Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone installed AEV vents in a Call of Duty/ MOAB hood?

Old 09-03-2017, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone installed AEV vents in a Call of Duty/ MOAB hood?

I was wondering if anyone on here had modified their Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3 or MOAB hood by cutting it and installing the vents from the AEV hood?

The AEV heat reduction hood looks the same as the COD/ MOAB hood but the AEV version is vented. The COD/ MOAB hood is also made by AEV and you can purchase black or stainless steel vents from AEV for the heat reduction hood.

I called AEV and asked them this question. They said that it could not be done because the hoods are different. My own thought was that although they are different they seem pretty close and I bet it could be done.

So anyway I am curious if anyone has ever tried this. If this is possible I could potentially save a ton of money since I own a 2012 COD. The vents only cost $100 per set new and sometimes you can find them for as little as $50 used. Also if careful this modification could probably be done without the need to repaint the hood.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

I wouldn't chance it myself. If you botch the job, or they don't fit nicely, the hood is toast. Having installed a PSC hood louver, I kinda think the ole vented hood (or hood louver) is a little overrated. I never had any issues with a non-vented hood, but was sending a last batch of things to get powder coated so went ahead and did a hood louver. I really see very little difference from before to after. Wheeled in the hot Texas summer for 3.5 years without any venting, and this summer being vented. Meh. I wouldn't risk your nicer special edition hood for that.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Call Of Duty MW3

I called AEV and asked them this question. They said that it could not be done because the hoods are different. My own thought was that although they are different they seem pretty close and I bet it could be done.
So you called the manufacturer and they said no, and now you're asking a bunch of internet people that you don't know, many of whom seem to be questionable in their mechanical aptitude on a good day?

In all seriousness, you could put a hood from a Ford Pinto on your Jeep if you had the time, skills, and desire. Anything is possible, but the question becomes why? As pointed out, you've got a nice hood now, why risk butchering it?

If you wanted to attempt it, at the minimum you're going to have a bunch of cutting, welding for whatever tabs are needed to secure the vents in your exact hood, potential patching, and will then have the follow up body work and paint to get it back to a factory look. If you're serious about it, I'd look at buying the new hood, painting it to match factory and safely store yours for when you're ready to sell. I don't know how much impact the special edition items make on resale, but for some it could be a deal breaker.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a set of AEV vents if you decide to give it a try

Quick Reply: Has anyone installed AEV vents in a Call of Duty/ MOAB hood?