Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High pitch whistle/whine problems

Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High pitch whistle/whine problems

Happens with my wife in the Jeep.....err.... But no, seriously I've had a high pitch whining/whistling noise coming from the dash or engine compartment and I can't locate it. It happens anytime the accelerator is depressed in neutral, park, or driving. No modifications were done since it started a few months ago. The only mod that could possibly affect this is my K&N filter, not new, but well maintained. Nothing lodged in the intake. Nothing is excessively dirty. No other mods between intake or exhaust.

Dealership suggested a flush of the ....radiator.... maybe. I forget exactly. I do remember they said it would cost over $200 and wasn't guaranteed to fix anything. But according to the local service manager, a few Jeeps (not only JK's) have had an issue of when piping was put together there was some expanding bonding material used which has the potential to restricted flow in said pipe. Thus, possibly making noise. Does this sound legit, or just hogwash? I hate to pay that much $ and not have it fixed.

Any other ideas?
Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

I wouldn't pay money for a fix that wasn't guaranteed unless I understood all the factors into why. Not sure about this piping, so a second opinion might be worth it.

Usually the classic reason for whining from the engine compartment is a worn serpentine belt.

What about removing the intake and see if you still hear it. I had a whining sound from my muffler when I caved it in pretty good.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BigLow
I wouldn't pay money for a fix that wasn't guaranteed unless I understood all the factors into why. Not sure about this piping, so a second opinion might be worth it.

Usually the classic reason for whining from the engine compartment is a worn serpentine belt.

What about removing the intake and see if you still hear it. I had a whining sound from my muffler when I caved it in pretty good.

BigLow, belt is in good condition and taut. I'll try removing the intake later to verify it's not that.

The noise, whatever it is...is REALLY annoying...on par with the most annoying sound in the world
http://youtu.be/0cVlTeIATBs
Old 11-06-2014, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar whine a few years ago. It wasn't the serpentine belt but one of the pullies. The tensioner pulley was going bad so it sounded like a turbo whenever I would give it gas. Started very soft and then just kept getting worse over the course of a couple of weeks. But....the cause of the pulley going was some rather depp water/mud crossings I had done a few days before the initial noise. But you can at least check the pullies and belt pretty easily.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
I had a similar whine a few years ago. It wasn't the serpentine belt but one of the pullies. The tensioner pulley was going bad so it sounded like a turbo whenever I would give it gas. Started very soft and then just kept getting worse over the course of a couple of weeks. But....the cause of the pulley going was some rather depp water/mud crossings I had done a few days before the initial noise. But you can at least check the pullies and belt pretty easily.
Yeah you make a great point about the pulleys. I know of a few idler pulleys that failed on the trail.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:29 AM
JK Newbie

Unhappy (PLEASE HELP) My jeep is making a squealing/whining noise.

Can someone please help us out? The jeep just started making this noise out of nowhere. It makes this noise recorded while driving, but it makes a kind of grinding noise when on park. The truck is still driving perfect except for the noise. It is not stalling, it's changing gears fine and not slipping at all. No check engine light or anything else on, just this noise. Can someone tell us what it most likely is?
It is a 2016 Wrangler.
I've attached a link to the video of my jeep making the noise.
Please help
Old 04-12-2018, 11:17 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,590 Posts

^^THAT is a weird ass noise. Haven't heard that one before, but subscribed to hear others suggestions. dang.....
The following users liked this post:
Laurent0327 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 11:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Laurent0327
Can someone please help us out? The jeep just started making this noise out of nowhere. It makes this noise recorded while driving, but it makes a kind of grinding noise when on park. The truck is still driving perfect except for the noise. It is not stalling, it's changing gears fine and not slipping at all. No check engine light or anything else on, just this noise. Can someone tell us what it most likely is?
It is a 2016 Wrangler.
I've attached a link to the video of my jeep making the noise.
Please help
https://youtu.be/kI-yh3PzsyU

Ooofff that doesn't sound pretty. I'd start by cracking both diff covers open and checking the gears. Never heard this noise before though. Did you buy new? I'd honestly swing by the dealer and put that warranty to work.
The following users liked this post:
Laurent0327 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 11:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BoraBora
Ooofff that doesn't sound pretty. I'd start by cracking both diff covers open and checking the gears. Never heard this noise before though. Did you buy new? I'd honestly swing by the dealer and put that warranty to work.

I bough it a year old but we have done a bunch to it, so we aren't sure how stupid a dealership will get since its lifted. The engine is 100% stock though nothing at all changed in the engine.

Last edited by Laurent0327; 04-13-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Laurent0327
I bough it a year old but we have done a bunch to it, so we aren't sure how stupid a dealership will get since its lifted and on 38's. The engine is 100% stock though nothing at all changed in the engine.
I see stock axles, but more specifically a D30 trying to carry your heavy as balls 38" Mud Grappler and 20" wheel combo. Crack the diffs open and check for any metal chunks, metal shavings in the fluid, etc.

Quick Reply: High pitch whistle/whine problems