Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden Jeep kill switch anyone?

Old 05-01-2012, 09:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It doesn't prevent starting, but not having a key programmed to the vehicle will result in the engine shutting off in 2 seconds.

I suppose any security system can be defeated. I have heard of little devices that can fool the system.
Sad but true! But if there is a relatively simple mod that forces a thief to spend more time and effort, then I am interested!
Old 05-01-2012, 09:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JVDBogart
If the kill switch was between the battery and starter, then it shouldn't affect the current flowing to the radio? I'm no electrician, so feel free to tell me if I am wrong.
Sorry I missed that part I was just thinking of a night switch/battery switch, yeah if you made it just interupt the starter then the rest of the vehicle would still get juice.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

As long as we are on the subject of vehicle theft protection, this is a good place to mention what I learned over the years as a Police Officer. I was a Police Officer in the Phoenix area of Arizona. During that time (maybe even still), Arizona would always rank first in auto theft. It was one of the most common calls I would go on, and it fueled my hatred towards car thieves. After interviewing hundreds of people that just had their vehicle disappear, I could feel the pain and frustration of the victims. It is a very personal crime when someone takes something that many have poured their time, effort, and money into customizing it. The fact that there isn't much you can do to catch the bastard makes it VERY frustrating for sure! I know that it something I NEVER want to experience firsthand. That's why I am always looking for ways to make it more difficult on the would be car thief. Anyways, here is what I learned and maybe it can save someone's Jeep out there!

The first thing to remember is that car thieves are a lazy bunch. They want the quickest and the easiest vehicle to steal. More time and effort equals greater risk, so they seek out the easiest opportunity. The theory is that a thief is not going to spend extra time on a vehicle if there are easier ones available.

I have seen some positive results from using "The Club." Sure they can be defeated, but it takes more time and increases risk. Not worth it to the thief when there are many other vehicles without a club.

Also, a car thief wants to be able to blend in with traffic quickly. When a vehicle theft occurs, the vehicle's description is sent to Police Officers in car laptops. The details provided to officers are make, model, color, license number, and any unique details that stand out. That "stand out" detail is the important one. Car thieves are aware of this and will select cars that don't have any unique details. This is good news for all the modded Jeep owners out there. The more stickers, lift, fancy rims, flames, antennas, WHATEVER the vehicle has, then the less likely a thief will choose it. They want the vehicle they target to look like every other vehicle of that make and model. Nothing that catches a patrol officer's eye as they pass by. Customized license plates help too. It is easier for an officer to remember a license plate that says "JEEPSRULE" rather that "AKW-209" and that increases their risk.

In summary, anything that forces a car thief to take more time and effort, or prevents the vehicle from blending in with other traffic reduces the odds of it being stolen. Just driving a Jeep instead of a Honda Accord helps. Jeeps are unique looking and stick out, and Honda Accords are a dime a dozen and look like every other car.

Just my two cents, I hope it can help someone!
The following users liked this post:
Sixty4x4 (09-28-2020)
Old 05-01-2012, 09:58 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

As long as we are on the subject of vehicle theft protection, this is a good place to mention what I learned over the years as a Police Officer.
What is the rate of vehicles being hauled off, compared to being driven off?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

im going to run one this weekend..... all you need to do is run a wire to J17 (i think whichever fuse is the starter solenoid) and run it to a switch very simple wiring..... if i can find the thread on here where it has been done i will post it.....
Old 05-02-2012, 04:17 AM
JK Newbie

here it is.....

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-e...new-way-89573/
Old 05-02-2012, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Jeeps have had transponder based immobilisers since 2003 which are so good that I have never heard of a Jeep being stolen other than being towed away or the owner leaving the keys in the vehicle.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 2009 JK doesn't have a chipped key, just a an old school chipless one.
My 08 had a chipped key so I'm positive your 09 does. I had a local shop install an aftermarket alarm and remote start, it required a bypass that had to be synced up with my key.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think is a great mod, cheap, easy and serve its purpose.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

This might sound overly simple but in the summer when I have the top off and tube doors on I'm always paranoid someone will push my Jeep down a hill or into the water.
My solution is a very large 3/4" braided steel cable I bought at the motorcycle show and a 2 lb magnezium padlock they use to lock forest service road gates.

One end loops through the steering wheel spokes the padlock gets secured around the clutch pedal arm so you can't push the clutch in or turn the wheel.
I leave the glove box and console wide open so they can see there's nothing there to steal.
Valuables go in a large padlocked Pelican box with another motorcycle chain around the roll bar. Makes me feel safer leaving it while were out hiking and stuff.

Found this out the hard way; if you disconnect power to your ECU it erases stored codes and you'll fail an emissions test.
Takes about two weeks to reset all the stored emissions codes so you can pass and get your friggin tabs.

Quick Reply: Hidden Jeep kill switch anyone?