Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Identify my Suspension/Lift and other questions

Old 09-12-2018, 09:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Yes, you'll need to tweak the TB length a touch shorter so the axle is centered again, and will then need to adjust the DL to recenter the steering wheel again.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
Yes, you'll need to tweak the TB length a touch shorter so the axle is centered again, and will then need to adjust the DL to recenter the steering wheel again.
I have done the recentering of the steering wheel. I figured it would move the centering of the axle just unsure of which way. Thanks.
I have to get outside and more work down before it gets too Hot.
Old 09-13-2018, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I could not get the trackbar to budge when trying to adjust it. I am a bit limited and power tools. Was trying to do everything with hand tools. Stuff just wasn't budging. Does this picture look like its an adjustable trackbar?

Well, I could not get the Control Arms loosened up either so will have to take it is soon to have them installed as well as adjust that trackbar if it can be adjusted.
But what I can tell from the Drag link flip kit it does ride less flighty and bump steer. Which was the ultimate goal. LOL.

Will it hurt the Jeep if that rear is off center by about 1.25" and the front is off by about 1.5"?
Old 09-13-2018, 02:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You really need some leverage for a lot of suspension type work and jam nuts. 2' breaker bar and a 24" crescent from HF go a long ways, sometimes more useful than power tools, and not a big investment. That front TB does look like it has a jam nut and threads on it, so yes it's adjustable. With the rear too short, and the front TB too long, both axles are cheating to the passenger side. You'll be ok to drive it round till you can get it corrected.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

UPDATE: Well, I finally got the ride quality to a 90% improvement and I say that because it still pulls slightly to the left. The shop that did the alignment tried every combo of switching the wheels in case of radial pull but nothing. I am thinking of getting rid of the Bilstein Steering Damper and go with something that is not gas charged as I have read that can cause the pulling. Good idea? The slight pull but drives me nuts. Otherwise, the bump steering and everything I was experiencing is no longer.
I replaced the Trackbars front and rear with Teraflex Adjustable Trackbars. The tie rod ends were shot so replaced that. I did the JKS Drag link flip kit with a new joint at the pitman arm and new clamp. With these changes, it drives so much better. Both axles are still slightly about an inch to the driver's side but will fix that since they are now both adjustable.
I still have to install the Teraflex Cam Bolt Eliminator Kit along with the Teraflex Alpine Lower Control Arms and get the castor to about 5* right now it's around 4.1* + 4.2*.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:09 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by CaJeep07
I am thinking of getting rid of the Bilstein Steering Damper and go with something that is not gas charged as I have read that can cause the pulling. Good idea? .
I've never liked gas charged units for that application. Maybe the best thing for you to do is pull that SS off completely and take it for a test drive. You are perfectly fine to do so. Many people, including myself, don't even use a SS. That will at least give you a quick indication if it's playing a part in the pulling or not.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've never liked gas charged units for that application. Maybe the best thing for you to do is pull that SS off completely and take it for a test drive. You are perfectly fine to do so. Many people, including myself, don't even use a SS. That will at least give you a quick indication if it's playing a part in the pulling or not.
Really? I did not realize you can go without the SS. I will have to try that and see. The pull is really annoying. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:29 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by CaJeep07
Really? I did not realize you can go without the SS. I will have to try that and see. The pull is really annoying. Thanks.
IMO, it's just kinda there as the last minute piece of the puzzle, icing on the cake so to speak, to keep all the steering harmonics in perfect harmony....absorb little bumps and whatnot. There are a lot of people running around on 35s, 37s, 40s without them. If a jeep is set up correctly, you should be able to drive along and not even notice it's not there. If a gremlin pops up in the steering system, you catch it much quicker too....cuz there's nothing trying to cover it up.

I'm not suggesting that running without a SS is perfect for you, but by all means, you're safe to remove yours and take a test drive and see if you can feel a difference.

If you decide to scrap the Bilstein, and you can't find a plain ole factory takeoff (which is a perfectly fine SS), look at the TF VSS9550 for $55.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

IMO, it's just kinda there as the last minute piece of the puzzle, icing on the cake so to speak, to keep all the steering harmonics in perfect harmony....absorb little bumps and whatnot. There are a lot of people running around on 35s, 37s, 40s without them. If a jeep is set up correctly, you should be able to drive along and not even notice it's not there. If a gremlin pops up in the steering system, you catch it much quicker too....cuz there's nothing trying to cover it up.

I'm not suggesting that running without a SS is perfect for you, but by all means, you're safe to remove yours and take a test drive and see if you can feel a difference.

If you decide to scrap the Bilstein, and you can't find a plain ole factory takeoff (which is a perfectly fine SS), look at the TF VSS9550 for $55.

Great, thanks for the info. Will play with that in the next couple of days and see how I like it and see if it solves the pulling.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I took off the SS and it solved the pulling problem and it actually is not that bad of a drive. I may just keep it off a while and see how I like it. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Help Identify my Suspension/Lift and other questions