Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding/ rubbing noise when making a right turn

Old 08-07-2013, 08:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
When a unit bearing begins to fail, it will make an occasional grinding sound.

There are a couple ways to check the unit bearing. You could put that side of the axle up on a floor jack and grab the top of the tire and shake it back and forth--like I show in my death wobble diagnosis videos on YouTube as a means to test the top ball joint. The best way is to remove the wheel and then yank on the lugs to see if there is in and out play in the bearing.

I'm on my phone app so I don't see your build specs. What wheels are you running, have you regeared, and have the stock lug retainer clips been removed if you're running aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers?
Can you send me the link to the video if u get a chance?

As for my build specs, I have not regeared yet and I'm running 20" rims on 33" toyos and I also have wheel spacers. Do u recommend taking off those retaining clip?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChesterJFK
Check the driveshaft angle as well at the transmission side.. Could be binding. Is it in 4wd? Lol! Jk I dunno what else to check. Is it when driving straight or just turning?

EDIT; is this two or four door?
Haha I wish it was something as simple as just kicking out of 4wd. I don't know what the driveshaft angle is on the drive line and it only does it when I turn to the right and occasionally when I go straight from a stop
Old 08-07-2013, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ChesterJFK

EDIT; is this two or four door?
Its a 4 door
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
JK Newbie

The link is in Planman’s signature. Bottom of his posts.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fernjk27

Can you send me the link to the video if u get a chance?

As for my build specs, I have not regeared yet and I'm running 20" rims on 33" toyos and I also have wheel spacers. Do u recommend taking off those retaining clip?
Retaining clips on you lugs need to come off with aftermarket wheels. I assume the shop that installed your new wheels did this already but you should double check.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

They seriously paint the bolts???? WTF...I saw the pictures you posted and that would piss me off that I pay big money for a lift and for them to install it and they put ugly ass paint stick marks on everything...I would go APE SHIT CRAZY on them...guess that is why I do the installs myself, I hate paying people to do the fun stuff like installing lifts!
Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM
JK Newbie

I just watched your video PLANMAN, it is very good and has a lot of information. Im going to put the jeep up on stands again and triple check everything. While its in the air im going to check for the retaining clips aswell
Old 08-07-2013, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK UNLIMITED
They seriously paint the bolts???? WTF...I saw the pictures you posted and that would piss me off that I pay big money for a lift and for them to install it and they put ugly ass paint stick marks on everything...I would go APE SHIT CRAZY on them...guess that is why I do the installs myself, I hate paying people to do the fun stuff like installing lifts!
Yeah there's yellow paint marks all over my suspension, I was going to do it my self and my wife talked me out of it last minute cause it would b better if a PROFESIONALL installed it in her words lol..really wish I wouldv done it myself now
Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about taping my phone to the suspension lol since I don't have a go pro
I have done that before. Lol
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just watched your video PLANMAN, it is very good and has a lot of information. Im going to put the jeep up on stands again and triple check everything. While its in the air im going to check for the retaining clips aswell
Did you watch both Diagnosis videos?

Quick Reply: Grinding/ rubbing noise when making a right turn