Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Has anyone else had this problem?
YES
50.00%
NO
50.00%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

HELP! ESP Activation through normal corners

Old 01-31-2007, 05:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry HELP! ESP Activation through normal corners

OK, I don't think that I'm the only one having this problem.

My ESP is activating through corners under normal driving conditions. What I mean by this is that the ESP light flashes, brakes are applied and the throttle is cut. This is an unacceptable condition and very annoying to live with since this Jeep is my daily driver.

The vehicle has done this since day 1 and has continued without getting worse even though I have installed a 2.5" Teraflex lift and 265/75-16 (31.6" diameter) tires. Yes, I did recenter my steering wheel after the lift installation.

Now the dealer is saying that they can't do anything for me since I've changed the tire size (from 225/75-16) and the vehicle is "modified". They even mentioned that if I complain to DC that my vehicle warranty may be voided!

The dealer did flash my computer for 255/70-17 (31.1") tires and on a prior visit they did the flash for my radio cutout and the throttle response issue.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

This is not normal and you need to take it to another dealer. Some dealers are cool about lifts, others aren't and some are just jerks. The fact is, that your whole warranty wont be voided. If something breaks or needs work as a result of what you have modified, they can then void that issue from warranty coverage. If they are cool, they will be fair, say you put 44" boggers on it, and snapped an axle, thats abviously because you put too big of tires and they wont cover it as its truly not their fault. but if you put 32" tires and the ESP is freaking out, they should cover it as the Rubicon comes with 32" tires and its ESP isn't freaking out... I drive one, and i drive like a maniac and only once did it come on, and thats cause i just kept going faster and faster up the freeway ramp until it came on so i would kinow what it feels like. My dealer is really cool, and even with my old TJ with 7" of lift, 33" tires, 300 horse power, and my crazy lead foot behind the wheel, they still covered things. Basically, try another dealer and have them look into it, shop around until you get the result that you want.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does this in a particular curve near my house. The curve is actually banked to the inside and I am guessing that this confuses the computer into thinking that I am still going straight even though I have turned the wheel. I can't remember if it did this before the lift or not. There have been a few other times that it has activated, but nothing major.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by YjtoJk

My ESP is activating through corners under normal driving conditions.
In the meantime, shut the ESP off, you don't need it under normal driving conditions anyway.... I know it doesn't fix the problem, but you'll be less annoyed until it is corrected...
Old 01-31-2007, 07:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does it on a couple of on/off ramps. It didn't come on before my lift but I did the lift when it was pretty new, so I am not sure if it would have.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Angryitch
In the meantime, shut the ESP off, you don't need it under normal driving conditions anyway.... I know it doesn't fix the problem, but you'll be less annoyed until it is corrected...
Well, it wouldn't be a problem if the engineers at Chrysler gave me the option of shutting the ESP off in 2WD. You can only go to "partial off" mode in 2WD according to my owners manual and personal experience. This shuts down the traction control only. Please advise if you know otherwise.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by YjtoJk
Well, it wouldn't be a problem if the engineers at Chrysler gave me the option of shutting the ESP off in 2WD. You can only go to "partial off" mode in 2WD according to my owners manual and personal experience. This shuts down the traction control only. Please advise if you know otherwise.

Thanks.
Are you sure you have the steering wheel centered? I had the same problem after I put on a 3 1/4" lift with 35"s, but after centering the steering wheel back up I have'nt had any problems with the ESP.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

Default Steering Wheel

The steering wheel "looks" centered. I'm not aware of a precision method to check this though. I had to turn the drag link adjuster about 2 whole turns to get back to center. Please advise if you know of a better method.

By the way, the Jeep is driving better now that they flashed for the 31" tires. I'm thinking they actually flashed for 32" tires since the speedo seems to register much faster than before. I'll check it on the freeway today with my GPS.

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:48 AM
JK Newbie

Default Dealer service contradiction

This is interesting. The dealer just contacted me after talking with their regional representative and said that there is nothing more than can do for my ESP problem. He said that if I wanted the 32" tires then I should have bought the Rubicon instead of the X model. Then I asked what size tires the tech flashed my computer for and he said 255/75-17. This equates to 32" tires.

I told him that it actually drives noticeably better now and thanked him for his service. Now I'm just going to wait and see if the aftermarket comes up with a module to shut this stupid ESP computer off in 2WD mode.

If I had known about this problem with the 2007 models I would have bought a 2006 TJ for sure! Then I wouldn't have to wait for all the other aftermarket goodies to upgrade my chariot.

By the way, I work as a programmer for a manufacturing company. So I have some experience with liabilities and why a company designs these features in the name of "safety". Not a good thing for those of us that want to modify their Jeeps that are still under warranty.

This has been another "learning" experience......
Old 02-01-2007, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

I have a stock Rubicon and the esp flashed me the other day for the first time. I go over a mountain pass where the road changes camber from one turn to the next. If I go too fast in third it comes on. If I am in fourth it doesn't. Seem like it is set a bit too tight for me.

Quick Reply: HELP! ESP Activation through normal corners