Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MCE fender flares

Old 09-25-2020, 01:59 AM
twp
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default MCE fender flares

I have been wanting a set of narrow fender flares and found these. I have not found many reviews. Does anyone run these? If so what do you think about them?
Old 09-25-2020, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I run the narrows and they're decent. The rears are about identical to the cut factory flares that I took off, with the exception that these guys have some give to them when you go rub trees. The factory ones were more rigid and would have peeled off the jeep. The fronts- there's a noticeable difference between these and the stock trim I did. I only took an inch or so out of the inner radius so nothing crazy, but enough to open the wheel well up. These open it up a lot more. Installation isn't bad, though I think I'd rather go the traditional nutsert route instead of sheet metal screws that these use with holes in the body. They included LED fender markers (awesome) but they don't function like the stock halogen bulb did so I had to get creative to get a blinker and parking light in the fender- it unfortunately resulted in two lights under there but they are wired so that both are in use for the blinker and only one is a parking light. With recessing them into the fender liner (nope, no cajaones to drill the 3/4" hole in my fender) you don't notice them until they're lit up. Plenty bright during the day, very bright at night.

What I hate about them- the rooster tails on the hood. I have a gravel driveway where water and mud will accumulate. Driving down the driveway- instant mud all over the hood. Driving around town at ~35mph where the roads are wet- same deal. I also dislike them because even though I got them for stupid cheap, I found a set of Nemesis industries flares on Marketplace about 10 minutes after I finished installation and that price was only $500-600 for a set with the reinforcements. I'm sure I'd still have the rooster tails and such with those, but they were my top pick.

So a good product, just not what I had my heart set on. That being said- I MUCH prefer them to the cheap steel flares that everyone else runs. I've got a set on another jeep at the house here and they don't bounce back out if you rub a tree.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:00 AM
twp
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I run the narrows and they're decent. The rears are about identical to the cut factory flares that I took off, with the exception that these guys have some give to them when you go rub trees. The factory ones were more rigid and would have peeled off the jeep. The fronts- there's a noticeable difference between these and the stock trim I did. I only took an inch or so out of the inner radius so nothing crazy, but enough to open the wheel well up. These open it up a lot more. Installation isn't bad, though I think I'd rather go the traditional nutsert route instead of sheet metal screws that these use with holes in the body. They included LED fender markers (awesome) but they don't function like the stock halogen bulb did so I had to get creative to get a blinker and parking light in the fender- it unfortunately resulted in two lights under there but they are wired so that both are in use for the blinker and only one is a parking light. With recessing them into the fender liner (nope, no cajaones to drill the 3/4" hole in my fender) you don't notice them until they're lit up. Plenty bright during the day, very bright at night.

What I hate about them- the rooster tails on the hood. I have a gravel driveway where water and mud will accumulate. Driving down the driveway- instant mud all over the hood. Driving around town at ~35mph where the roads are wet- same deal. I also dislike them because even though I got them for stupid cheap, I found a set of Nemesis industries flares on Marketplace about 10 minutes after I finished installation and that price was only $500-600 for a set with the reinforcements. I'm sure I'd still have the rooster tails and such with those, but they were my top pick.

So a good product, just not what I had my heart set on. That being said- I MUCH prefer them to the cheap steel flares that everyone else runs. I've got a set on another jeep at the house here and they don't bounce back out if you rub a tree.
Thanks for the reply. I don't care for the cheap metal flares that most people run, and don't want to spend a grand on good ones. So when I stumbled across these they caught my eye. I am not to crazy about them coming with sheet metal screws. Seems like there would be a better option. Do you have any pictures of the led lights you put in? Like placement of were you put them?
Old 09-25-2020, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I've only got this one picture but the rear one is a marker that cuts out when the blinker (front) activates. From the factory, they are supposed to only be marker lights but I like the added visibility.

When it's daylight and the lights aren't on, you can hardly see them. I enlarged an existing hole in the liner and then drilled another for the second light.

The following users liked this post:
twp (09-26-2020)
Old 09-27-2020, 07:05 AM
twp
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
I've only got this one picture but the rear one is a marker that cuts out when the blinker (front) activates. From the factory, they are supposed to only be marker lights but I like the added visibility.

When it's daylight and the lights aren't on, you can hardly see them. I enlarged an existing hole in the liner and then drilled another for the second light.

Thanks for the picture. I ordered a set. I got a good deal so thought I would give them a try. No they are backordered so hopefully it want be to long. I might have to do the same thing for turn signal and running light.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

I just found my invoice and apparently they're made/ distributed by Daystar. I bought the cheap-o lights from Amazon, $8 for the pair.
The following users liked this post:
twp (09-27-2020)

Quick Reply: MCE fender flares