Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greasable Bolts for control arms?

Old 02-17-2019, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Greasable Bolts for control arms?

So I know everyone has their opinions about changing the control arms bolts on their JK, but my question is this. I'm changing all of my control arms out to Johnny Joint adjustable control arms from Core 4x4. Would it make sense to put the grade 8 greasable bolts from Currie for the control arms? Is it going to help or hurt anything? Thanks
Old 02-18-2019, 04:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Greasable bolts will not grease the Johnny Joints. The grease zerks on the joints are all you need, and are the only way to grease the joints aside from taking them apart.

Don't see the point of greasable bolts if you're not running leafs/shakles. The grease will just spew inside the sleeve. It won't hurt anything, but it certainly has no benefit for your intended use.

Last edited by BoraBora; 02-18-2019 at 05:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Greasable bolts will not grease the Johnny Joints. The grease zerks on the joints are all you need, and are the only way to grease the joints aside from taking them apart.

Don't see the point of greasable bolts if you're not running leafs/shakles. The grease will just spew inside the collar. It won't hurt anything, but it certainly has no benefit for your intended use.
Yea thats what I was thinking also, but was talking to a friend, and he said I should use the greasable bolts so the bolts wont seize, I haven't heard anything about seizing of the bolt in the joint, let alone anyone using these special bolts on Johnny Joints, but wasn't for sure, my last JK had the Teraflex Alpine Arms...
Old 02-18-2019, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I've never had issues with seizing, but I also take my junk apart pretty frequently. Anti-seize is your friend though, just use a dab on each bolts threads. Probably way cheaper for a jar than those special bolts anyways. I wouldn't worry about the bolt seizing to the sleeve. I'm assuming your friend has dealt with leaf springs in the past? Lol, that's the only time I've heard of greasable bolts.

Also, maybe just me, but regardless of bolt rating/grade...solid > hollow.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Yup, I'd just use a dab of anti-seize on the threads so the nut doesn't seize. I wouldn't worry about the bolt seizing in the joint. If you're really concerned about that, just a little anti-seize on a swab and brush the sleeve of the joint with it. I can't see any use for a greaseable bolt on a JK. Mark all your control arm bolts with a paint pen once installed and torqued to spec. Also, be sure to double check torque after 500 miles or so. (probably stating what you already know, but just in case).

Quick Reply: Greasable Bolts for control arms?