Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey guys.. help with Mud and Slick Rocks wheelin.. Thanks

Old 11-14-2017, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey guys.. help with Mud and Slick Rocks wheelin.. Thanks

So i went wheelin this weekend on some private property with a group of friends. This is the first time out running my 37s and 5.13s.. also its a Rubi so its a 4.1 transfer case. Quick Specs - 2014, Rubicon, 2dr, 5.13s, 37s mud grapplers, 6 speed. The trails were pretty muddy due to recent logging of the property. I was running around in 4 wheel low and having more trouble than i expected in some spots. There were several jeeps running 33s with 3.21s and standard JK transfer case not having nearly as much trouble. So i was like wtf is going on here.. i didn't put my lockers on because i didn't think i needed them, so i stick my head out of the window and look at my wheels and they are barely spinning.. i mean barely at all. I'm sure this is due to the gearing. I mean in this situation should i be running in 4 wheel high or what? Also there were some slick rocks that i was having a hell of a time with in 4 wheel low and lockers on.. only thing i can think of is my wheel speed was way to slow. Anybody have any input on this? Thanks for the help
Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely need wheel spin in muddy situations. 4:1 in the rocks is great but not so much in mud and sand. Should stay in four hi and turn the overdrive off.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:18 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Mud, the great equalizer. Even on the rocks, it doesn't take much moisture to make even simple things difficult, moderate things challenging, and difficult things impassable.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

5.13 and 4:1 means your 1st and 2nd gear in 4low are only good for precision dry rock crawling. Like they've said, speed and momentum is needed in mud. Either use the higher gears in 4low or switch to 4hi with the traction control off.

I have 35" terra grapplers and while they're not the best highway tire, they are monsters off-road. I would imagine the mud grapplers would be good in the terrain you're talking about.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepmonger
Definitely need wheel spin in muddy situations. 4:1 in the rocks is great but not so much in mud and sand. Should stay in four hi and turn the overdrive off.
Originally Posted by resharp001
Mud, the great equalizer. Even on the rocks, it doesn't take much moisture to make even simple things difficult, moderate things challenging, and difficult things impassable.
Originally Posted by Smudgeontheglass
5.13 and 4:1 means your 1st and 2nd gear in 4low are only good for precision dry rock crawling. Like they've said, speed and momentum is needed in mud. Either use the higher gears in 4low or switch to 4hi with the traction control off.

I have 35" terra grapplers and while they're not the best highway tire, they are monsters off-road. I would imagine the mud grapplers would be good in the terrain you're talking about.
Thanks guys for the input.. i kinda wish i could run lockers in 4 hi. One of the rock ledges i was trying to climb it would have been nice, it was slick and i needed the wheel speed from 4 hi and lockers. Thanks again
Old 11-16-2017, 06:51 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

1. Was your traction control off? Even with your gearing you should get good tire spin in second or third gear.
2. Tire pressure needs to be real low in mud, what ere you running?
3. That size mud grappler is not good for a jeep as it is E rated and has really stiff sidewalls that wont give you the wide footprint you need for mud and snow.
4. If you have stick you can always run in a higher gear in 4L. I can's see you having an issue running in 4L.
5. In mud, momentum is your friend, never stop in a muddy spot or on a muddy incline or you are screwed. Muddy leges are going to be tough on E rated tires.

Quick Reply: Hey guys.. help with Mud and Slick Rocks wheelin.. Thanks