Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Upgrading to 37"s

Old 01-31-2017, 01:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help Upgrading to 37"s

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my 2012 Jeep JKU Sport to 37" tires and all the aftermarket parts that come with that upgrade, however, I am relatively new to the Jeep world (bought it about 8 months ago) and know very little about what parts to buy and where/who to buy them from. I currently have 285s and a 2.5" lift on my Jeep right now. I am planning on upping my suspension to Evo coilovers so the lift won't be a problem. I have read some other threads on this forum and it seems that most people are recommending new steering components, dana 44 front, brakes, ball joints, draglinks, tie rod, and regearing. Is there anything I am missing and what steering components should I get? Also recommended brands and where to buy are very much appreciated. I would also like to get front and rear lockers and a disconnecting sway bar. I plan on doing this over the next year-2 years. I have some experience but not a lot so please try to keep it semi-simple, I am very eager to learn everything I can though. Any help is very much appreciated. And any other parts you think I should upgrade would also greatly help.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You need to go visit Chaos Fab in Nova and get on the Nova Jeepers forum. 37's are too much for the East Coast honestly.

Chaos can get you parts and being a Nova member will get you a discount. Talking with those guys will help you figure out what's really needed and what's just for show.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Thank you.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

I will definitely check out the Chaos website and see what they have to say but I'd still love to hear what you guys have to say about it too. Looking to learn as much as I can!
Old 01-31-2017, 02:38 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

This site has a bunch of good info and some not so good info on going to 37's. You've got to realize whose response you're reading and ensure that they're talking about the same thing you are.

Without some serious cash in the axles for gearing you're going to hate life with 37's on the highway up there. There are threads frequently popping up so opening a few of those will at least set you up with the right questions to talk to the folks at Chaos. I'm thinking and it may be "Full Awn" or something like that is another shop your way that could help you out.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check out Full Awn, and also level iv concepts outside of fredericksburg. i would steer clear of chaos....had a bad experience with them, plus i know quite a few other folks that have had bad experiences there also.

you can run 37s and wheel the jeep on a d30, but you have to be smart about it. if you do keep the d30, i would definately regear, truss, c gussets, chromo shafts, and a selectable locker. just be easy on the skinny pedal with it. im currently running 37" pb rocker radials with 3" of lift and with some trimming it flexes just fine. i still have the factory 4.10 gears (for now) will definately be upgrading in the near future. 6th gear is non existant on the highway.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:15 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

I live in Texas and buying local means paying an additional 8.25% in sales tax. I’m all about getting the best price, and that typically leads me to Northridge 4x4 as I can get a discount on most products with free shipping, not to mention that they have great customer service/support.

It sounds like you have a really aggressive build planned for being pretty new to jeeps. Are you going to be doing your own work along the way, or just paying someone to build this for you? There’s a bit of a learning curve, but if you do it yourself you gain a lot of valuable knowledge that will help you troubleshoot things later down the road. I personally think the best route is to build up on 35s with quality components, and then if you still want to, taking the final leap up to 37s won’t require a whole lot of additional work. The same components need to be replaced along the way, but it’s a little less daunting to address them along the way, and doing so on 35s would allow for the time. For example, you can survive on 35s and a D30 longer than you can on 37s…..which gives you a bit more time to really address the axles and decide which way you want to go with those. On top of starting with a quality lift, and upgrading with quality steering components (TB, DL, and TR), consider what you’re going to do with the following –

Address axles & axle reinforcement (gussets/truss/brackets)/gears/chromoly shafts/lockers cuz D30 and 37s isn’t gonna be a good combo in general.
Ball joints – Rare Parts or Dynatracs
Consider big brake kit
Pick wheels with proper backspacing
Get comfortable with trimming a little pinch seam
If you’re gonna wheel hard consider upgrading the steering box or going hydro

It's not a cheap endeavor, but again....a lot of the cost is the same as if you built it up properly for 35s.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karls10jk
You need to go visit Chaos Fab in Nova and get on the Nova Jeepers forum. 37's are too much for the East Coast honestly. Chaos can get you parts and being a Nova member will get you a discount. Talking with those guys will help you figure out what's really needed and what's just for show.
I'm kinda shocked by this comment. How are 37s too much for the East Coast?

It goes back to the all important question... what is the intended use of the vehicle?
Old 02-01-2017, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ebp 99 si

you can run 37s and wheel the jeep on a d30, but you have to be smart about it. if you do keep the d30, i would definately regear, truss, c gussets, chromo shafts, and a selectable locker. just be easy on the skinny pedal with it. im currently running 37" pb rocker radials with 3" of lift and with some trimming it flexes just fine. i still have the factory 4.10 gears (for now) will definately be upgrading in the near future. 6th gear is non existant on the highway.

You can do lots of things that don't make much sense. Putting a ton of money into a D30 that is still going to be your weak link is at the top of the list. For all the time and expense adding everything you listed, you could be a good portion of the way into a D44, or bigger, and not have to worry about it breaking every time you put it in 4WD.

Also, I'm seeing more and more about all the welding in of supports actually creating more problems when not done properly, and even when done properly. Heating up the factory components changes the temper and other characteristics, leading to failure, despite the added gussets, plating, trusses, etc.

At a bare minimum I'd be on the lookout for a D44 someone took off to upgrade and use that as your baseline.

Making the jump from 35's to bigger is a huge undertaking if you want things to work properly and last. Trying to do it on the cheap will only cost you more down the road.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

I've got to say that this is catching my eye. The advantage is you get the beefier D60 parts and tubes as well as keep your current set of wheels and speed sensors. Down side is you still have the D44 ball joint issue (perhaps the Rare Parts joints will turn out to work) and the wheel bearing assembly. But for a spec'd out price around $5600 it's interesting to me.

https://fusion4x4.com/fusion-4x4/fus...rid-front-axle

UD60s are certainly an amazing choice, but come with need for different wheels, steering components, and probably master cylinder and a base price of nearly $12K just for the axles.

Quick Reply: Help Upgrading to 37"s