Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from Prodigy Performance - Home of the TurboJeep!

Old 03-18-2016, 04:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
I don't understand racing a Jeep on the street (or at the track for that matter). I've been there and done that with the racing from light to light (and at the strip) with a mustang. But, in a Jeep? If you want to go fast on pavement get a fast car or SUV. I would much rather put money into tires and suspension to have a better time off road, where a Jeep belongs.
Jeeps belong on the street and off-road. That's what makes them great. Not that I'm a street racing advocate.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:32 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand racing a Jeep on the street (or at the track for that matter). I've been there and done that with the racing from light to light (and at the strip) with a mustang. But, in a Jeep? If you want to go fast on pavement get a fast car or SUV. I would much rather put money into tires and suspension to have a better time off road, where a Jeep belongs.
This is not about racing Jeeps. This not about creating the best vehicle for going fast on pavement. This is about making a Jeep better at driving on the streets (and in some off-road conditions; but the street is where you'll get the most benefit).

Whether you like it or not, most JKs spend most of their lives on pavement as daily drivers, and as weekend warriors that drive on the highways/freeways to get to the trails (but most never even leave the pavement).

Adding more power makes it easier and more enjoyable to drive on the street. More power means quicker/safer accelerating onto freeways, passing on highways, accelerating after turning out into traffic on a busy road, etc. More power is also just plain fun. If you disagree, then we cannot be friends

If your Jeep is loaded down with big heavy tires, bumpers, armor, winch, etc, then it can become quite unpleasant to drive on the streets/highways/freeways. Proper gearing of the axles makes it perform well off road at low speeds, but the only way to make it perform better at highway speeds is to add more power. Add more power, and your overweight Jeep becomes respectably quick for what it is, and a pleasure to drive on the streets/highways/freeways on the way to/from the trail.

If your Jeep is primarily a daily driver with only some minor mods to make it a lightweight but capable off-road rig for easy-to-moderate difficulty trails, then adding more power makes it ridiculously fast and fun to drive on the streets/highways/freeways.

Do I street race my Jeep? No.

If someone pulls around next to me at a light where their lane ends soon after the light, expecting that I will be slow and that they will easily pass me before the lane ends... will I get some enjoyment out of surprising them by accelerating way faster than they would expect, safely putting plenty of distance between us before the lane ends, without speeding? Heck yes!

So why show off videos of a Turbo Jeep at the drag strip? It's a simple and effective way of demonstrating how much power the turbo produces.

Would you rather see some "real world" demonstration of performance on the street? Check out this video, which includes some clips of accelerating quickly onto a freeway (and also captures the sounds of the turbo from inside the vehicle very well!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TCzCAcfajU
So should you spend money on adding a turbo to your jeep rather than upgrading tires and suspension for off-road capability? That is entirely a personal decision. Which would you enjoy more? That all depends on how you use your Jeep. Why not do both? It all depends on your budget and your priorities. I know it may be shocking, but different people use their Jeeps in different ways, have different preferences/priorities, and have different budgets. What makes sense for me doesn't necessarily make sense for you, and vice-versa.

I'm not here to to try to tell you that your preferences are wrong, or that a turbo is more important than tires/suspension/winches/etc. I'm simply here to dispense information/experience/analysis about the turbo and to clarify misunderstandings about the turbo.

If you are curious and have questions: I'm more than happy to answer them.

If it turns out that a turbo doesn't fit within your personal desires/priorities/budget: No problem. We can still have some interesting discussion that may be helpful to others in making decisions.

Either way, I'll still wave to you if I see you on the road or on the trail

~Jeff
Old 03-18-2016, 07:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very well put. The point was made with being very respectful and enlightening at the same time.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There really is a stupid simple answer to why turbocharge a jeep.
Mind you, I have a Supercharged Raptor, too. I can give the exact same answer that I give for it...Because it is a blast to drive. You don't, won't and shouldn't use the power of the Turbo all theh time, but for those times you need it, or want it, it is really fun
Old 03-18-2016, 08:43 AM
DJ1
Former Member

...and get off my lawn!

sorry, couldn't resist lol
Old 03-18-2016, 09:15 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Az scooter
There really is a stupid simple answer to why turbocharge a jeep ... Because it is a blast to drive.

This basically summarizes my personal opinion on the matter.

But this is not my personal account, so I figured the diplomatic response would be more appropriate. Thanks for saying it for me.

~Jeff

Quick Reply: Hello from Prodigy Performance - Home of the TurboJeep!