chose to remove both away bars and am perfectly content with my choice.

Quick Reply: Go fast suspension!!