Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with dealer diagnosis

Old 06-05-2012, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry yes the relay. My wife was talking as I was typing.

The thing you gotta remember is the lockers are electrically engaged and mechanically disengaged if the lockers are still engaged when power is off then it is mechanically binding up. Easy test jack the rear axle trans in neutral turn one wheel by hand does the other wheel turn in the same rotation as the one you are spinning or opposite? If the same direction then the locker is mechanically binding. If turning opposite rotation then the locker is disengaged, at that time turn the key to the on position and if the locker engages at that time then if is a electrical issue( short, relay, module, switch)
Old 12-31-2012, 12:57 PM
JK Freak

So, about two weeks ago I had another catastrophic failure of my rear diff. Same exact story, couldn't get the rear lockers to disengage. I went back and questioned the mechanic that worked on it the first time. He tells me they found black oil in the diff the first time around. I assumed they changed the oil after the first "fix", only to find out after this second failure they did not. They replaced the entire diff this time around. I made a formal complaint with Chrysler LLC. So, what kind of mechanic leaves dirty oil in? Of course, the service rep approaches me and says " Well, it certainly looks like you've been using your vehicle for its intended purpose." My response was equally pointed with a " Gee I really can't think of too many situations where I'd engage my lockers on asphalt." So far, I've turned my lockers on twice, neither time under any significant load like offroading.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Sounds like the service advisor has Jeep envy....or should I say Rubi envy Lol....it's not a frigging Neon for goodness sake!

Good luck with the fix
Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx

That is correct. It tells the computer what position the locker is in.
Yup, takes all of 30 seconds to swap out... Once you pull drain the diff, pull the axles, and yank the carrier out. About 80% of the issues I've seen with the elockers not disengaging is from the position sensor.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Kind of sick of the complaints about dealer service departments. If u don't like it or if u know more than the technician, don't go there.
It's the elitest attitude that causes dealers flag warranties. I'm quite sure it didn't take a technician 5 days to isolate a switch or a sensor in a rear diff. Perhaps the service dept had a few cars lined up before your appt. You obviously didn't just drop in on your local dealer, that would've been rude. Understand that there is a process of fixing a vehicle, but just replacing the failed part isn't one of them. The manufacturer want to see a cause. This way they can go after their vendor to cover your "free" repairs. There's a lot more to it than what the average Joe can see......(leaving soapbox now!)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by nictac1
Kind of sick of the complaints about dealer service departments. If u don't like it or if u know more than the technician, don't go there.
It's the elitest attitude that causes dealers flag warranties. I'm quite sure it didn't take a technician 5 days to isolate a switch or a sensor in a rear diff. Perhaps the service dept had a few cars lined up before your appt. You obviously didn't just drop in on your local dealer, that would've been rude. Understand that there is a process of fixing a vehicle, but just replacing the failed part isn't one of them. The manufacturer want to see a cause. This way they can go after their vendor to cover your "free" repairs. There's a lot more to it than what the average Joe can see......(leaving soapbox now!)
damn I read this thread over 3 times and not quite getting the elitist attitude you are talking about. You work at a jeep dealership involved by chance?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just read your profile. Your reply is one typical of a service manager.

It's fellow's like you that make us not want to ever step foot in a dealer's service department without fear of being treated like a 16 year old girl with their first car. Unfortunately we must come visit dealers for warranty work in which case we should be treated with respect and courtesy as we are in-fact a customer, not a nuisance.

Way to go buddy. I'm sure your post is really going to want people to come visit your place of business and let your team work on their vehicles.

Last edited by E-Man; 01-01-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Newbie

My post was to ask of you what u ask of us. A little patience and respect. We work hard @ what we do & get blamed for things that are way out of our control.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Not involved, never even flagged a warranty, but have told Chrysler & my rep that a customer is too much to handle or the little warranty work they r having done. It's not with the hassle. Tell them to thake the vehicle elsewhere. It's a case by case real if you treat my people right, they'll go above and bwyonsd to help. If you become a prick, or treat my people in a way that they don't deserve, I don't need tour business.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not involved, never even flagged a warranty, but have told Chrysler & my rep that a customer is too much to handle or the little warranty work they r having done. It's not with the hassle. Tell them to thake the vehicle elsewhere. It's a case by case real if you treat my people right, they'll go above and bwyonsd to help. If you become a prick, or treat my people in a way that they don't deserve, I don't need tour business.
Yikes! Now who has the elitest attitude?

Quick Reply: Help with dealer diagnosis