Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help deciding which gears are better for me???

Old 01-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JPB
ok so let me see if i can sum up all of this info. and please correct me if i'm wrong.

1. If I ever plan to put 37's on this jeep, I should probably get the 4.88's.
2. I would probably get better MPG with 4.88 in town as opposed to 4.56.
3. 4.88's would cruise at higher RPM's on the Hwy (say at 75mph), but this is not so bad because of less strain on transmission/drivetrain and 200-300 RPM's higher doesnt really make that much of a difference.
4. Runnng 4.88's as opoosed to 4.56 on the Hwy at 70-75mph will not make much of a difference in MPG because of wind resistance, weight, tire/wheel setup, etc.

Are the answers to all of these statements yes for the most part..

Remember i'm pretty much on flat land, drive probably 90-95% in town, once in a blue moon go on a light to moderate trail (no rocks), mostly camping, fishing, and exploring type stuff.

I think i would "like" the 4.88 but I think for my purposes 4.56 will probably be the way I will go.... opinions happily accepted .Oh.. BTW are my statements correct?
Cheers
For a '12+, your observations are correct for an automatic and fine for a flatlander-owned 6 speed.

'07-'11s have taller overdrive transmission gears and an engine that needs higher rpms to efficiently produce power. So, the desired ratio with 37s would be 5.13s for 6 speeds and 5.38s with automatics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quick Reply: Help deciding which gears are better for me???