Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help choosing what direction would be the best way to start

Old 10-12-2011, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help choosing what direction would be the best way to start

not really sure where to start so here goes.first of i am looking for guys that have built both basic wrangler and rubicons.
i am looking to buy and have built my first jeep.i will not be doing a ton of rock krawling but want to have the option if so.i want 37 inch tires.will be a daily driver so must ride great.thinking about 5.5 rock krawler lift with regear.

-option 1 buy a new 2012 2dr sport and start there.add lift,gears,lockers,driveshafts,axle,shafts,strenth en dana 30,or go pro44,and whatever else may be needed.

- option 2 buy a used 2dr rubicon jk and build off that and use same setup except use stock lockers and whatever else will be need to run 37s.

- what jeep would be a better starting point?i have been told that the rubicon is pretty much a
waist due to changing out pretty much of the stock rubicon parts anyway.also whats everyones opinion on auto or 6speed?
hope to get some good feedback so i can at least start looking for a jeep to start with.
Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Buy new be the first owner, make it "your jeep, your baby" so much sweeter. And as a daily drive id say 37s are to much and would recommend 35s but thats just me. Good luck
Old 10-12-2011, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

with a rock krawler you wont have to go 5.5 to run 37's i installed a 3.5 with a 1/2 spacer if i were to put flat flares or cut stockers i would have no problem running 37's. As far as ride goes with rock krawler (i like it) im running elkas and they are known to be a lil stiff but its cool because they are made for offroad and if you have ever been to louisiana the roads are shit, so offroad shocks work out fine
Old 10-13-2011, 02:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Karls if I swap out the d30,i would go with a prorock 44. But it's about 5000
Old 10-13-2011, 02:20 AM
JK Junkie

Having gone from a Sport to a Rubicon, I say go with the Rubicon.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
If you're going to scrap the d30 on your 12 just to goto a d44 then why not just start out with a d44? Any way you look at it, 37's are a lot of stress on the axles. As far as "throwing away parts", it's a yes and no. The rubicon has the nicer transfer case and buying anything 11 and older will give you a platform you can really build on and use people's knowledge. They're still working the bugs out of the 12's.

I would do a used rubi, gusset, sleeve, regear, pick your lift, get the 37's and enjoy it. Another thing to consider would be the price difference in a used rubi vs a new 12. Right there even if you pay the same price, look at what you get fresh out of the gate.
x2.................
Old 10-13-2011, 03:14 AM
jdk
JK Freak

Rubicon,,Start strong and build stronger.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I had the money for a rubi at the time, I would have bought one. On the flip side, I'm enjoying my JKU sport build...

Have not seen it mentioned (maybe it did), but if you go with a 5.5" lift, you might want to make your next immediate mod some new driveshafts...
Old 10-13-2011, 04:59 AM
JK Freak

I bought my 07' X knowing I am swaping out the frt axle. I also knew I was going to drive it 50 miles every day and wheel on weekends. 5.5 for a 37 tire is to much lift IMO. The 2 or 3 RK kits are plenty of lift for a 35-37 with flat flares and keeps the COG low.

Anyone that drives a 2012 loves them. (including WOL)I just could not take a new Jeep and strip it. Not to mention the money you save buying a used Rubi would do a hell of a lot of mods.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

My opinion 37's and 5.5" lift too much for a daily driver. It would look great, but if you make any type of long commute you will get tired of it. Not to mention the cost of driveshafts, control arms etc. I run 35's and if I had to depend on it daily for commuting for any distance it would suck. Now if you have a second vehicle I say go for it. And I also vote for the Rubicon if nothing else for the d-44's and transfer case

Quick Reply: help choosing what direction would be the best way to start