Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315X70 R17 Tires or Nitto Exo Grappler 35x12.50 R17 Tires

Old 04-04-2016, 03:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315X70 R17 Tires or Nitto Exo Grappler 35x12.50 R17 Tires

Another Tire question? I had the Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315X70 R17 Tires on my 2014 Willys Wheeler JKU and it totaled. So I ordered a new 2016 Rubicon JKU and building another Jeep. Going with the same lift - AEV DualSport XT Suspension 2.5" with AEV Geometry Correction Front Control Arm Drop Brackets. Going with Method MR305 Matte Black NV Wheels and just need to decide on Tires? Goodyear Duratracs or Nitto Exo Grapplers? I had the Goodyear Duratracs and these tires are quite, great on and off-road, and great for DD. The only negative is when balancing these tires they take a lot of weights. I like to Nitto Exo Grappler 35x12.50 R17 Tires and compare pretty close to the Goodyears and most Nitto tires need little or no weights when balancing. The only negative on the Nitto Tires is they weigh about 8lbs more per tire than the Goodyear Tires. Has anyone had both of these tires and can give a opinion which they prefer better? Goodyear Duratracs or Nitto Exo Grappler?
Old 01-23-2019, 01:26 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mickey thompson

what about mickey thompson 35s ? they are a really great tire on and off road
Old 01-23-2019, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

8lbs more for a tire that is the same size isn't worth it. Weight at the wheel sucks.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I place a lot of weight behind the Snowflake and Mountain logo indicating they are rated for Mud and Snow. The Duratracs are rated for both but when I recently saw a set of Exo's didn't see that snowflake and mountain logo.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
8lbs more for a tire that is the same size isn't worth it. Weight at the wheel sucks.
It's pretty minimal though when you consider how much weight was added over stock tires.

Not familiar with that model Goodyear, but wasn't impressed with the M/T's I had on my JK, so I went with Toyo's, which I have had great luck with on and offroad on every truck I've owned. The Goodyears were really stiff with the kevlar sidewall and chunked out badly in the rocks. Again, those were the M/T's and these are likely a more forgiving compound in an A/T style. I peeled a ton of weight off the wheels when I pulled the Goodyears and over 25K miles later with the Toyo's I still have 0 weight on them, and I"m running 40's.
Old 04-19-2019, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for the duratracs. I daily drive my Jeep and the road noise/feeling on the roads is perfect. I run them at 26 psi and they have been wearing just fine. They also do just fine in my light wheeling/camping/mtn biking adventures.

Quick Reply: Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac 315X70 R17 Tires or Nitto Exo Grappler 35x12.50 R17 Tires