Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help I just got the Smittybilt GEAR overhead Console

Old 04-30-2012, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help I just got the Smittybilt GEAR overhead Console

Hey guys,

I just got the GEAR overhead console for my Jeep as a birthday present! I've wanted it forever and have really been looking forward to getting it. However, there is a problem. I went to install it the other day and hit a snag right away. On my 07, the center roof attachment point (the one you hardtop guys use) doesnt unscrew like on other models. Now I could just drill it out, but I'm hoping someday in the future to get a hardtop and this point is really needed to keep it water tight. I was wondering if you guys can think of anyways to fab up a connection to the existing center roof attachment point. Basically, the console connects straight from the center point and then back above the sound bar. (I attacked the link for the installation instructions for your visual people) Any Ideas are really, really appreciated

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/114558.pdf
Old 04-30-2012, 04:48 PM
JK Freak

Can you use this with the hardtop?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

The hardtop doesn't attach to the center footman loop.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:35 AM
JK Newbie

I was thinking about getting one of these for my 2012 Rubicon kinda second guessing it now after reading this
Old 05-01-2012, 08:35 AM
JK Newbie

The Center point is used for the windshield when it is flipped down it secures it to the hood so it doesn't flop around on the road or trail, so unless you plan on putting your windshield down then you don't have to worry as to how to take that off drilling it out would work if its a rivet but it might be a pressure screw where the top pops when it is torqued up in that case if you drill it out then use an extractor that might work. If all else fail you can always drill it out.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Newbie

The center footman loop is only used on the 2011+ hardtop
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These guys are correct. The hardtop uses the two footman loops above your visors. The middle footman loop is useless in this scenario. I installed the Smittybilt GEAR Overhead Console two weeks ago and also had to drill out the middle footman loop in my 2008 JKU Sahara. The installation was super easy and the console looks awesome. I also am running it with my Freedom hardtop though it says it's made for use with Soft tops only. It fits perfectly fine with the hardtop. When taking off the Freedom Top, I merely have to open all the latches on the outsides first, then I have ample room to lift the top a bit and unlatch the middle two. When putting the Freedom Top back on, I do the reverse, middle two latches first and then the outside latches. To make a long story short, go ahead with your install, it will look awesome and will have absolutely no negative effects when you decide to put on your Hardtop.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.jpg
Views:	1549
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	311448Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 (1).jpg
Views:	2937
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	311449Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (1).jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	311450
As you can see in the first picture I posted, the front latches of the Hardtop attach to the visor footman loops, not the center. Drill that sucker right out and enjoy your extra storage space with a badass look!

Last edited by Hack12; 05-01-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Its hard to see the console in those pics
Old 05-01-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, not the best pics...sorry. They were taken with my iphone.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:10 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome news! Thanks so up for the help guys! I'll post some pictures when I get it installed later this weekend...

Quick Reply: Help I just got the Smittybilt GEAR overhead Console