Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many miles with RIPP supercharger?

Old 08-08-2011, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles with RIPP supercharger?

I currently have an 07 unlimited. I was looking at trading my current JK in for a new 2010/2011 and I am giving serious thought to installing a RIPP Supercharger on the new one. For the most part I'm pleased with the performance of the 3.8, but I would like a little more kick when taking out of town trips, for passing and hills. My question is: How many less miles can I expect from the motor with a supercharger installed? I've already done gears, intake, exhaust, and chip. I've heard (and we all know what that means) that I'd be lucky to get 50K miles from the motor with a super on it. Thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by tempeyeep
I currently have an 07 unlimited. I was looking at trading my current JK in for a new 2010/2011 and I am giving serious thought to installing a RIPP Supercharger on the new one. For the most part I'm pleased with the performance of the 3.8, but I would like a little more kick when taking out of town trips, for passing and hills. My question is: How many less miles can I expect from the motor with a supercharger installed? I've already done gears, intake, exhaust, and chip. I've heard (and we all know what that means) that I'd be lucky to get 50K miles from the motor with a super on it. Thanks
I expect that if you drive the same way (which is hard to do with all that extra WHP ), maintain your engine properly and ensure the tune doesn't cause detonation, your engine will last just as long as stock. Because the supercharged engine is running more efficiently than a naturally aspirated engine, it may even last longer and should get better MPG. I have heard though that the supercharger itself may only last 100k miles before it needs to be replaced.

I installed the RIPP on my 2008 JKU with around 37,000 miles and only have about 4,000 miles on it since - I love it! I feel that doing the RIPP instead of going for a Hemi conversion was the best damn thing I could have done to my baby and given a second chance would do it again! If I blow my engine at some point, I'll probably get another 3.8l and put the RIPP on that one too
Old 08-09-2011, 07:30 AM
JK Freak

Default 3,000 on mine

I only have 3,000 on mine. It makes a world of difference. I took a 2.5 hour trip two weekends ago. I had a couple of a-holes who when you pass them decide they don't want you to pass or they were going slower than they thought, but do they pass you no they ride next to you on just off one of the corners. I got ticked and pushed the pedal. Next thing I know I went from 75 to 100 (actually over because that is the max on the speedo) and it was cruising.
With the new program the surge issue with cruise is much better.
There is a thread somewhere with mileage and know the test vehicle RIPP is using as over 60,000 on it, I believe.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TN_JK_GA
I only have 3,000 on mine. It makes a world of difference. I took a 2.5 hour trip two weekends ago. I had a couple of a-holes who when you pass them decide they don't want you to pass or they were going slower than they thought, but do they pass you no they ride next to you on just off one of the corners. I got ticked and pushed the pedal. Next thing I know I went from 75 to 100 (actually over because that is the max on the speedo) and it was cruising.
There is a thread somewhere with mileage and know the test vehicle RIPP is using as over 60,000 on it, I believe.
I have the Stage 1 ripp and I have 54,000 miles on my jeep and drive it everyday. As long as you keep up on regular maintenance you will be fine.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:58 AM
JK Freak

Not to hijack, but what MPG are you guys getting?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wecf
Not to hijack, but what MPG are you guys getting?
Pre-RIPP ~14MPG
Post-RIPP ~17MPG

95% city driving. On the highway driving to/from the mountains a few weeks ago, I was up to 23MPG.

Also note that I'm running an Auto with 35" tires and the stock 4.10 gears on my Rubi.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CM5280
I expect that if you drive the same way (which is hard to do with all that extra WHP ), maintain your engine properly and ensure the tune doesn't cause detonation, your engine will last just as long as stock. Because the supercharged engine is running more efficiently than a naturally aspirated engine, it may even last longer and should get better MPG. I have heard though that the supercharger itself may only last 100k miles before it needs to be replaced.

I installed the RIPP on my 2008 JKU with around 37,000 miles and only have about 4,000 miles on it since - I love it! I feel that doing the RIPP instead of going for a Hemi conversion was the best damn thing I could have done to my baby and given a second chance would do it again! If I blow my engine at some point, I'll probably get another 3.8l and put the RIPP on that one too
I agree...there is no reason why the 3.8 won't live a normal lifespan with a S/C installed.

We just installed a Ripp kit on my kids 2011 JK, and it pulls slightly harder on the top end than my 5.7 Hemi JK. I would have never believed it! The beauty is that with the V6, the driving dynamics havn't changed. it's unreal what that extra 400 lbs does to the ride and handling of a JK.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Freak

Default right now

I am get 17 and before 20. Before the latest program I was getting back to the 20. I think the computer has to relearn again. I have a trip to FL coming up next month. 7+ hours that will be the real test.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:12 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the responses. I would like the next JK to be my last for at least a few years, and for myself reliability is a larger concern then performance. Is everyone running the latest Diablo Programming? I'm not to informed on the topic, but from what I understand there was an initial programmer that was being used that was the cause of some headaches. Thanks
Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tempeyeep
The one thing we try to make clear is RIPP tunes on the side of caution - we take a Jeeper and they way they use their Jeeps seriously. Jeeps are not race cars and therefore we are not stretching the tune to maximize every last HP - instead we are utilizing the air volume and much as the boost. Jeepers will drive 2000 miles from home to go 70 miles into the middle of nowhere and we want them to come home safely and problem free.

We know factually our tune is cleaner than the stock mapping, this is most evident in the trans shift point and throttle feel. Most of you will agree from a drivers perspective there was a huge disconnect between what you wanted the JK to do and what it would do - Many of you would step on the accelerator and it simply would not respond... but once you installed our system the throttle and shift point seemed immediately improved.... For example, during part throttle acceleration most of you are not spooling boost - but you know they JK is faster - that's because we tuned into the extra 200-400cfm the blower is delivering... and when you transition to boost we shape our tune around it... making the whole thing feel and perform like a larger engine.

Originally Posted by CM5280

Excellent info... but the Vortech supercharger we use has gone well over 100k for us in our Mitsubishi kits - In-fact when properly maintained the blower will last as long as the engine - Keeping in mind that its over sized and 75% under-driven

Originally Posted by TN_JK_GA
100+ We raced and beat a tuned up Civic with our JK on 37's in a highway past and won...

Originally Posted by BOOST-IT
I agree...there is no reason why the 3.8 won't live a normal lifespan with a S/C installed.

We just installed a Ripp kit on my kids 2011 JK, and it pulls slightly harder on the top end than my 5.7 Hemi JK. I would have never believed it! The beauty is that with the V6, the driving dynamics havn't changed. it's unreal what that extra 400 lbs does to the ride and handling of a JK.
Nice - your not the first one we've heard racing a Hemi JK against our kits and surprising the Hemi guy. The MBRP guys had both a RIPP JK and an Hemi JK and the RIPP JK walked the Hemi from light to light. Cool info though and congrats on the 2011 set up.

RIPPTECH

Quick Reply: How many miles with RIPP supercharger?