Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight winch?

Old 10-17-2014, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Harbor Freight winch?

I have new bumpers and fenders finally. Now i have a front bumper with a winch mounting spot in it and would like to fill the hole. Haha. I probably would never NEED IT. But, I don't really just want something that is a total POS in there either. Does anyone have any experience with the 12,000 winch that sells for $300? I know it can't be great, economics dictates that. But is it a total POS? Should I pass? Should I get the "engo" made version that Tractor Supply sells? It's pretty inexpensive too. Haha. I want to spend less that $400-500. What do y'all suggest?
Old 10-17-2014, 05:52 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Collyn
I have new bumpers and fenders finally. Now i have a front bumper with a winch mounting spot in it and would like to fill the hole. Haha. I probably would never NEED IT. But, I don't really just want something that is a total POS in there either. Does anyone have any experience with the 12,000 winch that sells for $300? I know it can't be great, economics dictates that. But is it a total POS? Should I pass? Should I get the "engo" made version that Tractor Supply sells? It's pretty inexpensive too. Haha. I want to spend less that $400-500. What do y'all suggest?
Several friends have the harbor freight 12k winch. Most haven't used it more than once or twice in a couple years. They've always pulled fine. I debated getting one but ultimately got a recon 10,500 with syn line and recovery kit for 517 shipped to my door. Could've gotten for around 450 without recovery kit.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I've been running a 10k engo for a while and it gets the job done with minimal complaints
Old 10-17-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't have one but four wheel magazine rank great for the price. Here is the link.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/11...l-in-winching/
Old 10-17-2014, 06:50 AM
JK Newbie

I was wondering the same thing lol

Sent from my SM-N900T
Old 10-17-2014, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I get the appeal of a $300 price tag, but my rule with harbor freight has always been "don't buy anything that plugs in." A winch may be something your rarely use, but it better work when you need it to in the middle of nowhere. It's your money/time/jeep, but I don't count on their tools to power up in my garage at home, much less on the trail when there's no plan b.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

I bought one about 2 years ago with the warranty (no you cant get the warranty on the trail, but its nice to know i can walk in with it, plop it on the counter, and get a new one if need be). I also bought the wireless remote (30 bucks) to go along with it. I probably find a reason once a month to use it. Even if im just unspooling it and re-spooling it to run the gears in it. So far, ive pulled out cars from the beach, myself off of a sand dune, and a few tree branches down after a storm. Harbor Freight is also selling 30k pound snatch blocks too that i picked up a few weeks ago, havent used it yet, but ill find a reason to bust it out too. Im not saying its the best product on the market and you do take a risk of it not working when its go time. All that being said, its built well, i watched a TON of videos with it and the issues that come with it (pull the control box apart on it and squirt some RTV all around the edge to water seal it, that was the first thing i did when i pulled it out of the box!).

Old 10-17-2014, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Harbor Freight, Engo, and Bulldog are the same winch. Verified.

I had an Engo, my cousing a Bulldog, friend a Badlands. Opened them up. Same winch.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard the harbor freight is the same as the warn also. I've got a rock crawling buddy that has confirmed this and has had 4 wheel parts in Dallas price match a warn winch to the harbor freight one a few times.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
I've heard the harbor freight is the same as the warn also. I've got a rock crawling buddy that has confirmed this and has had 4 wheel parts in Dallas price match a warn winch to the harbor freight one a few times.
I'd be pretty surprised. Warn is one of the few winches that does not share gearing, motor HP specs.. etc.

Look up a Engo/Badland/Bulldog, and they all have the same gearing, and motor (comparable winch). Just as the quadratec/mile markers, and smittybilts/rugged ridge.

I researched for weeks when I bought my last winch and that's what I learned.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight winch?