Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help--Stripped Wheel Lug Stud

Old 05-15-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
One on my JK stripped out after getting new wheels, tires and lug nuts. I was reinstalling the old lug nuts because the garage sold me a four wheel set and they were a different size and used a different lock than my spare. On top of that, because they were larger, the tools I had to remove the tires would not work because I needed new, thin wall tools especially designed for removing lug-nuts (like a cross bar that I had isn't designed for that purpose!). So, I said to heck with Gorilla Nuts and reinstalled the stock lugs and Mopar locking nuts. One of the Gorilla Nuts would not remove. I was the person who'd installed it, and I knew I'd torqued it properly. And it went on easy as pie. And I was really afraid I'd break the stud trying to remove it. I even went to a wheel shop but they refused to work on it: They didn't want to be blamed for damaging the wheel. Anyway, I returned home and sprayed it with WD-40 and really applied the muscle and a long breaker bar. The lug nut finally came off. And there were less than two threads that were stripped on the stud, but the Gorilla Nut was shredded. So, I used a rethreading tool to restore the stud threads and have a good six or seven turns of the stock lug nut engaging. Decided that was safe. Bottom line: Gorilla Nuts are soft and easily damaged. I won't ever buy them again.
Well, mine are Gorilla nuts too , and now I'm gonna swap them out for something better. Any recommendations for lug nuts on Cragar wheels?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Shop replaced my stripped wheel stud...

...just didn't have the time nor the inclination working on my own to try the replacement myself, so I brought I brought it to my local shop and they had the stud replaced in about 20 minutes. Cost me $75 for 1/2 hr labor and the stud/nut.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:01 PM
JK Newbie

Default Factory stripped my stud...Can I do local driving on four lugs?

I wish I could blame mine on a tire shop....mine was stripped on the assembly line. Just discovered it today as I was doing the first tire rotation on my 2011 Rubi Unlimited. Would really like to get hold of the impact wrenching jerk who puts the right-front wheels onto new Wranglers.....

Do you think I can get away with local driving on 4 lug nuts until I can replace the stud??
Old 11-25-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rangerlicious
Do you think I can get away with local driving on 4 lug nuts until I can replace the stud??
Yes you can. You'll wanna replace it as soon as you can though.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Newbie

If you don't know or want to save a few minutes at the dealer here are the P/N

Front Stud P/N 68003282AA

Rear Stud P/N 68003287AA

Best-

john
Old 11-25-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I stripped a couple of wheel nuts - one locking, one regular 'capped' nut - and the special socket tool (piece of junk tool) earlier this year. The locking one was made by McGard. They were all over-tightened by the shop that swapped out my wheels last winter. I tried banging on another socket, those fancy nut removal sockets, voodoo magic, willing the nuts to loosen...

I ended up drilling through the locking nut and stud. Once I got deep enough I torqued the wheel side to side and broke the stud off. Drove in another truck down to the dealership to get another wheel stud and replace it on the Jeep. I don't use locking nuts any more. If someone wants to steal my wheels they can have at it! I just don't want to deal with that frustration again.

I also went out a bought solid capped wheel nuts instead of those metal capped ones that can distort when torqued tight. I will be the only one swapping wheels around, and will only use a manual torque wrench vs. air drive impact.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jgobbels
If you don't know or want to save a few minutes at the dealer here are the P/N

Front Stud P/N 68003282AA ( 2.50)

Rear Stud P/N 68003287AA ( 9.50)

Best-

john
Here I put some prices in for you , damn Chrysler
Old 11-26-2011, 04:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ud+replacement

Here you go. If the other link isn't detailed enough, use this one. Same thing happened to me about 2 weeks ago, takes 10 minutes tops to fix.

Quick Reply: Help--Stripped Wheel Lug Stud