Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Please- steering wheel play, drifting (Steering Box?)

Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rays0852
I'm not saying that's your issue, but I would check it out

As I understand it the factory steering box is so expensive to rebuild you are better off getting a new one and they can run several hundred dollars.
I don't expect you to diagnose and fix my problem over the forum. It's tough to show intent or explain myself by typing
What I mean to say is... If the steering box IS the real issue, would it be too late for this thing to correct it?
Let me try again..
Is this made to correct it ---OR--- prevent this from happening in the first place?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
agrperformance motorsports
I found this, but now they lost me with the technical terms and ratios and shit. Anyone know which one I need?
[agrperformance.com/Jeep-AGR-Performance-MB-Motorsports-JK.htm[/url]
I guess I can just call, I don't see prices listed anyway... which is usually a bad thing. But hey, when I order the filet off the menu with no price listed it's usually fantastic.. until the bill comes

Last edited by mkjeep; 04-05-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure who your referring to but what I wrote tightens up the worm gear inside the steering box so it doesn't feel like its going all over the road. If I'm wrong please someone else chime in.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

so i had this problem a couple of times already, what i did was have my wife start the jeep sit in the drivers seat and turn the wheel back and forth not all the way but turn right and left 180 deg. i started by looking at the pitman arm where it connects to the steering shaft one time i noticed the pitman arm moved up while it was being turn. the pitman arm had broken teeth on it and i replaced and fixed it. couple of weeks later same problem same thing wife sits in jeep turns wheel pitman arm was good, tie rod end good but the track bar was loose, tightened it and bam problem fixed. another time it was a front lower control arm. but it sound like to me some thing is loose and you just nned to re torque it down easy fix once you find it.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had and still have this problem on my TJ. Several shops have said I was crazy when describing this and said it was "normal"

Now my son has the TJ, and he is always bitching about the play in the steering wheel. My JK doesnt have it, but would love to see what anyone comes up with.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
Not sure who your referring to but what I wrote tightens up the worm gear inside the steering box so it doesn't feel like its going all over the road. If I'm wrong please someone else chime in.
I don't see anyone chiming in, maybe I'll try it
Old 04-06-2012, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by angercrown

I don't see anyone chiming in, maybe I'll try it
Whoa, might wanna talk to ronjenx on here, that steering box isn't as easily corrected with slack as in years past. The adj variant is very small and you can f'k it up.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Whoa, might wanna talk to ronjenx on here, that steering box isn't as easily corrected with slack as in years past. The adj variant is very small and you can f'k it up.
That's why I said be careful!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Dog
That's why I said be careful!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 10:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

See, now I'm afraid to try adjusting it. This sucks.

Quick Reply: Help Please- steering wheel play, drifting (Steering Box?)