JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Goodyear MTR/K vs. Nitto trail Grapplers (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/goodyear-mtr-k-vs-nitto-trail-grapplers-301896/)

MAG00 04-21-2014 09:44 AM

Goodyear MTR/K vs. Nitto trail Grapplers

I am curious to hear comments/opinions on these two tires (Goodyear MTR/K vs. Nitto trail Grapplers) in 35s for a daily driver JKU with 2.5 RK lift. My terrain usually consist of a lot of pavement and then mud and dirt. Not many rocks around hear. Biggest concern with punctures come from logs, stumps or small cut off trees.

Thoughts on these two tires...which one would you go with? Want good ride, handle well on pavement, low sound for an MT, and perform well for my terrain.

ShakyJake 04-21-2014 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by MAG00 (Post 3893189)
I am curious to hear comments/opinions on these two tires (Goodyear MTR/K vs. Nitto trail Grapplers) in 35s for a daily driver JKU with 2.5 RK lift. My terrain usually consist of a lot of pavement and then mud and dirt. Not many rocks around hear. Biggest concern with punctures come from logs, stumps or small cut off trees.

Thoughts on these two tires...which one would you go with? Want good ride, handle well on pavement, low sound for an MT, and perform well for my terrain.

I could never get my 35" MTR/K's to keep their balance. I traded them in with just 5K miles for a set of Nitto TrailGrapplers. The Nittos are awesome, I highly recommend them.

benny127 04-21-2014 10:01 AM

Bad experience with Goodyear M/T

I had a set of brand new 35" Goodyear M/T a few years back from Tirerack installed with wheels and balanced for my previous TJ = experienced with alot steering shaking, sold them replaced with BF Goodrich M/T and the steering so smooth. Now with my brand new JK I give them another tried and failed again. Currently my steering shaking also. I tried to put the original stock wheels back and the shaking disappeared. Tirerack said they will credit me up to $25 each wheels to get them re balance but I think I will ship them to Ukraine Crisis and buy me a new set of BF Goodrich.

duluthjk 04-21-2014 10:51 AM

I have 35"x12.5"x15" MTR Kevlars on my 2010 2 door and have had no problems with balancing. I have been running them on my daily driver for over 2 years and love them on and off road.

towel33 04-21-2014 03:47 PM

A vote for the MTRK's. Just got 37's about 2 months ago. Excellent on the trail and quite like an AT on the street, I don't think I'll ever consider another tire.

LJ_olllllllo 04-21-2014 04:16 PM

I had 35x12.5r17 nittos and they amazed me. I had a 1/4 or deeper gouge in the sidewall and was still fine rock crawling and aired down. 5 stars for me

JayswranglerX 04-21-2014 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by towel33 (Post 3893425)
A vote for the MTRK's. Just got 37's about 2 months ago. Excellent on the trail and quite like an AT on the street, I don't think I'll ever consider another tire.

I have them also and love them but they are no way quiet like an A/T

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum

Ryan0260 04-21-2014 06:38 PM

Having owned both, the trail grappler is a better all around tire, besides being on the heavy side.

dsvictorious 04-21-2014 09:19 PM

I must agree the MTRK are awesome on street they are great and the off road prowess are awesome! No issue with balancing! Get them!

MRCHVZ66 04-21-2014 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 547511

Love my MTRs!!!