Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high tuck exhaust?...but is it quiet?

Old 11-26-2013, 10:41 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up A'sJK. A lot of people are keeping the stock resonator in place and throwing the muffler of their choice right AFTER the stock resonator. It is a 2.5" diameter inlet/outlet. A round style fits nicely. P/N 17263 from us is our 2.5" round. For even more "hi tuck" (but louder) is our Race Bullet in 2.5" P/N 24246.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A'sJK
My solution…

after adding the stock resonator behind the Aero AT2525XL muffler the sound is perfect IMO. The exhaust is deeper than stock but the resonator has removed any drone or excessive noise when getting on the gas. Before when on the gas it sounded a little rice (My wife said it reminded her of high-school). Previously On my 07 I experimented and tried a Gibson and a Banks cat-back system. These all sounded silly to me when getting on the gas so this has been nice to find a good solution that I am happy with. With my 12' I wanted a solution without spending a lot of money or wasting money experimenting too much.

So….At idle and cruising it is barely noticeable, other than a deeper tone, which was what I wanted. Happy to have the stock gigantic muffler out of the way for clearance, which was the primary goal, but not at the sacrifice of sounding silly. I left the loop over the rear axle and have not decided how to finish the exit pipe…if at all.

As far as heat, my exhaust guy confirmed that a free flow exhaust will not generate much heat so I have no concerns with that. I will still probably add some heat shield to the under body side just above the new muffler.

As far a performance….it's a V-6….there's no change. My gas mileage is the same so in theory I have neither gained or lost any performance. After driving it for about 20-30 miles the computer adjusted to the exhaust (slight back-pressure change) and there is no gear searching by the transmission.

Total cost for the muffler was $100 for the AERO AT2525XL shipped to the house. Total cost on welds and such at muffler shop $60. Out the door at $160 and the gigantic muffler is gone and the sound is good. YAY!

One other thing, the factory hanger just above the driver's side rear axle will have to be moved slightly as the stock hanger location will not allow enough clearance for the new muffler (It will make slight contact with the frame rail unless it is moved).

Hope this helps anyone searching for a quieter high-tuck exhaust solution.

Thanks,
A
A, so the only thing you added was the Aero part?
Old 11-26-2013, 12:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

correct...the resonator before the muffler like dynomax said is what most are doing but it was too loud for me...which was the reason i inverted the order. only added part was the aero. it is a popular choice on v6 tacoma forums because its deep...but when on the gas was a little too loud for my tastes...im sure those wanting quieted sound could use this order with most round through-mufflers. bottom line its out of the way and mellow quiet
Old 11-26-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

perfect. what about the exit? is it under the tub or out the back as before?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Freak

i simply unbolted and removed the factory muffler. what is left is the loop/hump over the rear axle. my state requires the exhaust exit to be behind the rear axle.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

i simply unbolted and removed the factory muffler. what is left is the loop/hump over the rear axle. my state requires the exhaust exit to be behind the rear axle.
So I'm finally getting around to this and want some clear instructions for my exhaust shop. Any chance you could post some underneath photos for me?
So the resonator is removed, replaced with the Aero, and then the stock resonator goes on after that, and the stock muffler is removed all together? Just curious how this looks underneath and any figment issues or concerns.

Thank you again!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

I wouldn't say it is super quiet but no drone and probably quieter than most at idle and when not on the gas......quiet enough that my wife wanted one on hers after driving mine. Both of ours are 2 doors, 2.5 exhaust.

BTW, this exhaust fits better than any other out-of-the-box exhaust I have installed on other vehicles we have owned.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wrh3
I wouldn't say it is super quiet but no drone and probably quieter than most at idle and when not on the gas......quiet enough that my wife wanted one on hers after driving mine. Both of ours are 2 doors, 2.5 exhaust. BTW, this exhaust fits better than any other out-of-the-box exhaust I have installed on other vehicles we have owned.
Glad it worked out for you. I've been pleased with my setup after the last few thousand miles.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

after some more searching i may have a solution...leave the muffler in the stock resonator location and place the stock resonator just behind it to quiet it up...there is room...ill report back if i go this route
I just did this exact thing after reading it, it does sound way better, I tired no stock muffler and the resonator replaced with straight through magnaflow, way too ricey. Just clamped the stock resonator behind the magnaflow and 100 % better. I'll have a muffler shop weld it all together in a few days

Quick Reply: high tuck exhaust?...but is it quiet?