Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Timken Bearing Speed Sensor Replacement - JK

Old 02-14-2019, 02:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtyboxer
I too installed Timken unit bearings 2010 JKUR based upon experience with the brand. Today I broke a wheel stud - local auto parts do not stock so I bought one from local Jeep dealership for about $10. Get home and try to install and remember my hubs are not OEM - they are Timken. The OEM stud is too large knurl diameter to fit into the Timken hub hole. I measured and think I found something that will work. I ordered them and will install and report back - for now the part found is Dorman # 610.395.1 with 0.582" knurl diameter.

Side note I called Timken and spoke to customer service - the only thing they could tell me was the thread size 1/2 x 20. After going round and round they put me to an engineer and all he could tell me was thread size 1/2 x 20. After a bit I told him he was no help and thanked him for his time. Reading above that Timken really doesn't make this part - now makes sense why they could not answer my question. I even ask if I could buy the stud directly from Timken was told no - just return unit bearing to Rock Auto for warranty, I told him that is crazy when a wheel stud is a $2-3 part plus all the labor to remove unit bearing.

Jeep on my friends
The Timken hub that I have was made by ILJIN, who also made the OEM hub.
Is your stud from the dealer so large that it will not press fit into the flange?

Old 02-19-2019, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE - today I received my Dorman # 610.395.1 wheel studs, they installed with ease and my Jeep is back on the road. It is possible the local Jeep dealer sold me the wrong stud as it was too big.

Jeep on my Friends!
Old 12-19-2022, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I just installed my second set of Timken hubs in my Jeep and ran into this same issue. The plugs on the provided sensors would not fit the connector behind the shock tower, and the sensors I had in my previous Timken's (installed since 2016) would not fit in the new ones. looks like they have redesigned and the hole is slightly smaller than the factory & previous models. Over the years I've had to replace those sensors a couple times and I can see nothing but trouble ahead with no availability of an easy replacement of the sensors. The provided sensors were also too short for my suspension (4.5" AEV Dualsport) I had to modify them anyways to be long enough so I took the top half of the factory sensor wire that works with the plug behind the shock tower, and spliced it onto the bottom half of the Timken sensor wire that fits in the hub. Both ends fit and its long enough for the suspension, everything looks good to me! I also noticed they had a sealant on the sensor going into the hub itself, when I reinstalled the Timken sensor I gave it a dab of a clear silicone sealer, maybe that will help prolong the lifespan of the sensor.

I'm not concerned about modifying the wires to work, I needed to do so anyways for the length, its just the availability of replacement sensors that scare me in the long run. a wires a wire, and a pigtail connector is a pigtail connector. The main component that goes bad on those are the actual sensors themselves, and unfortunately that seems to be the main unique piece in this whole puzzle. I'm going to reach out to some of my local Timken sales reps (Mid Atlantic region) and see if I can get my hands on a couple sets so that I have something to work with down the road.

Last edited by MD-08JKUR; 12-19-2022 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Help with Timken Bearing Speed Sensor Replacement - JK