Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please- steering wheel play, drifting (Steering Box?)

Old 04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help Please- steering wheel play, drifting (Steering Box?)

I have an issue while driving where I have a lot of play in my steering. I can move the steering wheel side to side a few inches without affecting my direction of travel. While driving it's a matter of moving the steering wheel right and left repeatedly to maintain a straight direction. Also, if I'm in a slight turn/curve when I drive over (or "hop" over, I should say) a bump or a grade change, it seems to quickly want to go the other direction. Not sure how I can better explain it than that.
I was told the tie rod end at the pitman arm was bad so I had it replaced, which improved my ride but didn't fix this particular problem. I trust it was bad because it solved a different issue.
I don't know shit about steering stuff, etc. but this all seemed to have happened after I installed my new JKS adjustable trackbar. Maybe a coincidence or my simple mind says it tighted up my front end so much that its affecting something else, in a way, it works TOO good? The only other thing I want to mention is that now that it happens I try to pay closer attention when its happening and for some reason I'm starting to think the sudden direction change happens after my rear end passes (or "hits") the bump while in a slight curve. Another note I wonder about is that I have more weight on the front end (XRC front bumper and a warn 8000 winch) but the rear is still stock.
Anyway, I'm now told it looks like it is the steering box that has some play in it. By an experienced mechanic who seems to know his shit and doesn't seem to be out to rob anyone. He has always done me right.
So here's where I need you:
Does this sound like a steering box issue? (To me, I'm guessing yes) If not, what should I be looking at?
If I am going to purchase a new steering box, what do you suggest? Is there a beefed up one that I can get of better quality?

2009 Sahara 2 door
2-3 leveling lift
Rancho adjustable shocks
35 X 12.5 X 17 (actual 33 1/2 measurement) Goodyear Fierce
JKS adjustable trackbar
dual BDS steering stabilizers

Thank you
---Luke
Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you looked at your steering sector shaft?

Jks makes a brace kit as the steering box tends to go bad
Old 04-04-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Have you had an alignment to see where your toe and caster are at?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rays0852
Have you looked at your steering sector shaft?

Jks makes a brace kit as the steering box tends to go bad
Never heard of it, trying to read up on this right now.
Will it fix my problem, if it's already bad?
I bought it from Northridge and I specifically asked if there were any other braces or anything else I should get or that I needed and he said "No".
Is it too late for this, or would it fix the drifting?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by river2c
Have you had an alignment to see where your toe and caster are at?
I had the alignment done after trackbar install when I noticed the steering problem and being able to move the wheel back and forth without changing the direction of travel. I forgot to mention that was my first attempt at a fix before I even did the tie rod at the pitman arm. Alignment dude said the trackbar was dead on at .01.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by angercrown

Never heard of it, trying to read up on this right now.
Will it fix my problem, if it's already bad?
I bought it from Northridge and I specifically asked if there were any other braces or anything else I should get or that I needed and he said "No".
Is it too late for this, or would it fix the drifting?
I'm not saying that's your issue, but I would check it out

As I understand it the factory steering box is so expensive to rebuild you are better off getting a new one and they can run several hundred dollars.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds like the track bar is bad or the bolts aren't tight. But could also be the steering box.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AGR makes a custom, ( not rebuilt) better steering box for the jk, if the box is your issue, this would be better to replace it with than the crappy stocker.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4LCKD10RUBIUNLTD

More info on that. Never heard of it.
agrperformance motorsports
Old 04-04-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

Try tightening up your steering box. Theres a plate on top with a large nut and a allen screw. Loosen the nut (17MM I believe) and turn the allen screw just a little bit clockwise. Not to much. Then retighten the larger nut. If your not comfortable doing that find someone you trust to help you. It worked for me.

Quick Reply: Help Please- steering wheel play, drifting (Steering Box?)