Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight and brake light kill switch options/how-to's?

Old 09-11-2013, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight and brake light kill switch options/how-to's?

I need to have a brake light kill switch in my 2010 jk.

EDIT: I paid a dealership $20 to have the headlights turned off when unlocking. So please ignore the headlight issue.

I want to put a kill switch on my brake lights. I had one on my old jeep and it was easily done through the fuse box. The reason why I want this is because I use my jeep to work part-time security for a friend on his large private property and hitting my brakes would give away my location to anyone poaching/trespassing.

I would like some suggestions on how to wire in a kill switch for brake lights.

Last edited by Dirtymoney; 09-14-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: no longer need headlight kill switch
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

The brake lights will be easy.
Interrupt power to the center high mounted stop light, any where from the TIPM, fuse M1, to the brake pedal switch, and the left and right brake lights will not come on either, as they are triggered by power on the CHMSL circuit after the brake pedal switch.
If you choose to tap a switch into the area of the brake pedal switch, the LG/RD wire to pin 5, or the WT/TN wire from pin 6, will do it for you.
Your switch, if on the WT/TN wire, pin 6, has to be before the OEM tap back to the TIPM for the regular brake light trigger.
(I don't know how it will affect any other systems, so be aware of possibly unwanted side effects.)

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-11-2013 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The brake lights will be easy.
Interrupt power to the center high mounted stop light, any where from the TIPM, fuse M1, to the brake pedal switch, and the left and right brake lights will not come on either, as they are triggered by power on the CHMSL circuit after the brake pedal switch.
If you choose to tap a switch into the area of the brake pedal switch, the LG/RD wire to pin 5, or the WT/TN wire from pin 6, will do it for you.
Your switch, if on the WT/TN wire, pin 6, has to be before the OEM tap back to the TIPM for the regular brake light trigger.
(I don't know how it will affect any other systems, so be aware of possibly unwanted side effects.)

Great info! But... admittedly ... some of it is beyond my understanding. I am looking for the easiest way to do it. I understand the M1 fuse, but the TIPM and break pedal switch..... where exactly are they? edit: ok... I did some looking around on the net... I take it that the switch is near the break pedal and up under the dash. I will look for it tomorrow at my work.

Last edited by Dirtymoney; 09-12-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:41 PM
JK Freak

Do you have EVIC?

If you have EVIC, you can simply go into the settings and stop you lights from turning on when the doors are locked/unlocked. Otherwise... Press and hold the UNLOCK button for at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds. Then, while still holding the UNLOCK button down, press and hold the LOCK button. Then release both buttons at the same time.

I cant help you with the brake light question.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Otherwise... Press and hold the UNLOCK button for at least 4 seconds, but no longer than 10 seconds. Then, while still holding the UNLOCK button down, press and hold the LOCK button. Then release both buttons at the same time.

I cant help you with the brake light question.
As far as I know, that will "Turn off the lights flash when locking."

The OP wants to stop the headlights from coming on steady when he unlocks the Jeep.

Last edited by ronjenx; 09-12-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 03:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I managed to do it. I put a switch inline into the brake light switch. I think it was the white and tan wire I think... or the lime green and red wire (cant remember). This kills the third brake light. Got this info from Ronjenx.

I then cut into a wire in each tail light at the tail ights themselves... in the wire harness that comes from the jeep and goes into the tail light's plug. In the driver's side one it was a white wire with a green stripe ... and the passenger side tail light it was a yellow wire (i cant remember what color stripe it had.

So, it may be a bit inelegant, but I have to hit three switches to disable all the brake lights.

I have not installed the switches anywhere yet. I want to see if I can find a switch that can control three different/separate connections with one flip of the switch. Is there such a thing?
Old 09-15-2013, 03:29 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there are DPST switches (double pole single throw) that will control 2 circuits with one switch. I've never seen a triple, but it might be out there.

EDIT
I just did a google search for "tpst switch", they do exist!

Last edited by pickjones; 09-15-2013 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A relay would do this for you, it's just a matter of running the wires. When wired one way the lights will operate and when you apply power to the circuit it will interrupt (open) the circuit just like cutting it did.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4

Quick Reply: Headlight and brake light kill switch options/how-to's?