Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna go for it. MoTech LS conversion.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang! Not bad at all!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Price!

Holy Crap--that's great!!

i'm looking at the 5.3 LS as well..in the same boat as you--dont want a neck snapper, not gonna drag race, just want power when i hit the pedal.

assume you did the Gen4? did you go with cast iron or aluminum block?

are you going to upgrade axles or drive shafts? i'm still running 30/44s but i did upgrade drive shafts and 5.13 gears.

your build looks awesome.

steve
Old 07-25-2017, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevedolce
Holy Crap--that's great!!

i'm looking at the 5.3 LS as well..in the same boat as you--dont want a neck snapper, not gonna drag race, just want power when i hit the pedal.

assume you did the Gen4? did you go with cast iron or aluminum block?

are you going to upgrade axles or drive shafts? i'm still running 30/44s but i did upgrade drive shafts and 5.13 gears.

your build looks awesome.

steve
I went with the cheapest setup possible which was the LMG iron block. I don't plan on upgrading the axles, drive shafts, etc. I'm pretty happy with the results and I grin every time I start my Jeep and hear the rumble of that V8. There are a few minor bugs that will need addressed. Unfortunately that will mean a trip back to Vegas.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you do upgrade your radiator you should consider adding either the pentastar or camaro ss cooling fan. They move a lot more air and really help keep the engine cool. Both are an easy swap.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScottW
If you do upgrade your radiator you should consider adding either the pentastar or camaro ss cooling fan. They move a lot more air and really help keep the engine cool. Both are an easy swap.
Actually I have been thinking of having the radiator and fan done when I take the Jeep back down for it's follow-up. MoTech offers a 42mm and 52mm dual pass radiator. Did you go with one of those?
Old 07-26-2017, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cb4017
Actually I have been thinking of having the radiator and fan done when I take the Jeep back down for it's follow-up. MoTech offers a 42mm and 52mm dual pass radiator. Did you go with one of those?
Yes, I had the 52mm dual pass done with the install and just recently added the camaro ss fan. The fan is much nice than the old ones. It comes on when you start the engine so its always keeping air moving and it moves a lot more air. You've probably seen Robbies video doing the fan comparison. I upgraded the fan for when I'm towing my offroad trailer. Haven't towed with it yet but just driving around my temps are lower. Even with just the HD radiator I wasn't having any engine heat problems.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScottW
Yes, I had the 52mm dual pass done with the install and just recently added the camaro ss fan. The fan is much nice than the old ones. It comes on when you start the engine so its always keeping air moving and it moves a lot more air. You've probably seen Robbies video doing the fan comparison. I upgraded the fan for when I'm towing my offroad trailer. Haven't towed with it yet but just driving around my temps are lower. Even with just the HD radiator I wasn't having any engine heat problems.
Thanks! I kind of hate to spend the extra money but I think I'll get both done while it's back at MoTech. If I didn't haul a trailer or crawl around the desert the stock radiator would probably be fine but I think I want the extra cooling capacity.
Old 07-29-2017, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like what I am planning to go for next year. What kind of gas mileage are you getting? About the same as stock or a little better?
Old 07-30-2017, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for sharing your experience. Have started eyeballing this since I have 137K on the clock of my 3.8.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NativeMsSon
This sounds like what I am planning to go for next year. What kind of gas mileage are you getting? About the same as stock or a little better?
Well, one of the bugs that need worked out is an inaccurate odometer but my mileage has taken a hit. I figured out the odometer is about 21% low. Using that correction My best tank is 17mpg during the trip back from Vegas.

Not too worried about it right now. I'll get it sorted then start keeping track of mileage. I've used Fuelly for a while. Once my odometer is more accurate I'll start again.

Quick Reply: Gonna go for it. MoTech LS conversion.