Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Duratrac size recommendations

Old 04-17-2012, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are putting the lift on, might as well go with the 295's. It will look good, performance might suffer a little bit until you regear to bring the Jeep back to stock OEM feeling.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

Default Going round and round

I'm in the same boat only on a different ocean.

I also have a 2010 Unlimited Sahara. I have a 4" Rancho lift with RS9000XL shocks sitting in my garage waiting for me to decide what wheels/tires. I've already decided this much:

1) I'm jumping straight to 35x12.5 (BFG M/T KM2)

2) Although I like the stock rims, they aren't wide enough (7.5") or have enough back spacing for the tires I want. The new ones will be 17x9 with 4.5" BS for better ride (but not handling) and clearance, especially off-road.

3) Another reason for 17" is the price difference for tires.

4) The new wheels will be basic black (XD Addict or M/T Classic II).

5) I haven't decided what to do with the TPMS transmitters yet (transfer versus replace with new).

I could get exactly what I want: tires, wheels, new TPMS, installed, balanced (hidden weights), shipped. All 5 (4 + spare) for around $3k delivered.

Still thinking....

Last edited by Sahara Lee; 04-17-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Default Need to regear...

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
I'm in the same boat only on a different ocean.

I also have a 2010 Unlimited Sahara. I have a 4" Rancho lift with RS9000XL shocks sitting in my garage waiting for me to decide what wheels/tires. I've already decided this much:

1) I'm jumping straight to 35x12.5 (BFG M/T KM2)

2) Although I like the stock rims, they aren't wide enough (7.5") or have enough back spacing for the tires I want. The new ones will be 17x9 with 4.5" BS for better ride (but not handling) and clearance, especially off-road.

3) Another reason for 17" is the price difference for tires.

4) The new wheels will be basic black (XD Addict or M/T Classic II).

5) I haven't decided what to do with the TPMS transmitters yet (transfer versus replace with new).

I could get exactly what I want: tires, wheels, new TPMS, installed, balanced (hidden weights), shipped. All 5 (4 + spare) for around $3k delivered.

Still thinking....
So I like all this, and the price looks right, but it doesn't take into account the cost to re-gear, which most people say you'll want. Then, as long as you are re-gearing you probably will want to put in a rear locker. So that's like another $2k.

I am leaning toward staying in the 33" range so that I can survive without the re-gear... But, I'll probably be sorry at a later date. I think I need to go buy a few more lottery tickets.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by coltc2000
275/70/18 will fit without spacers and no rubbing.
Easy to find to replace.
Less hassle with problems.
Ok, I'll use a current thread instead of starting a new one.

Full disclosure...I think I've read every post on this topic, and perhaspe this is why my head hurts.

2008 JKU Sahara with 'those 18' wheels. I'm stock, plan to stay that way for now. Jeep is my DD, lots of highway miles.
I do light trails, nothing extream, and drive on snow, ice, freezing rain junk in the winter.

So need new tires, and want like the GY Duratracs, really...275/70R18 will not rub and no spacers required? How about spedo ect?

Intrested in feed back/help...maybe putting this into my own words will help my head from hurting and allow me to buy new tires with confidence.

Thanks everyone
Old 11-08-2014, 11:54 AM
JK Newbie

Sorry not sure and my head hurts too
did the 275 70 18 duratrac work without issues

I was also debating on 275 65 18
The 65 are $40 a tire cheaper

But I do not want to do a lift or spacers and want to keep my black 7 spoke altitude rim

Thanks

QUOTE=webejeepin;3005764]Ok, I'll use a current thread instead of starting a new one.

Full disclosure...I think I've read every post on this topic, and perhaspe this is why my head hurts.

2008 JKU Sahara with 'those 18' wheels. I'm stock, plan to stay that way for now. Jeep is my DD, lots of highway miles.
I do light trails, nothing extream, and drive on snow, ice, freezing rain junk in the winter.

So need new tires, and want like the GY Duratracs, really...275/70R18 will not rub and no spacers required? How about spedo ect?

Intrested in feed back/help...maybe putting this into my own words will help my head from hurting and allow me to buy new tires with confidence.

Thanks everyone[/QUOTE]
Old 11-11-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 275-70/18. Love them. Just turned 40k on them and they have plenty of life. How much? Well they don't look new but tread is still super deep. Siping still exists. Looks police another 20-39 easy but that sounds rediculous. I'm sure performance will decline. No idea how to judge at this time.

As far as my setup, I have stock rims and 1.5" rough country spacers. Like them better than other brands because they were at the time best I could find (and cheaper) that were plain aluminum color. Not the bright red or blue so these blend with wheels. Doesn't call attention. I'm not flashy like that. Just did brakes. Painted calipers and brackets. At black. Clean and can't see them. Just how I like it.

Can't go wrong with duratrac. You'll be happy.

I have heard a negative is weak sidewalls. I do t rock crawl. I live on an island with my off road being limited to beach and sand driving. Good luck.

-FD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2749815754.jpg
Views:	878
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	583941  
Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Fooddude
I have the 275-70/18. Love them. Just turned 40k on them and they have plenty of life. How much? Well they don't look new but tread is still super deep. Siping still exists. Looks police another 20-39 easy but that sounds rediculous. I'm sure performance will decline. No idea how to judge at this time.

As far as my setup, I have stock rims and 1.5" rough country spacers. Like them better than other brands because they were at the time best I could find (and cheaper) that were plain aluminum color. Not the bright red or blue so these blend with wheels. Doesn't call attention. I'm not flashy like that. Just did brakes. Painted calipers and brackets. At black. Clean and can't see them. Just how I like it.

Can't go wrong with duratrac. You'll be happy.

I have heard a negative is weak sidewalls. I do t rock crawl. I live on an island with my off road being limited to beach and sand driving. Good luck.

-FD
Thanks for the info -- so you are saying go 275 70 18 with spacer versus 275 65 18

Did you do a small lift or no lift

Also is the speedo off with the 275 70s?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

I ran the 275/70r18 duratrac's for quite a while with no lift or spacers; only had slight rubbing when flexed out a bit offroad, but onroad never ran into any problem lock to lock...then I lifted 2.5" and put on spacers for a wider stance and now need larger tires

the 275/70's are a great size for stock though...speedo may be off just a little, but I don't consider that to be a big deal.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:32 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by R0B0CON
I ran the 275/70r18 duratrac's for quite a while with no lift or spacers; only had slight rubbing when flexed out a bit offroad, but onroad never ran into any problem lock to lock...then I lifted 2.5" and put on spacers for a wider stance and now need larger tires

the 275/70's are a great size for stock though...speedo may be off just a little, but I don't consider that to be a big deal.
This is what I am afraid of -- I want to stay as stock as possible but I want my mall crawler to look mean enough to pretend to off road -- but everyone jacks up their ride and puts on 35 or 37 so has me thinking the 33 vs the 32 (for now)
Old 11-12-2014, 12:23 PM
JK Newbie

yeah, that's what I'm saying; the 275/70 is a great size if you're wanting to look good and stay as stock as possible.

that's prior to any lift or spacers...just added tires on the wheels.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Duratrac size recommendations