JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Modified JK Tech (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/)
-   -   Help--Stripped Wheel Lug Stud (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/help-stripped-wheel-lug-stud-40379/)

VA_Rubi-Red 05-15-2008 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron (Post 498537)
One on my JK stripped out after getting new wheels, tires and lug nuts. I was reinstalling the old lug nuts because the garage sold me a four wheel set and they were a different size and used a different lock than my spare. On top of that, because they were larger, the tools I had to remove the tires would not work because I needed new, thin wall tools especially designed for removing lug-nuts (like a cross bar that I had isn't designed for that purpose!). So, I said to heck with Gorilla Nuts and reinstalled the stock lugs and Mopar locking nuts. One of the Gorilla Nuts would not remove. I was the person who'd installed it, and I knew I'd torqued it properly. And it went on easy as pie. And I was really afraid I'd break the stud trying to remove it. I even went to a wheel shop but they refused to work on it: They didn't want to be blamed for damaging the wheel. Anyway, I returned home and sprayed it with WD-40 and really applied the muscle and a long breaker bar. The lug nut finally came off. And there were less than two threads that were stripped on the stud, but the Gorilla Nut was shredded. So, I used a rethreading tool to restore the stud threads and have a good six or seven turns of the stock lug nut engaging. Decided that was safe. Bottom line: Gorilla Nuts are soft and easily damaged. I won't ever buy them again.

Well, mine are Gorilla nuts too :naw:, and now I'm gonna swap them out for something better. Any recommendations for lug nuts on Cragar wheels?

VA_Rubi-Red 05-15-2008 03:02 PM

Shop replaced my stripped wheel stud...

...just didn't have the time nor the inclination working on my own to try the replacement myself, so I brought I brought it to my local shop and they had the stud replaced in about 20 minutes. Cost me $75 for 1/2 hr labor and the stud/nut.

Rangerlicious 11-25-2011 05:01 PM

Factory stripped my stud...Can I do local driving on four lugs?

I wish I could blame mine on a tire shop....mine was stripped on the assembly line. Just discovered it today as I was doing the first tire rotation on my 2011 Rubi Unlimited. Would really like to get hold of the impact wrenching jerk who puts the right-front wheels onto new Wranglers.....

Do you think I can get away with local driving on 4 lug nuts until I can replace the stud??

mkjeep 11-25-2011 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rangerlicious (Post 2683248)
Do you think I can get away with local driving on 4 lug nuts until I can replace the stud??

Yes you can. :yup: You'll wanna replace it as soon as you can though.

jgobbels 11-25-2011 07:18 PM

If you don't know or want to save a few minutes at the dealer here are the P/N

Front Stud P/N 68003282AA

Rear Stud P/N 68003287AA

Best-

john

deeker 11-25-2011 07:53 PM

I stripped a couple of wheel nuts - one locking, one regular 'capped' nut - and the special socket tool (piece of junk tool) earlier this year. The locking one was made by McGard. They were all over-tightened by the shop that swapped out my wheels last winter. I tried banging on another socket, those fancy nut removal sockets, voodoo magic, willing the nuts to loosen...

I ended up drilling through the locking nut and stud. Once I got deep enough I torqued the wheel side to side and broke the stud off. Drove in another truck down to the dealership to get another wheel stud and replace it on the Jeep. I don't use locking nuts any more. If someone wants to steal my wheels they can have at it! I just don't want to deal with that frustration again.

I also went out a bought solid capped wheel nuts instead of those metal capped ones that can distort when torqued tight. I will be the only one swapping wheels around, and will only use a manual torque wrench vs. air drive impact.

jaker t5 11-25-2011 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by jgobbels (Post 2683597)
If you don't know or want to save a few minutes at the dealer here are the P/N

Front Stud P/N 68003282AA ( 2.50)

Rear Stud P/N 68003287AA ( 9.50)

Best-

john

Here I put some prices in for you , damn Chrysler

AirForceMike 11-26-2011 04:49 AM

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ud+replacement

Here you go. If the other link isn't detailed enough, use this one. Same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago, takes 10 minutes tops to fix. :thumbsup: