Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Greatest Tire Question Ever Asked

Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats crazy to me about the BFG's is they have not changed a thing about them in what feels like 20 years. A part of me says, surely the other brands are superior due to tech alone. Then another part of me thinks, you guys keep buying them and like them so they must not be awful .
Old 01-10-2017, 12:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by jacumja
Whats crazy to me about the BFG's is they have not changed a thing about them in what feels like 20 years. A part of me says, surely the other brands are superior due to tech alone. Then another part of me thinks, you guys keep buying them and like them so they must not be awful .
While the tread pattern doesn't differ greatly, the composition of the side walls, the interior of the tread pattern (between the main tread), and the sidewall pattern has change from the original BFG AT to the BFG AT KO2. And, yes, I keep buying them because they remain the single best all around tire I've used. Great traction in most conditions, great mileage, excellent tire for those that have a truck they pull trailers with (the E rating). I started using them on my trucks. Then on my wife's jeep (TJ and then a JK). Now I'll move my JKUR from KM2s to the KO2s in a 37. I know many say they don't perform well in mud, but the KO2s on her JK and the KO2s on our 97 F350 PSD work great in muddy conditions (BFG claims it's the newly designed side lugs that do this). I certainly like the KM2s I'm running, but I can't ignore that the KO2 outperforms the KM2 in too many circumstances to continue running a MT for my DD.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jedg
I certainly like the KM2s I'm running, but I can't ignore that the KO2 outperforms the KM2 in too many circumstances to continue running a MT for my DD.

I'm still on my factory KMs, but this is my reasoning as well for wanting a well balanced A/T tire.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by d. gage
I'm still on my factory KMs, but this is my reasoning as well for wanting a well balanced A/T tire.
I may have already mentioned it but take a look at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. All the guys at my local shop run them and love them. It's all they'll sell.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by decoy5657
I may have already mentioned it but take a look at the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. All the guys at my local shop run them and love them. It's all they'll sell.
Yeah I'll definitely look into these when the time comes, just for the closer to advertised size if nothing else.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This really is an oversize tire issue. I've had garbage lifts on previous 4runners (Toytec).
There are 10's of thousands of JK's on the road running 12.5-13.5" wide tires, there are set up correctly, and are not all over the road, rather track straight and true.
I didn't spend much time on Toytec's site, but looks like all the 4-runner lifts are for IFS rigs. Big difference in IFS and 5 link.
Do as you please, but and alignment check could save you a bunch of money (since you already have an MC lift I'm assuming you have 8 adjustable control arms).
Old 01-14-2017, 08:30 AM
JK Newbie

I have run the Duratrac, and now run the new KO2.
I am really happy with these KO2 - the on-road manners are nicer than the Duratrac (Quieter, and less road impacts felt). As far as tracking straight and so forth - that is mostly related to your caster setting. Get the caster in the +4-5 degrees and your Jeep will ride very well, regardless of tires.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:21 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone running the Mickey Thompson MTZ P3's in a 315/70r17 size? I am considering them as a replacement for my KM2s. Just curious what road impressions and off highway use experiences people have had. The OP had the MTZs on their list but have not seen any comments so figured I'd kick this out there to the forum to see some feedback.
Old 01-15-2017, 07:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mike H.
There are 10's of thousands of JK's on the road running 12.5-13.5" wide tires, there are set up correctly, and are not all over the road, rather track straight and true.
I didn't spend much time on Toytec's site, but looks like all the 4-runner lifts are for IFS rigs. Big difference in IFS and 5 link.
Do as you please, but and alignment check could save you a bunch of money (since you already have an MC lift I'm assuming you have 8 adjustable control arms).

Had a friend drive her thats done quality lifts on 3 JK's and he said all is good. He said its just the manners of a lifted/wide MT on a wrangler. Something I'll admit I'm not used to. Also the first place i went after installing the lift was to get an alignment and the brakes bled.
Old 01-16-2017, 02:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Why? Because they work. They may be an old design but there still the at tire that the rest are compared to and very few if any are any better. I went with ridge grapplers but will sit here and tell you that I don't have much confidence there going to be measurably better then a bfg at. Might out due them in mud but then I think on snow and ice the bfgs have the advantage. Bottom line is along with duratracs (another old design) the ridge grapplers have big shoes to fill to be an measurably better all around tire.

Quick Reply: The Greatest Tire Question Ever Asked