Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hardtop Removal Hand Rails

Old 12-03-2014, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like a good idea HT removal is a PITA
Old 12-03-2014, 01:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost looks like a rub rail for the hardtop, but I could see that crushing the fiberglass. I still want a set tho. ddc4d

Last edited by spanky1989; 12-03-2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id make them so they were sandwiched between the tub and hardtop.. And when the hardtop is bolted down, they would then double as rub rails as they would be bolted to the tub, not to the hardtop.. if you get my drift.. id totally buy that.. even better.. they could double as attachment points for a roof basket.. time to break out the welder (the welder that i don't have)
Old 12-03-2014, 03:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spanky1989
Almost looks like a rub rail for the hardtop, but I could see that crushing the fiberglass. I still want a set tho. ddc4d
Thats what I was thinking too. At first I wanted it as it would be good protection for the hard top... but thinking about it, it doesn't transfer the load to the tub, it just sits on the fiberglass and sticks the impact point further outwards.

Looks cool though!
Old 12-03-2014, 03:32 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by orangedude71
Id make them so they were sandwiched between the tub and hardtop.. And when the hardtop is bolted down, they would then double as rub rails as they would be bolted to the tub, not to the hardtop.. if you get my drift.. id totally buy that.. even better.. they could double as attachment points for a roof basket.. time to break out the welder (the welder that i don't have)
That would tilt the rear of the hard top up and mess up the alignment.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ncb
That would tilt the rear of the hard top up and mess up the alignment.
Thats true. Best bet would be to keep it as is and use angle steel on the inside so it can be bolted to the tub instead. Similar to how some of the roof racks work for the hard top, don't remember which vendor does it that way though.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Newbie

I'm just the idea guy. I have custom 4x4 fabrication in OKC, OK make my stuff. Mike does great work and is willing to customize based on your ideas. He has been at it since the mid1990's. Reasonable too.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Gpndavid
I'm just the idea guy. I have custom 4x4 fabrication in OKC, OK make my stuff. Mike does great work and is willing to customize based on your ideas. He has been at it since the mid1990's. Reasonable too.
What's the name of the shop? I'm not to far away (Tulsa)
Old 12-03-2014, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Custom4x4fabrication
Old 12-03-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Thats true. Best bet would be to keep it as is and use angle steel on the inside so it can be bolted to the tub instead. Similar to how some of the roof racks work for the hard top, don't remember which vendor does it that way though.
Ive seen several things that wedge between hard top and tub.. example some of the rear cargo cover.. aries.. and this company here has a rack that does almost exactly what I'm thinking I don't think 1/8" stock would really effect the alignment noticeablly.. Anyways, google brought me to this which does kind of what i had in mind.. although they do mount it through the top in addition to around the bottom of the top.
JKU BIKINI X-WING - JKU

Quick Reply: Hardtop Removal Hand Rails